Hello from Ireland - Dublin area.

alistair1537

New member
Local time
9:51 AM
Joined
Apr 14, 2022
Messages
12
Hi Everyone - I posted a problem earlier and I got it resolved!! Win. I'd better say hello and give some more info on my E-bike.

It's a Dutch bike concept - the original frame is a Sparta. I have a mid-mount Bafang system and 20Ah battery - I went the route of the Dutch bike as I find them more comfortable to ride in my old age - 62!! I like the fully enclosed chain and brakes - it makes maintenance less frequent. Although the brakes are not really up to E-bike standard... I'd like to find a front suspension fork to fit with disc brake setup - that would be a whole lot safer. I commute around 40km each day rain wind or shine, although I did skive off a few days in the last big storm we had in Ireland. The bike has been a solid reliable machine - I've done around 4500km so far since Sept. last year. My wife had a factory built E-bike too, but she couldn't keep up with me, so we've sold that and I am retro-fitting her old tour bike with a Bafang kit as well. Hopefully, it won't be too much for her to cope with.

Back to my bike - I'll post a few pics - one of the other reasons I went for the Dutch bike is the built-in wheel lock - I hope to avoid any loss by having a dated style that may be less appealing to aspiring free-bikers. It has a 3 sp. Shimano hub gear - also low maintenance. I upped the size of the tyres too to help with the increased load of motor and battery. The bottom bracket was larger than spec for the Bafang unit so I had to make a "shim" tube to achieve a tight creak-free crank - I split a copper water pipe to wrap around the Bafang tube. Much filing and fitting, but it has been trouble free. The front spar is curved (Grrr) so I had to make a plan to mount the battery - I 3d printed a couple of stand-offs and mounted the battery on a slab of reinforcing aluminium plate - this had held it very securely - I used rivet nuts to secure through the frame tube. To protect and finish off the wiring I used a section of PVC waste pipe that is centre-fixed to hide the excess wires - again with a riv-nut through the frame tube. I still need to paint that...

And, because I live on a barge - a picture of my gangplank - I attached a u-channel to one side to help get the bike on and off the boat.

So, thanks for the help so far. I hope I can make some contributions too, in future.
 

Attachments

  • Bike 1.jpeg
    Bike 1.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Bike 2.jpeg
    Bike 2.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Bike 3.jpeg
    Bike 3.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Bike ramp gangplank.jpeg
    Bike ramp gangplank.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 145
Hope to see you posting some pics taken during your rides, Alistair. Stay safe.
 
First let me say welcome from E. Tennessee. I'm new here myself and to ebikes in general.
Nice build, I enjoy reading about people's builds. Every single one is different. I'm sure your going to enjoy it here. Cheers!
 
Back
Top