Hostel Shoppe Catrike Conversion

Sunibill

Local time
2:06 AM
Hello my first post to the Forum. I've searched around and have not found this in discussion. I've converted a few Trikes to Ebikes both the front wheel kits and L-faster 750 watt rear motor assemblys. My uncle has asked me to convert his Hostel Shoppe Catrike It would be one of the most expensive bike I've ever molested and as this is my favorite Uncle I would like to do right by him. His age has caught up with him and he no longer enjoys the challenge of a good hill. He confines himself to trails only in good weather. I'm just begining to research this converison and I'm thinking A Voilamart waterproof 750 watt rear wheel kit with PAS may be the best option. Or Bafang kit Or blow this off as a bad idea. I'd like to thank anyone in advance for the input

Hey, Welcome to the forums :cool:

Take a look through here it may give you some ideas:

Hello my first post to the Forum. I've searched around and have not found this in discussion. I've converted a few Trikes to Ebikes both the front wheel kits and L-faster 750 watt rear motor assemblys. My uncle has asked me to convert his Hostel Shoppe Catrike It would be one of the most expensive bike I've ever molested and as this is my favorite Uncle I would like to do right by him. His age has caught up with him and he no longer enjoys the challenge of a good hill. He confines himself to trails only in good weather. I'm just begining to research this converison and I'm thinking A Voilamart waterproof 750 watt rear wheel kit with PAS may be the best option. Or Bafang kit Or blow this off as a bad idea. I'd like to thank anyone in advance for the input

If his problem is hills, I would seriously consider mid-motor as a main option. They do better with hills. The real concern is What type of incline are we talking about.
You can research this by using a protractor app on your phone and laying it sideways on his worst hill and measuring.
Some apps measure in degrees and some can convert to measure includes in percentages.
My wife has no problem climbing 20 degree inclines while pedaling using PAS 1. While I struggled using an older MTB bike in low gears.
A mid-motor Bafang 750 watt (BBS02) would have been able to do this in lowest gear and a Bafang 1,000 Watt (BBSHD) wouldn't have even noticed there WAS an incline.

The trail is the Virginia Capital Trail he (my uncle) who is 78. He purchased this catrike expidition but still complains of the hills The factory electric mod would run another 3500 and it is a mid motor with a single front chain ring, keeping the 10 speed scram rear. I feel that a rear wheel motor drive has some advantages (like no chain stretch) but then I could go wild and replace his two front wheels with 250 watt motors But I have other projects I can go wild on . As I live far away from him ease of maintance and reliability is more important than pimping his ride.

hmmm,interesting a mid drive would be my second choice,you may have to change the cassette or freewheel the hub drives are plenty powerful you can even get a torquey 750 watt 36 volt one if you desire and if you are thinking about a 3 wd drive i would definitly go 36 volt( you can find some good bafang hubdrive fwd units for peanuts and a strong 500 watter would work in the rear- ebikeling makes good conversion kits as well as violamart i think the AW group sells the strong 750 watt 36 volt hub drive, the back would be ideal for a hub drive and i take it he doesnt mind adding a little torque to the picture. I consider myself a weak peddler and the 500 and 750 hub drives have me zipping up the hills( very steep 40 mph coasters in pas1,third or fourth gear between 10-12 mph. i am currently converting a vevor delta to a 750 watt front drive( for the flat and gentle grades

Back