What class of ebike do you own??

B

blakeman62

Just wondering what class of ebike is the most popular with members here? and the reason or reasons why you bought the class of ebike you did?
Thank you for answering

Just wondering what class of ebike is the most popular with members here? and the reason or reasons why you bought the class of ebike you did?
Thank you for answering
My wife and I both own Class 1 mid drives. We are both retired and are long time cyclists. We enjoy cycling and the bicycles themselves, so we wanted to keep it as bicycle like as possible. We have no regrets after two seasons.

I have no idea which class of ebike is most popular. Different riders have different needs and wants. Class 1 works for us, but it isn’t for everyone.

I'm saying class 3++ cause I like speed & power. Lmao mine might be considered a emoped, but it's got that pedal loophole I can ride for now.
20231023_113331.jpg

Ours are class 2 although they probably go a little faster than 20 mph. My wife would get tired before me on a ride so I decided to convert hers. It took her several tries to find the perfect acoustic bike for her so it was easier to convert what she had. When I finished hers I liked it so much I converted my bike as well. We ride mostly paved trails or sidewalks. Unless there is no other option, we don't ride with traffic on the street. Pas 1 is about 11 mph and we use that setting most of the time, using our power until slipping under the threshold on a hill. My wife likes to use the throttle as a head start when crossing a street from a stop.

Well, now my answer needs to be updated. Now a second class 3. Just got one for my wife. She is "altitude challenged". Had a dickens of a hard time finding one which had a seat height of 30 inches, but had a 750W motor and a 15AH or higher battery, step through and folding (for her royal minisculeness).

My reply is not going to help you. I'm an eBike-aholic. I have:
  • A Class 3 (my favorite, a Aventon Level.2, my commuter and grocery-getter),
  • A Class 2 (Lectric XP Lite, a lightweight folder), and
  • A Class 1 (Electra Townie GO! 7D, my wife's cruiser)
I have a "Class 4" eMoped on the way, which I intend to ride most often at Class 3 speed, but with throttle. It will go over 30, but I plan to keep it to 25 or 28.

Class 3+, on all four e-bikes I own. They can all be configured to class 3 or class 1 in the display. I’ve done that a few times when I thought I needed too, but quickly realized no one cares, no one asks, and no one has any ability to check, so I just leave them unlock so I don’t have any artificial limits.

2. 750 watt class 2s with mid drives and IGH's. My IGH is a Shimano dedicated 5 speed e bike IGH and my wife's is an Envioili auto shift. ~2.6 and ~3.8 ranges respectively. I mention these because we replaced a four wheel vehicle with them. We use them to ride all around south St. Louis and tow a single wheel Bob trailer for groceries and bev's, up and down our hilly domain.. We need the IGH range to get up those hills, and we like the ease of use and maintenance of the IGH's. Also enough torque to the rear wheel(s) to go on trails when we travel. Class 3's would not fit on the rack on the back of our trailer.

Our 5 year old bikes have among the first affordable mid drives. I'm sure the newer bikes are even better. We wouldn't own hub motored bikes, but I'm sure they work for rec and light users.

Thank you for answering
My bike's got no class, cheap & expendable. None-the-less, just turned 7K miles, still rides like new cuz I take care of it

Mod drive torque to an IGH seems like a breakage waiting to happen. Especially pulling a trailer.
Yes, except for the old Sturmey Archer 3 speeds, many were girley in the old days. But check out the Shimano e IGH line up. And the Envioli IGH's are used on cargo bikes. I like the ease of shifting, the protection from the elements, and the ability to shift up and down at any speed.

The name of the game is to get max input torque ratings in advance, and then to do the sprocket arithmetic with the combined torque that your legs and motor can bring to bear, to see if you have a rating well above what you can apply. Easy to do and I'm happy to help.

I went with a class 1 as California has restrictions on us on the bike trails. So I have a Bafang 750 w motor on my bike today. It is a new experience for me and I enjoy riding the trails along the river today.
Are those restrictions enforced? If so, then I see your point. Also, you might fare better in national parks with a class 1. I don't want to go all politicy, but 45 did a good deed when he loosened up e bike access to national park trails. Much of that was rescinded by 46, but it might have been that there were too many wild childs on those trails.. I think you can find utubes of such idiocy in this forum. When e bike usage gets restricted in your area, you'll know why.

Back