Michigan regulations

Liam52

Local time
3:42 AM
Hey guys, I received my 1000 watt rear 'AW' brand kit on Friday, now I find that my state, Michigan, limits us to 750 watts. I own this mistake and will return it unless there is a 'work around' for these laws. Any suggestions?

See if this will fit for your kit... If everythig everything will hook up you will have also 2 blue wires you can hook up to make it 750 watts
or unhook the blue wires for "off road" ;)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
For a 1000 watt direct drive motor I was running I installed Cycle Analyst by Grin Industries. It enabled me to set the power to various limits. Here 500 watts is the limit so thats what I normally set it to. Although I had a heck of a time figuring out how to hook it up to my Magic Pie motor and it was not cheap.

See if this will fit for your kit... If everythig everything will hook up you will have also 2 blue wires you can hook up to make it 750 watts
or unhook the blue wires for "off road" ;)

Hello Human. No, mine has no blue wires like that. https://www.amazon.com/AW-Electric-Conversion-Powerful-Controller/dp/B00Q8JT9H2?th=1
This is my kit, throttle only.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
For a 1000 watt direct drive motor I was running I installed Cycle Analyst by Grin Industries. It enabled me to set the power to various limits. Here 500 watts is the limit so thats what I normally set it to. Although I had a heck of a time figuring out how to hook it up to my Magic Pie motor and it was not cheap.
Thanks Hugh, I will look into that.

So just be sure, check the wiring and see if it will hook up correctly...that way
you can find a switch to hook to those 2 blue wires and you can run it @750W
then at the press of a button you can go into "off road", the 1000w mode.

hope this helps :)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Curious....does someone really ever check the motor in Michigan......paint over the 1000....install....go ride.
I've had bicycle cops and patrol car cops tell me the same thing...don't be curb hoppin, don't be going 30 in a 25,
respect the pedestrians, be kind to others, keep your head on a swivel and don't be a butt head ....

Pretty much ride safely and dont ride like an idiot lol

Curious....does someone really ever check the motor in Michigan......paint over the 1000....install....go ride.
I live one block from the police department. Multiple cruisers go past my house during shift changes. Safe area... you bet. I have seen them talking to one ebike rider. So...

Well guys earlier this afternoon I requested a return label from Amazon, it will come in a day or so. I took the easy way out because I'm getting frustrated with my lack of knowledge. It's my first ebike build. I then ordered the 750w 48v Bafang rear hub kit. I don't think the PAS supplied will work because the euro bb adapter did not work out. Too loose. So I also ordered the 12 magnet disc type with the sensor that sticks ti the frame. I've seen videos of this working on ashtabula one piece cranks. Different diameter, same magnet count. I am worried that the rim might be too narrow. Info says it takes 1.5--2.25 tires, yet they give rim width as only 19mm. Maybe just the rim tape channel width?
It will be here Thursday. Maybe.

I live one block from the police department. Multiple cruisers go past my house during shift changes. Safe area... you bet. I have seen them talking to one ebike rider. So...
I hear ya....still hard to believe police have time or the intiative to check the size of an ebike motor......do they put their donut down to do that?

Hey guys, I received my 1000 watt rear 'AW' brand kit on Friday, now I find that my state, Michigan, limits us to 750 watts. I own this mistake and will return it unless there is a 'work around' for these laws. Any suggestions?
I wouldn't worry about unless you are doing really dumb things to standout I doubt the Police will ever contact you.

Well, unless enforcement is VERY different than for me on the other side of Lake Michigan, the work-around is to just be a responsible rider. Since you're concerned about the law, you're probably a responsible person. Just basic stuff, like don't blast around people on the bike paths going too fast. Try to behave BETTER than a cyclist on a regular bike.

When sharing the street with cars, you probably won't get any flak for going 30 mph.

On a bike path or multi-use path, you're best off keeping to 20 mph. (as a Class 1 eBike that is legal anywhere an mBike is legal can do that easily enough) A strong cyclist on a road bike can average 25 mph.

If you haven't assembled the bike yet or unboxed it, returning it may be an (expensive) option, but if you have they're going to make it hard.

Oh geez, I see now that you're going to return it. Too bad.
I'm a REGULATORY engineer and I still am not 100% in compliance on all my bikes.

I have seen here in California on bike trails class 1 or 2 . I have a Bafang 750 watt 48 v 20 ah battery. I ride the bike trails and have only seen bike patrol on the trails, never been stopped ...Yet :)Yeah

I have seen here id California on bike trails class 1 or 2 . I have a Bafang 750 watt 48 v 20 ah battery. I ride the bike trails and have only seen bike patrol on the trails, never been stopped ...Yet :)Yeah
'glad to hear they're actually starting to patrol the trails in CA! If you weren't obviously going > 20 mph, I guess you'd be good.

Out of curiosity, what are the cops riding when they patrol trails? Regular bikes, eBikes or motorcycles?

I have see them on regular bikes out patroling the trails with outfits that say ( Bike patrol )
I guess their plan on catching outlaw eBikers is to use the radio and have a buddy cut off the perp at the next intersection.
They really should have Class 3 eBikes at a minimum. (in my opinion) 125 cc motorcycles or scooters would be better.

On a local multiuse path near me the police sometimes patrol on gas powered quads. If I see them I always gave a little wave and smile, never been stopped or questioned. As others have stated here, ride responsibly and usually all is good.

Back