Weather or not to ride

After a mild start to our winter we got a cold snap. The fat bike singletrack trails were like paved trails through the woods thanks to the warming/freezing cycles. That all changed a week and a half ago with minus 25 celcius temps and a huge wind chill effect. Even though it's still better than west of my city where the temps a couple provinces over hit minus 40 it's still past my preferred riding conditions.
Will head out tomorrow though, it's due to warm up to minus 17 which in farenheit is close to minus 2.
The OM for my Ride1Up Revv1 states that it should not be ridden in wet environments (rain and snow). I hit a small patch of water a storm drain (from someone overwatering their lawn), and the bike started to go out from under me. Riding on pavement, I would wait a day or two after the pavement dries, BUT for dirt, I would wait for it to no longer be mud. Remember, ice (I would clump packed snow into the category as ice) has no friends.

The OM for my Ride1Up Revv1 states that it should not be ridden in wet environments (rain and snow). I hit a small patch of water a storm drain (from someone overwatering their lawn), and the bike started to go out from under me.
Was it ice near the storm drain, or you're saying the tires hydroplane?

Riding on pavement, I would wait a day or two after the pavement dries, BUT for dirt, I would wait for it to no longer be mud.
Those tires have big flat lugs; seems like they would be OK in dirt, even loose dirt, if you deflated them halfway first.

Remember, ice (I would clump packed snow into the category as ice) has no friends.
Studs are OK on ice, actually probably better than they are on dry pavement.

Was it ice near the storm drain, or you're saying the tires hydroplane?

Those tires have big flat lugs; seems like they would be OK in dirt, even loose dirt, if you deflated them halfway first.

Studs are OK on ice, actually probably better than they are on dry pavement.
Between the angle that I was leaning the bike, the fact that there was water present, and that I’ve done this on dry pavement……it’s the bike, at certain points the bike will go out from underneath you in a turn. This bike doesn’t come with “big fat lugs,” it’s more like everyday street tires, 1/4” deep (maybe shallower) grooves. Besides, how does one hydroplane at 5-10mph?

Back