Tong Sheng TSDZ-2 issue, and is Eco Cycles in TN still in business?

mwhipple

Local time
1:39 PM
Last fall I purchased a TongSheng TSDZ-2 kit from Eco Cycles to mount on a recumbent. Worked great - until recently. I have the 860c display and it's saying "Error brakes or comms" and no response from the motor. Fully charged battery. I don't have brakes connected, although I do have a throttle. I've disconnected/reconnected all the cabling. Still not luck. I'm guessing the controller is fried - any thoughts?

The Eco Cycles site has had an Opening Soon page for some time now, with an explanation that there were issues updating the web site. Calls and emails to Eco Cycles have not been answered. Anyone know what's going on with this shop? David was great to work with until now.

Thanks,
Mark Whipple
Boston, MA

Volae Expedition with Tong Sheng TSDZ-2 mid-drive

What did you do with your eBike after that last Successful Ride ?

You said - "I don't have brakes connected," - please correct me if I am wrong - not having brakes connected to me is the same as having open circuit - meaning motor cutoff.

You said - "I don't have brakes connected," - please correct me if I am wrong - not having brakes connected to me is the same as having open circuit - meaning motor cutoff.
That is incorrect. Closing the circuit shuts off the motor.

I have my brake sensors disconnected and have no problems.

I don't really see the need for brake sensors I always stop pedaling before I put on the brakes, and would let off the throttle if I had one.

I also have the motor setting so that it doesn't engage until I have pedaled about a quarter turn so that you don't have the motor come on when you are walking the bike and bump a pedal.

I don't think this could be the case as the motor would have never worked if that was true, right? Have you reached out to the motor mfg? Maybe search for another dealer that works with that system.

Sorry, I thought I replied but it didn't go through.

I don't have brakes, I have a throttle instead.

After the last successful ride (probably in July?) I parked the bike in its usual spot in my basement and removed the battery for recharging.

Mark

Sorry, I thought I replied but it didn't go through.

I don't have brakes, I have a throttle instead.

After the last successful ride (probably in July?) I parked the bike in its usual spot in my basement and removed the battery for recharging.

Mark
I have had a very similar issue: power on 860c (OSF firmware 0.20.1c-4) and first get "Wait TSDZ2" for about 45 seconds, then "Error brakes or comms". After trying everything with cables (even swapping some out) it was decided that the controller was bad. Exchanged the controller and found that the original one looked fine. After reconnecting/reassembling and doing a test ride, everything seemed fine. I then spent quite a bit of time going through the configuration screens, making changes where necessary. I then accidentally either did one of these two things:
1. turned off the battery while the display was still on and then hit the display power button
-or-
2. powered off the display, then turned off the battery and then powered on the display again.

Whichever of these two I did -- the display flashed on for a brief moment. I then realized the batter was off and turned it back on. Then powering on the display got the dreaded "Wait TSDZ2" followed by "Error brakes or comms"! This was my original problem before the controller swap. Interestingly enough, even though the display shows "Wait TSDZ2", long pressing the M button will go into the configuration menu which appears to be fully functional. Hitting the power button to exit the configuration menu will then bring up the normal display EXCEPT battery power shows zero and there is no pedal assist. Sigh. My suspicion is that hitting the power button with the battery off somehow put the controller into a strange state. I am not going to try anything else until I get some expert guidance. I would like to do a factory reset of the controller, but I will hold off on that for now.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any ideas?

--peter

Back