Kids and ebikes

Your diy method of educating is problematic. Here are some issues that come to mind immediately:
1). You are likely to get sued if someone that you taught gets hurt or killed. 2). You may not be expert enough to teach such a course. 3). You only reach a small number of people. 4). There is no standardized structure.
I love how you kids (or those old enough to know better) always assume the worst to make your points...while turning your assumptions in to facts at the same time so that your unsupported points may somehow hold water. The Soletri M366x thread is yet another example.
Fact#1; You will be glad to hear (we were not) that 'Mother government' (from which all things necessarily flow) paid our instructor along with the parents for out classes.
Fact #2; That our certified instructor was perhaps the most hardnosed taskmaster in the state at that time regarding ATV safety....which obviously would not fly today given snowflake children requiring therapy ponies and all manner of consoling if their presidential candidate does not prevail.
To think that people with no training, backing or authority should just start teaching something that they have only a fundamental knowledge of is absurd and probably downright dangerous.
The point is that training can be good or bad depending on how it is taught and what is taught. I think that the diy method that you are so enamored with is doomed to failure. Regulation and its enforcement along with proper education and training are proven methods, (conspiracy theories aside).
You are living in the Stone Age my friend.
We are broke. As in Trillion$ broke.
Kids are barely able to afford an ebike to get themselves to work let alone a car or some $500 'expertly taught only' class mandated by Mother Government.
We have zillions of non-profits with insurance policies claiming 'I just love bikes' (so don't make me pay taxes). Yank every single one of them until they teach kids to ride and/or take it in to the school and lay off every single art/music/sports/'humanities' teacher until enough money is raised to fund the classes.

We aren't teaching rocket science or 'hang gliding' here...and you know it.

I love how you kids (or those old enough to know better) always assume the worst to make your points...while turning your assumptions in to facts at the same time so that your unsupported points may somehow hold water. The Soletri M366x thread is yet another example.
Fact#1; You will be glad to hear (we were not) that 'Mother government' (from which all things necessarily flow) paid our instructor along with the parents for out classes.
Fact #2; That our certified instructor was perhaps the most hardnosed taskmaster in the state at that time regarding ATV safety....which obviously would not fly today given snowflake children requiring therapy ponies and all manner of consoling if their presidential candidate does not prevail.

Kids are barely able to afford an ebike to get themselves to work let alone a car or some $500 'expertly taught only' class mandated by Mother Government.
We have zillions of non-profits with insurance policies claiming 'I just love bikes' (so don't make me pay taxes). Yank every single one of them until they teach kids to ride and/or take it in to the school and lay off every single art/music/sports/'humanities' teacher until enough money is raised to fund the classes.

We aren't teaching rocket science or 'hang gliding' here...and you know it.
I am not sure why you keep bringing up age. I am 67. How old are you gramps????

When you complain about the government being broke you might want to consider the trillions in tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations along with their tax loopholes or the ridiculous and wasteful defense budget, (aka, corporate welfare), (before you go there, I am an Army Veteran, my youngest daughter Coast Guard, My father and both of my uncles, Army Air Corps, my late son in law, Air Force, my aunt, Army Nursing Corp, my great uncle, Army and one of my granddaughters is presently deployed to the southern border.

Maybe you have trouble understandings proportions, but education is a very small piece of the pie and at least in New Hampshire, the motorcycle safety course is $155.00, (not $500.00). Kids don’t “need” an ebike. An ebike is a luxury, not an entitlement.

You are right about one thing, we are not teaching rocket science. We are teaching something with life and death consequences.

What government agency is paying for instructors & parents for what classes?
Where does anyone sign up for that?
Who is this "certified instructor"?
What "certification" does this instructor hold?
What specific curriculum that "would not fly today" would an "certified instructor" include in his instructions?
How many "snowflake children" do you know?

Can you show sources of this claim? How are we broke? how many trillions broke?
Can you provide any evidence from any sources?

What specific "class" is mandated by the government that students have to pay for in public schools?

Can you name any of these "zillions of non-profits"?
What are the "insurance policies claims" do you refer? can you give any examples?
Care to back up any of your claims with evidence?
Seems to me a bunch BS from conservative talking heads who benefited from government tax breaks & COVID relief fund.

Your diy method of educating is problematic. Here are some issues that come to mind immediately:
1). You are likely to get sued if someone that you taught gets hurt or killed. 2). You may not be expert enough to teach such a course. 3). You only reach a small number of people. 4). There is no standardized structure.

Many states run motorcycle safety courses. They are reasonably priced and follow a very well thought out method and format, (at least that’s true in New Hampshire and Vermont). Most importantly, it works to promote safety and education.

To think that people with no training, backing or authority should just start teaching something that they have only a fundamental knowledge of is absurd and probably downright dangerous.

In the early years, Hang Gliding had to be self taught or taught by someone with some experience. Due to poor equipment and poor training, the fatality rate was ridiculously high. Eventually, the USHGA was formed with pilot rating systems, tests, training and standardization. More than 30 years ago, I was a USHGA Observer, (assigned by the regional director), and advanced instructor, (my side job). I also held an Advanced Pilot rating with all Special Skill sign offs. Observers could, among other things, test and award intermediate and advanced ratings as well as enforce USHGA rules and even pull a rating if at least two observers felt that a pilot’s behavior necessitated such an action, (the pilot could appeal the decision). To be a certified instructor, (basic), you had to first serve an apprenticeship as an assistant instructor under the supervision of an advanced instructor. You then had to be nominated to attend an ICP, (Instructor Certification Program). You had to demonstrate classroom, ground school and on the hill training, pass tests, attend class and prove that you were up to the task. Along with advancements in equipment and structured training came low fatality rates and growth in the sport.

The point is that training can be good or bad depending on how it is taught and what is taught. I think that the diy method that you are so enamored with is doomed to failure. Regulation and its enforcement along with proper education and training are proven methods, (conspiracy theories aside).
So true.....I taught hunter education and firearm safety for 20+ years.......can't tell you how many times I heard parents say....."Don't know why my kid needs this.....I can teach them to shoot....been huntin for all my life!" Then they swing the rifle muzzle in the direction of other students.

I am not sure why you keep bringing up age. I am 67. How old are you gramps????

Again, one has to actually read a post before one can intelligently comment upon it.

I sure have to correct and repeat pretty regularly, do I not? What happened to your apology for assuming that we (out of our own pockets and at great expense) did not train these kids properly to operate their atvs? Hmmmm?

(ETrike):
"...I love how you kids (or those old enough to know better) always assume the worst to make your points...while turning your assumptions in to facts at the same time so that your unsupported points may somehow hold water. The Soletri M366x thread is yet another example..".

Unfortunately, a lot of these 'woke' kids today and their grandchildren (especially) who don't even know to ride a bike(?)...were raised by old hippies even older than myself who (today) have about as much sense as they did when they were flower children. ;)

Again, one has to actually read a post before one can intelligently comment upon it.

I sure have to correct and repeat pretty regularly, do I not? What happened to your apology for assuming that we (out of our own pockets and at great expense) did not train these kids properly to operate their atvs? Hmmmm?

(ETrike):
"...I love how you kids (or those old enough to know better) always assume the worst to make your points...while turning your assumptions in to facts at the same time so that your unsupported points may somehow hold water. The Soletri M366x thread is yet another example..".

Unfortunately, a lot of these 'woke' kids today and their grandchildren (especially) who don't even know to ride a bike(?)...were raised by old hippies even older than myself who (today) have about as much sense as they did when they were flower children. ;)
What are you talking about, “woke kids”? Are you putting down children that are aware of factual history??? The reality of systemic racism???? Children that don’t want books banned???? Children that understand the truth about the environment???? I prefer to learn from history, not whitewash it just because the truth makes some people uncomfortable.

So I will ask you again, what work are you doing? What is your solution?, (actual, not some vague concept).

Why would a child need a bike with an assist?
In my opinion, most would be better off without the assist, and especially without a throttle. That said, I would still rather see a capable child outside and riding a class 1 ebike than hanging out in front of an electronic device.

Why would a child need a bike with an assist?

Growing up, I pedaled until I get tired, I take a drink, rest and get going again after rested.
Children are not taught to rest when they are tired, just move from one activity to the next.
School, soccer, swimming, baseball, piano, violin, golf, parkour, ballet, Chinese school, tutoring, etc..
Gone of the days of riding your bike to somewhere quiet jut stare at the sky & clouds to see what take shape in their heads.

We did a tour with 30 first graders at the museum yesterday.....we are a rural community......the kids...their teachers....a few parents all walked to the museum....about 6 blocks......it was a beautiful morning.....nice to see them outside. Tour was fun.....we all had a good time.....after the tour....kids played in the park next door before walking back to school. You don't see that in the bigger cities these days.......kinda reminded me of when I was a kid.

...School, soccer, swimming, baseball, piano, violin, golf, parkour, ballet, Chinese school, tutoring, etc....."
...who in blazes is sending their kid to "Chinese school" and why?

...who in blazes is sending their kid to "Chinese school" and why?
I’m guessing that it was an autocomplete mishap. What’s wrong with Chinese school???? Is that really what you got from the post????

Perhaps we should ask the Chinese (who apparently make the majority of ebikes) how they continually strive to keep Chinese kids safe on ebikes through what means?
My guess would be that there are more kids riding 'em there than anywhere on the planet.
Do the Chinese import this caretaking-based knowledge in to their "Chinese School" curriculums over here and/or what does a "Chinese School" experience consist of for America's youth?

Perhaps we should ask the Chinese (who apparently make the majority of ebikes) how they continually strive to keep Chinese kids safe on ebikes through what means?
My guess would be that there are more kids riding 'em there than anywhere on the planet.
Do the Chinese import this caretaking-based knowledge in to their "Chinese School" curriculums over here and/or what does a "Chinese School" experience consist of for America's youth?
Don't think they have it all under control either. Read up on other countries then post

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607_064823_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_064823_Google.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 44
Back