Replace cells in a proprietary pack.Emotion battery

J

James340

I would like to have a dead battery recelled.What is up with getting a battery repaired?I would assume the BMS ect... Could be used & just replace the factory cells?Thanks for your time I live in Arizona west of Phoenix.It seems like Battery+ or something similar would be able to do it.Thanks for your time

Yes, if you still have a branch of Battery+ still in business, they would be my first choice. You would do best sourcing and purchasing your own cells, and simply have them assemble it. This way you avoid their steep mark-up on cells.

Step one would be for you to carefully disassemble the case, and remove the tape holding the battery pack together. Read the type of battery they used (from the printing on the battery). Get equal or better batteries. The specs you are looking for is:
1. Type, most likely Lithium Ion.
2. mAh rating on the batteries, get equal or higher.
3. Discharge current, (you will have to look up the model number of the cells, and see what they were rated at). Equal or higher is what you need.
4. Charging current, look it up like you did on item 3. Equal or higher is what you need.

Yes, if you still have a branch of Battery+ still in business, they would be my first choice. You would do best sourcing and purchasing your own cells, and simply have them assemble it. This way you avoid their steep mark-up on cells.

Step one would be for you to carefully disassemble the case, and remove the tape holding the battery pack together. Read the type of battery they used (from the printing on the battery). Get equal or better batteries. The specs you are looking for is:
1. Type, most likely Lithium Ion.
2. mAh rating on the batteries, get equal or higher.
3. Discharge current, (you will have to look up the model number of the cells, and see what they were rated at). Equal or higher is what you need.
4. Charging current, look it up like you did on item 3. Equal or higher is what you need.
I emailed a couple of companies that advertise.One sent a quote $800 with no guarantees.Those Battery+ store can build a pack?I know cell and quantity needed.I will email &ask.Thanks for the information

I emailed a couple of companies that advertise.One sent a quote $800 with no guarantees.Those Battery+ store can build a pack?I know cell and quantity needed.I will email &ask.Thanks for the information
I know for a fact they rebuild Lithium power tool battery packs. It is the same sort of cells, and the same spot welding technique used to build those power tool packs.

I know for a fact they rebuild Lithium power tool battery packs. It is the same sort of cells, and the same spot welding technique used to build those power tool packs.
The battery is from 2013.18650 2200mah Samsung cell.10s4p.

The battery is from 2013.18650 2200mah Samsung cell.10s4p.
Okay 40 cells, 36V 8.8 Ah. There is probably a bit more on the cells to identify which sub-variant they are. Cells of that rating (or higher) would be a snap to find. I have some I used in other equipment which are 3200mAh, that would be about 12.8Ah of capacity, almost 1/3rd more than original capacity.

The Samsung 35E 18650 battery has a rating of 3500mAh, and 8A discharge rate (times four because your pack is 10S4P, thus 32 Amps). That would get you about 14Ah of capacity. Those batteries, in a quantity of 40, are about 5 bucks apiece, or $200 plus tax and shipping.
As long as your Battery Management System (BMS) is 30 amps or less, this would potentially work for you. If your BMS is higher current, than you will need a slightly more expensive cell.

The Imren 18650 3500mah battery offers a 10.5Amp continuous discharge current per cell (times 4), and would support a BMS of up to 40 amps of discharge rate. It costs about 6.50 per cell in a quantity of 40. (plus tax and shipping).

There are many sellers of it. Just pick someone stateside, with a good reputation who does not sell counterfeit cells.

I suggest, but cannot promise that IMRBATTERIES dot com is a decent source.

Look at the printing on your BMS. Most of it is written in High Mandarin, but usually the values are Arabic numbers (numbers we recognize).
In this example, this is a 35Amp max discharge rate BMS, with a maximum charging rate of 5Amp.
BMS 35 Amp Discharge 5 Amp charge.jpg

Back