Hailong battery recomendation?

andreistirbu72

Local time
3:13 PM
Hello dear members! This is my first post on the group.

I own an adult tricycle (brand Mooncool), on which I have installed a BBS01B BBS01 Bafang Mid Drive Motor 36V 250W. The tricycle has a frame to which fits a Hailong type of battery.

I regularly (every ten days) make an 100 km long trip to the nearest city (I live in countryside, in Romania), to buy fruits and other things and I return with a 25-35 kg load of bought goods. I have been made this trip for 4 years by now, using some batteries that got aged.

From experience, I know need a battery of a rated capacity of over 25Ah, in order to return from trip and having not consummed the entire capacity of the battery. And considering the fact that the batterry is decreasing in capacity with time, I need a guard of 5 Ah more, so in fact I need a battery of around 30 Ah.

I used to buy batteries from Aliexpress, but I have not a device to measure the battery's capacity and two recent batteries that I bought seemed to have less capacity than what sellers claimed.

I don 't have knowledge / understanding about cell types, discharge rate and other technical concepts. So I don't know how to chose the best battery (best price / quality ratio).

I also don't know if is better to buy a ready made battery, or to buy the cells, case and other components and ask a battery professional to built it for me. I asked such a professional and he told me would buy one for me for (equivalent of) 60$, if I provide him all the components and materials. But am not sure he knows how to arrange / connect the best way the cells and so on.

So my question is: do you recommend buying a battery from Aliexpress (or other online store), or buying the components and making a battery at that professional?

In both cases, what online sellers of battery / components do you recommend?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_093108.jpg
    IMG_20230715_093108.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 77
I am just sharing my experience.I bought a Unit Pack Power battery and it is excellent.I bought a CAOMM battery and it is not good.I bought another Unit Pack Power battery and it is excellent.Aliexpress often have sales.11/11 sale is coming up.I put the product in my shopping cart and wait for sale/coupon.

A picture of the underside of your battery will tell us whether you are looking for a 4-pin, 5-pin, or ball type connector.
In link is the product I bought. Is Hailong 1 type case, variant 36V, 20 Ah. Apparently, is a 5 pin connector. But they are sold together with the part attached to bike frame, so if I buy a new battery, or I make a battery with a separatedly bought case, I will replace that part as well. I don't need a battery with a particular type of connector. Just a battery with a case small enough to fit in my tricycle's inner triangle frame, which is quite small..

There are four case type (see attached image). Hailong 1, the smallest, and which I have, fits well to my tricycle frame. Hailong 2, which is just a little bigger, supposedly fits as well.
Hailong Max or Polly 7, are bigger. Polly 7 may be too bigger to my tricycle framer. Maybe Hailong Max ca fit, or is too big as well. But for having a capacity of 30 AH, the case must be bigger, Hailong Max or Polly 7, I suppose. And must weight at least 5 kg. The image is from Chamrider seller, from where I bought my actual battery.

I need to draw on a paper a triangle with my tricycle's frame inner triangle size (dimensions are 54 x 47 x 27 cm) and see if those cases fit in, or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20231029_071642.jpg
    IMG_20231029_071642.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 68
  • ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg (1).jpg
    ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg (1).jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 74
I am just sharing my experience.I bought a Unit Pack Power battery and it is excellent.I bought a CAOMM battery and it is not good.I bought another Unit Pack Power battery and it is excellent.Aliexpress often have sales.11/11 sale is coming up.I put the product in my shopping cart and wait for sale/coupon.
Thank you! This was the seller I was thinking to chose too (if not finding better recommendations on this group), after watching Micah Toll (EbikeSchool.com channel) videos on youtube.
Thank you for the point with the sales.

Unit Pack Power is NOT repeat NOT considered a quality vendor by anyone who has been around a while.

Micah Toll is a knowledgeable guy, but his "opinion" on a product is very much for sale to the highest bidder.

What I would consider in your case is TWO, 36V, 20AH batteries, stow one on outside of your basket, use one on the trip out, and the other on the trip back. Less stress on each battery, with a more widely offered capacity.

Something else to look into would be an N.E.S.E. kit, which is a battery construction kit which allows you to not only select your own cells, but easily replace them in the future while re-using connectors, BMS, case, etc. Developed in Lithuania.

Unit Pack Power is NOT repeat NOT considered a quality vendor by anyone who has been around a while.

Micah Toll is a knowledgeable guy, but his "opinion" on a product is very much for sale to the highest bidder.

What I would consider in your case is TWO, 36V, 20AH batteries, stow one on outside of your basket, use one on the trip out, and the other on the trip back. Less stress on each battery, with a more widely offered capacity.

Something else to look into would be an N.E.S.E. kit, which is a battery construction kit which allows you to not only select your own cells, but easily replace them in the future while re-using connectors, BMS, case, etc. Developed in Lithuania.
Thank you. Great idea, with two batteries! I will think about it. Maybe let the actual battery in its place and buy / build a custom battery and place it on basket and use it from that location, so the second battery will not need a case to stay on tricycle's frame.

As I have learnt, you don't want to completely discharge the battery (as it happens to me with current battery), as this is reducing its life.

I will check that N.E.S.E. kit.

You would not buy a unbranded kit from Alibaba.I am retired and have a limited amount of money.

I bought a UPP 48 volt 14.4 ah 13s3 LG 21700 cell battery.It was 110 degrees fahrenheit during this test.I used PAS level 3 of 5.It is uphill going & down hill coming back.25 miles per hour up hill 28 miles per hour down hill.I got 40 miles until BMS cut off.You miles will definitely be different.Just sharing information.I am new to ebike but I really like it

UPP is well knwn as a substandard pack maker.

I have followed the engineering and product standards of Agniusm, the creator of the N.E.S.E. kit, for several years. It is well made and designed, thoroughly tested, and available commercially for several years now. Not sold on Alibaba, SFAIK, and it is FAR better than other "no-solder, no-weld" kits such as the laughable Vruzend mess that was once endorsed, for money, by Micah Toll.

A battery which can be totally renewed by replacing just the cells, of the users own choosing, is something this market badly needs.

I have followed the engineering and product standards of Agniusm, the creator of the N.E.S.E. kit, for several years. It is well made and designed, thoroughly tested, and available commercially for several years now. Not sold on Alibaba, SFAIK, and it is FAR better than other "no-solder, no-weld" kits such as the laughable Vruzend mess that was once endorsed, for money, by Micah Toll.

A battery which can be totally renewed by replacing just the cells, of the users own choosing, is something this market badly needs.
dcided to use as second battery an older battery which I have and which has 16 Ah real capacity. I will see hopw is going with these two batteries and keep the NESE kit in mind as a future alternative

This x 100.

If you have been around long enough listening to people talk about their battery experiences, you will hear plenty of UPP customers sing their packs' praises and how much money they saved.

And you will also hear more than a few who had major problems with their packs' longevity, quality and even safety. You'll also hear about how their customer service experience went, and it often involves sending the pack at your expense back to them, only to have the manufacturer test it and say nothing is wrong. Another not uncommon story is they are very responsive via email up to a point, and then the customer gets ghosted.

If you want a quality Hailong pack (which is almost a contradiction in terms) go to EM3EV.

Back