What class of ebike do you own??

We carry eBike 5 brands, and I only demo Class 3 bikes...I like to ride fast on back roads and gravel trails. Its hard for us to sell an eBike without a throttle...any brand that does not include a throttle is just arrogant, at least give customers the option to use it if they wish.

There is not enough legal distinction between legit eBikes and e-Dirt Bikes....most of us here know the difference when we see it. The rules need to distinguish the two somehow, and not just by the dirtbike having mock pedals. My Mokwheel is not tearing up any trails like a Sur Ron does.

There is not enough legal distinction between legit eBikes and e-Dirt Bikes....most of us here know the difference when we see it. The rules need to distinguish the two somehow, and not just by the dirtbike having mock pedals. My Mokwheel is not tearing up any trails like a Sur Ron does.
Bingo. Most of the utube idiocy I've seen is on such machines. Problem is, those not intricate in the tech can't tell the difference, and we're tarred along with the scofflaws.

Me and the missus at least slow down and look, at stop signs, obey red lights, and try and let cars going right around us at stop lights. We signal turns and let car traffic by. We've ridden slowly for fractions of a block on sidewalks, when they are empty. It slows us down almost not at all, and it's safer.

Well put Big Oil...here is one criteria to help authorities distinguish between eBikes and eDirt Bikes...if the rider can rip a wheelie at will, it is definitely NOT an eBike, and should not be allowed to run on the street without reg, insurance, and a MC license.

Are those restrictions enforced? If so, then I see your point. Also, you might fare better in national parks with a class 1. I don't want to go all politicy, but 45 did a good deed when he loosened up e bike access to national park trails. Much of that was rescinded by 46, but it might have been that there were too many wild childs on those trails.. I think you can find utubes of such idiocy in this forum. When e bike usage gets restricted in your area, you'll know why.
I see a lot of comments about enforcement, (or lack of enforcement). It seems that the consensus is that a law that isn’t being actively enforced can be ignored. That mindset doesn’t hold up if there is an accident. If you find yourself in court and it turns out that you were knowingly violating the law, you are pretty much screwed, especially if it is a civil case. Think of someone that always gets away with driving around after having four beers. They don’t get pulled over, but then they hit a pedestrian or have any sort of accident. If they are over the legal limit, everything changes. The same thing can happen if you have a mishap while riding where your type of bike doesn’t belong.

Maybe we should consider obeying the law because it is there for the common good rather than just thumbing our noses at the laws because they are hard to enforce and we are getting away with it. For the record, on the rare occasion that I ride on an MUP, I don’t want to have to put up with a bunch of yahoos that are clowning around on their little electric dirt bikes.

A video was posted on this forum recently showing a large group of unclassed “ebike” riders in Maryland. They were going off the path and had no regard for the place where they were riding, but they seemed to feel that they were victims when the were stopped. Instead of having their bikes confiscated and being fined, they got off easy with a few getting warnings. Other videos show groups riding what are basically electric dirt bikes on public paths, riding off onto the grass, riding way too fast and often riding wheelies, even when riding near pedestrians And giggling like a bunch of little kids.

I don’t care if someone with a class 2 or 3 rides where only class 1 is allowed as long as they are riding their bike as if it was a class 1, but that same rider has nothing to complain about if they get caught. That is is risk that they choose to take. I do have an issue with people that are riding these little electric dirt bikes that can ruin it for everyone.

I see a lot of comments about enforcement, (or lack of enforcement). It seems that the consensus is that a law that isn’t being actively enforced can be ignored. That mindset doesn’t hold up if there is an accident. If you find yourself in court and it turns out that you were knowingly violating the law, you are pretty much screwed, especially if it is a civil case. Think of someone that always gets away with driving around after having four beers. They don’t get pulled over, but then they hit a pedestrian or have any sort of accident. If they are over the legal limit, everything changes. The same thing can happen if you have a mishap while riding where your type of bike doesn’t belong.

Maybe we should consider obeying the law because it is there for the common good rather than just thumbing our noses at the laws because they are hard to enforce and we are getting away with it. For the record, on the rare occasion that I ride on an MUP, I don’t want to have to put up with a bunch of yahoos that are clowning around on their little electric dirt bikes.

A video was posted on this forum recently showing a large group of unclassed “ebike” riders in Maryland. They were going off the path and had no regard for the place where they were riding, but they seemed to feel that they were victims when the were stopped. Instead of having their bikes confiscated and being fined, they got off easy with a few getting warnings. Other videos show groups riding what are basically electric dirt bikes on public paths, riding off onto the grass, riding way too fast and often riding wheelies, even when riding near pedestrians And giggling like a bunch of little kids.

I don’t care if someone with a class 2 or 3 rides where only class 1 is allowed as long as they are riding their bike as if it was a class 1, but that same rider has nothing to complain about if they get caught. That is is risk that they choose to take. I do have an issue with people that are riding these little electric dirt bikes that can ruin it for everyone.
You're confusing non idiocy with teutonic obedience of ridiculous laws that are both poorly conceived and enforced only against those idiots. I don't make full stops at every stop sign, If there aren't cars behind me I weave around pot holes. I ride on any trails that appear to be little used - while using full consideration of both peds and non e bikers. If I can ride around traffic jams by riding slowly a part of a block on a little used sidewalk, I do it. I follow right has right of way at stops, and wave thanks to those I'm riding thru in front of, even though I don't have to.

Common sense. We need more of it.

You're confusing non idiocy with teutonic obedience of ridiculous laws that are both poorly conceived and enforced only against those idiots. I don't make full stops at every stop sign, If there aren't cars behind me I weave around pot holes. I ride on any trails that appear to be little used - while using full consideration of both peds and non e bikers. If I can ride around traffic jams by riding slowly a part of a block on a little used sidewalk, I do it. I follow right has right of way at stops, and wave thanks to those I'm riding thru in front of, even though I don't have to.

You’re confusing common sense with anarchy. Civil disobedience to bring about change is one thing, but disregard for laws that you arbitrarily decide are “ridiculous” or “poorly conceived” is a big part of the problem. You can find a reason to disregard any law based on what you said, but that doesn’t make it right. It just means that the violator is entitled and feels that they are above the law as demonstrated by the yahoos on the Sur Rons.

Class 1. Ribble ALe Hybrid. Road tyres. Pedal Assist. What drew me to the Ribble ALe was the weight. 15Kg. (Includes mudguards, Metal rack). Quite happy to travel at 15.5 on our roads. Any quicker and I'b be road kill for the muppet drivers who do a right turn in front of you, which happens on a regular basis in Birmingham suburbs.

In EU there is no class, as far as I understand.

The law is precisely the way that complex societies have invented to get around the limits of common sense (and distraction, ignorance, cognitive bias, IQ distribution, etc.) that are typical of most people and, in a sense, of literally everyone. If there were no law, people would not drive on the right in the US.

Where I live, people are incredibly compliant with the law. For example, they will never overtake a bicycle if there is no room to move to the opposite lane, even if it means waiting in a long queue for 10 minutes. I like and feel safe with that. And I try to obey the rules as much as I can.

My reply is not going to help you. I'm an eBike-aholic. I have:
  • A Class 3 (my favorite, a Aventon Level.2, my commuter and grocery-getter),
  • A Class 2 (Lectric XP Lite, a lightweight folder), and
  • A Class 1 (Electra Townie GO! 7D, my wife's cruiser)
I have a "Class 4" eMoped on the way, which I intend to ride most often at Class 3 speed, but with throttle. It will go over 30, but I plan to keep it to 25 or 28.
Mucho mucho thanks for providing above explanation....really helps someone (like me) understand the different types available.....

Unrestricted, cyc photon.

Although it is hard to use more than 400 or 500w when using the torque driven system.

Mucho mucho thanks for providing above explanation....really helps someone (like me) understand the different types available.....
You're welcome.

If you decide to convert an "mBike", be sure to take braking into account, as well as something sturdy to brace the reaction arm against. Most mechanical bikes have brakes to stop the bike at speeds of under 20 mph, as that's where they're operating most of the time. When you add weight and speed, you may find that the existing brakes are no longer up to snuff.

If you put a hub motor kit on an mBike, it needs some sort of reaction arm to brace against the frame to spin the wheel. If this is not done in some kind of sturdy manner, it can really mess things up.

For these reasons, converting mBikes is more of a hobby. Akin to putting a 2-stroke engine kit on a bicycle; it can be hazardous, as you are the "Experimental Test Pilot."

The ONLY UK LEGAL class 250 watt

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 31
Back