Have you needed any warranty work?

Have you ever needed works *under warranty on your ebike?

• Yes. The problem was solved, but only after much insistence / threats / delays

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but the problem has not been solved

• Yes, but I had to return the ebike

• Total voters
How about adding no 8: parts availability: proprietary parts/alternative part sources available.

I feel this would add valuable information since this is an important ebike longevity consideration (at least it was for me) especially since proprietary brand manufacturers and dropshipper alike can quickly go out of business (VanMoof, Gen3), and then your warranty is pretty useless anyways.

However, ebikes with commonly available parts, e.g Bafang, Jiabo etc. ecosystems, will have an advantage in terms of longevity of ebikes not only for the diy crowd.

I’ve started my own eBike repair business, (working out of my garage) and have been doing it for two years now.
This is awesome. We need way more small repair businesses. I actually played with the idea as a kind of early retirement hobby and/or business idea. However, I would do kind of the opposite: refurbish cheap Chinese ebikes, initially focusing on a small set of reliable models. Probably something people working out of garages are initially better suited to do than current bike shops.

I think this is going to be a huge market in a few years, at least for some economically viable business models around. My book would be called, “The silent environmental cost of the ebike industry: possible solutions, part 1”

Not to take this thread too far off topic but warranty is definitely related.

I’m in the process of applying for liability insurance. IF I can get an actual quote (not assured AT ALL) it will be more than $6000/yr.

This in all likelihood will be a major challenge for me and I might have to pack it in. Ambulance chasing lawyers are circling my paid off house!

I’d love to continue repairing and building. Warranty is only for the big brands. Small and low income people are grist for the big fish. Sorry, I digress.

Not to take this thread too far off topic but warranty is definitely related.

I’m in the process of applying for liability insurance. IF I can get an actual quote (not assured AT ALL) it will be more than $6000/yr.

This in all likelihood will be a major challenge for me and I might have to pack it in. Ambulance chasing lawyers are circling my paid off house!

I’d love to continue repairing and building. Warranty is only for the big brands. Small and low income people are grist for the big fish. Sorry, I digress.
I hear ya....and that's exactly what we often hear from many mom-and-pop old-fashioned bike shop owners when they refuse to lay hand on cheap ebikes even without battery installed. The US "vulture" lawsuit culture is certainly a nightmare in this regard.

Definitely need to wait for coming ebike legislation, if set up as a proper business. Maybe the right-to-repair legislation and some waiver of liability forms, like in ebike rental shops, may or may not offer solutions here. I guess if someone developed mass produced "refurbishing" kits with UL-certified motors, controller, and batteries, this would also help in this regard.

Inadequate brakes are an issue with most e-bikes. Just like a car, a bike does most of its braking with the front wheel. Most mfgrs use 160mm front and rear rotors. On almost every e-bike I own I have upgraded to 203mm front rotors, and 180mm rear rotors and used ceramic resin brake pads. Then all is great.
That's funny. This is exactly what I told the shop when I first changed the REAR brake. I agree with you, but they said that most of the braking is done by the rear brake because there is most of the weight. And actually this is the one that got replaced first on my ebike.

I wonder if this depends on whether one rides mainly on hilly terrain and/or unsealed roads (less traction on the front wheel) or on flat.

That's funny. This is exactly what I told the shop when I first changed the REAR brake. I agree with you, but they said that most of the braking is done by the rear brake because there is most of the weight. And actually this is the one that got replaced first on my ebike.

I wonder if this depends on whether one rides mainly on hilly terrain and/or unsealed roads (less traction on the front wheel) or on flat.
This is false, except maybe on cruisers at low speed.

When we brake, the weight shifts forward, so that most of the work is done by the front. The more forward the weight bias, the more extreme this is.

A sport motorcycle's front brakes do up to 90% of the work. A standard motorcycle would be more like 75-80%. Something like a Harley cruiser would probably be more like 70%, and probably more, the faster the bike is going.

If a rear brake wears first on a bicycle, it's because it's under-spec'd. or the rider is relying on it too heavily.

To demonstrate this to yourself, get going maybe 15 - 20 mph in a place with a lot of room to stop and use only the rear brake to stop yourself, as quickly as possible. On your bike you will probably find that you can lock up the rear tire, as good mountain bikes usually have very strong brakes.

Or, I bet there are good YouTube videos demonstrating this.

Try the same thing using only the front brake. You would likely go over the bars before you lock the front brake, since most of the weight will have shifted to that front tire.

I agree. I just reported their opinion.

One hypothesis is that because the slopes here are really high, I tend to use the rear brake more than the front one downhill (when it is required) to avoid... capsizing. Yes, it almost happened many times.

This is false, except maybe on cruisers at low speed.

When we brake, the weight shifts forward, so that most of the work is done by the front. The more forward the weight bias, the more extreme this is.

A sport motorcycle's front brakes do up to 90% of the work. A standard motorcycle would be more like 75-80%. Something like a Harley cruiser would probably be more like 70%, and probably more, the faster the bike is going.

If a rear brake wears first on a bicycle, it's because it's under-spec'd. or the rider is relying on it too heavily.

To demonstrate this to yourself, get going maybe 15 - 20 mph in a place with a lot of room to stop and use only the rear brake to stop yourself, as quickly as possible. On your bike you will probably find that you can lock up the rear tire, as good mountain bikes usually have very strong brakes.

Or, I bet there are good YouTube videos demonstrating this.

Try the same thing using only the front brake. You would likely go over the bars before you lock the front brake, since most of the weight will have shifted to that front tire.
That's what I thought as well. Same with car and truck brakes. The front wears out faster due to the physics of braking, unless you constantly haul lots of heavy stuff.

I agree. I just reported their opinion.

One hypothesis is that because the slopes here are really high, I tend to use the rear brake more than the front one downhill (when it is required) to avoid... capsizing. Yes, it almost happened many times.
Got to be gentle with the front, especially on loose surfaces and around corners.

Going downhill, don't avoid the front; just be gradual with your application of it. You can brake hard, just not all at once!

good front brake modulation is wut i rely upon while goin down hill

Back