Michigan regulations

On a local multiuse path near me the police sometimes patrol on gas powered quads. If I see them I always gave a little wave and smile, never been stopped or questioned. As others have stated here, ride responsibly and usually all is good.

Ride with them and talk to them.
I sometimes ride a few blocks with the local bike/ebike police in the summer. It's nice to get to know them and what they think.

;)

Been riding on the streets for years and have been paced by squad cars at 30-32 mph, radar'd by motorcycle/traffic officers and cruisers. Chatted with a few at bike racks who were seriously just curious about the (at the time) twin-hub awd bike where each motor was 750w. Nobody cared about motor markings or power levels. Or speed for that matter. Remember... ebikes do not have SPEED limits, they have ASSIST limits. Meaning the bike can still go as fast as you please so long as it is safe for conditions just like any other vehicle on the road. Tthe electric assist has to self-govern itself to shut off at a certain speed. Thats not something that can be determined at a glance.

Heck I have been radar'd coming down on the back side of an overpass by a speed trap motorcycle cop ensconced behind a bush and I'm pedaling at 36 mph; taking advantage of the grade for a boost just like anyone on any bike.

I'm presenting as a commuter. In the street on the roadside bike lane. Daytime headlights on. Solid and blinking taillights. Helmet. Pedaling. Not hooning around in traffic, filtering between cars, doing wheelies or whizzing past small children on a bike path. Ride like an as***le and thats when you are going to be talking to the cops and walking home. But ride like a citizen and you'll be treated like one.

Back