1000w scooter LITERALLY almost killed me, so I bought Keteles k800 2000w bike

functionalfool

Local time
10:20 AM
I paid $1100 for this scooter Circooter Raptor 14 months ago. It's designed to go off-road so i used it like it was meant to be used! The FRAME broke in half after jumping a curb at 25mph. I was wearing a helmet but still had a concussion, fractured 2 ribs, broke my elbow, damaged my wrist and knee, partially collapsed one of my lungs too!

Anyways, I'm pretty much healed and I upgraded to a 2000w Keteles k800.

So far I like it but it didn't come with instruction manual or anything and info online is scarce

I should have never bought a scooter to begin with but man are they fun to ride lol

Well, "off-road" can mean many things, as you've discovered. It can mean jumping off curbs or it could just mean a gravel path. Or even a paved path that's not a road.

I'm glad you were wearing a helmet. If you got a concussion WITH the helmet, you would have gone lights-out without it.

I think eBikes are inherently safer than scooters; it takes more to jam the wheel and send you over the handlebar.

Let me set the expectation for you on your new fat tire bike. They say "fat tire beach snow" in the advertising. On the beach, it will do compacted wet sand, like you would find near the water, but the deep dry sand will either cause you to sink in or maybe just consume 5X the power of running on pavement. Snow? Again, if it's somewhat firm, you will be OK, but with powder snow, it will sink right in and with compacted snow, it's like ice, and the rubber knobbies won't grip it. (you'd need to get studded tires)

Be careful out there man.

Welcome, from SE Wisconsin.

I really hope you are 100% healed. With that type of trauma to your joints, you are a walking candidate for post-traumatic and osteo athritis. PT can develop months after the incident, osteo can develop years later. I hope you start wearing other protective gear when you intend to ride that fast over obstacles. Take care of yourself.

Thanks for all the info! Trust me, I know the risks. I "knew" the risks of the scooter, but the frame breaking was not something I imagined ever happening!
IMG20240105012309.jpg

Well, "off-road" can mean many things, as you've discovered. It can mean jumping off curbs or it could just mean a gravel path. Or even a paved path that's not a road.

I'm glad you were wearing a helmet. If you got a concussion WITH the helmet, you would have gone lights-out without it.

I think eBikes are inherently safer than scooters; it takes more to jam the wheel and send you over the handlebar.

Let me set the expectation for you on your new fat tire bike. They say "fat tire beach snow" in the advertising. On the beach, it will do compacted wet sand, like you would find near the water, but the deep dry sand will either cause you to sink in or maybe just consume 5X the power of running on pavement. Snow? Again, if it's somewhat firm, you will be OK, but with powder snow, it will sink right in and with compacted snow, it's like ice, and the rubber knobbies won't grip it. (you'd need to get studded tires)

Be careful out there man.

Welcome, from SE Wisconsin.
Thank you for that! I honestly don't know what that tire can handle and I'm still healing so can't risk falling. Max tire pressure is only 20psi so I'm thinking it can handle some s**t!

You will like the Keteles. It is not "crazy fast" (although it will probably deliver all the speed you reasonably need), and it has really good off the line torque.
It is pretty fast! I got it up to 34mph and like you said it jumps off the line if you have both motors on and you pedal

I rode electric scooters for a few years, they are definitely fun. I had a 52V model that would easily do 35 MPH. I always wore full gear, elbow, knees, wrists and a full face motorcycle helmet. Going that fast on 8" tires ways always a little unnerving. Some scooter guys use inflatable moto-vests.

there is a guy in my town that rides one of those.
his has some big honkin tires and he really rips it through the parks lol

i never see him with a helmet or any gear at all for that matter :unsure:

I rode electric scooters for a few years, they are definitely fun. I had a 52V model that would easily do 35 MPH. I always wore full gear, elbow, knees, wrists and a full face motorcycle helmet. Going that fast on 8" tires ways always a little unnerving. Some scooter guys use inflatable moto-vests.
I think they are more dangerous than electric unicycles in some ways, partly because people who ride EUCs know they are dangerous and gear up to the max for safety where as scooters, people take far to casually. You see people zipping along wearing flip flops and shorts with not even a helmet on. Yeah they have two wheels but they are small, I see people riding one wheelers without any protective gear all the time as well.

I didn't know anything about helmets before but i know a lot now. My last helmet was rated for min of 200 G forces (means realistically 250+) motorcycle helmets like i have now are rated for 400+ G forces.

If i had a 400G motorcycle helmet on, would I have still gotten a concussion? Anyone know the answer to that?

I didn't know anything about helmets before but i know a lot now. My last helmet was rated for min of 200 G forces (means realistically 250+) motorcycle helmets like i have now are rated for 400+ G forces.

If i had a 400G motorcycle helmet on, would I have still gotten a concussion? Anyone know the answer to that?
Yes, you would probably have still been concussed. Helmets are mostly to protect your skull, hence your doctor's comment about best case being staples in your skull. A concussion happens when your brain sloshes against the inside of your skull too quickly, which would have happened even with a better helmet.

For a helmet to effectively protect against concussion, it would have to be enormous, with a very soft liner, to give plenty of room for your brain to slow down.

This is why you hear of football players being concussed all the time, but never cracking a skull. Tua Tagovailoa (Dolphins QB) was concussed twice from hitting his head on the relatively soft ground.

Your helmet was adequate for the speed you were going and obstacle you hit. It might've been slightly better with a motorcycle helmet, as they have a nice soft liner between the foam that absorbs a bit more energy.

I've thought about this (you can probably tell) and decided to buy a motorcycle helmet for when I ride my eMoped, as I'll routinely be going faster than 20 mph, up to 33 mph. Also, I won't be working up a sweat. Motorcycle helmets are not ventilated well enough to be comfortable doing ANY work on an eBike. They're even hot going 70 mph on a 90 ° day.

I only spent about $35 on that motorcycle helmet. It is a good quality used HJC from eBay. DOT/Snell certified. It is not as comfortable or well-ventilated as a newer, higher-end helmet, but for my short trips around town, it'll do. You can tell when an on-road motorcycle helmet has been in a crash by the scuffs and scratches. (I would know, as I've smashed two of them!)

What I DO plan to upgrade though is from a regular half bike helmet to one with a chin guard. I was in two motorcycle accidents where having a full face helmet saved me from jaw surgery. (at best)

Also check the local buy here pay here shops for helmets.
I bought one of mine from a place like that and it was only used once for less than an hour so just shop around.

Good Morning @Smaug :cool:

I've thought about this (you can probably tell) and decided to buy a motorcycle helmet for when I ride my eMoped, as I'll routinely be going faster than 20 mph, up to 33 mph.
Hola @Smaug, wouldn't be even better to avoid such speed with something like an eMoped? I usually feel very unstable even in my 29" tyres' ebike while going downhill at those speed.

Hola @Smaug, wouldn't be even better to avoid such speed with something like an eMoped? I usually feel very unstable even in my 29" tyres' ebike while going downhill at those speed.
Well, the HyperScrambler 2 doesn’t feel unstable at 33 mph, so I’d say no.

Wow, 2000w motor, eh? I wonder its planetary gears are nylon, metal, or metal coated nylon?

Well, the HyperScrambler 2 doesn’t feel unstable at 33 mph, so I’d say no.
right. I have seen the model online. Actually, I mixed up words.

At 14 (legal age in Italy) I had a Vespa... ok, I didn't: it was my older sisters' Vespa that I stol... "borrowed" :cool: from them pretty often. Without a scooter you were a nobody at that time. But it was incredibly unstable, specially while braking on the wet over the typical bumpy road, often covered with the classic "sampietrini" typical of my hometown, Rome. Obviously it was modified and could go much faster than the legal 40 kmh.

I really think I survived myself with that thing :) Many friends incurred in bad accidents...

A picture of the roman sampietrini:

1707730682796.png

you need some care driving on that kind of pavement on two wheels.

Back