Battery level.Knowing battery voltage & capacity

J

James340

I know a lot of people don't want to buy Chinese stuff.I have had 2 bike's that the display shows battery capacity is good then the BMS shut down the battery.I bought a "voltage/capacity"unit from AliExpress and you set it for the series of cells and it gives you the voltage &%of charge.

All that is, is a voltmeter and a set of guesses. "At "x" voltage battery has "y"capacity." Exact same thing your bike comes with.

They are guesses because, 1) the 50-60 cells in your bike are NOT identical; 2) The connections to those cells are NOT identical; and 3) the capacity decreases as the battery ages and/or is stressed and/or left too long fully charged and/or left too long mostly depleted. Also, these and other conditions multiply the individual variations between cells which can have the same voltage measurement but dramatically different storage capacities.

Plus, temperature variations, vibration or impact damage to spot welds, corrosion, faulty charger, faulty BMS, lots more.

BMS reads individual parallel groups, and will shut down if battery as a whole has good voltage, but one parallel group has gotten low past a danger point. This will happen for the above listed reasons and a simple read of the battery voltage as a whole will not AT ALL detect a potentially dangerous condition.

Oftentimes you can increase the Low Voltage Cutoff value on your controller. Its better for the controller to shut down than to let your BMS do it. If the pack's voltage sags below LVC, and the controller shuts you off, all you have to do is power cycle the display and you are back in business... just use low assist on the rest of the way (straight) home to try and get home under power. But if your BMS does the cutting off, the battery will stay off until it senses that its been connected to a charger. Which usually means you have to get home unpowered to fix the problem.

A cheap Chinese watt meter of any stripe on AliExpress is typically going to be off all by itself, in addition to your display being off. If you want a more accurate reading, buy a quality multimeter. No need to blow big money on, say, a Fluke. $35 will get you a decent Klein. $75 will get you one with True RMS for a slightly better answer. But really, once you check it one time and know how far the voltage is off, you never need to concern yourself with it again. Its not something you need to buy is what I'm getting at. A half-volt of error is typical and you can more than soak that up with an LVC change on your controller.

The fact that there are factors that can vary the battery voltage across dozens of cells and a half dozen cell groups in your pack is not something you can do anything about, and not really something you need to concern yourself with as an ordinary rider. The most likely thing to cause your pack to shut down on a routine basis is voltage sag. You hit the battery hard and the voltage sags low. Then you stop for a minute and you can see on your display the voltage level goes back up again. Sag it down far enough and it hits LVC. When you are nursing a low battery back home, you want to minimize sag by using less power, which may be uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as riding home with the power off.

Oftentimes you can increase the Low Voltage Cutoff value on your controller. Its better for the controller to shut down than to let your BMS do it. If the pack's voltage sags below LVC, and the controller shuts you off, all you have to do is power cycle the display and you are back in business... just use low assist on the rest of the way (straight) home to try and get home under power. But if your BMS does the cutting off, the battery will stay off until it senses that its been connected to a charger. Which usually means you have to get home unpowered to fix the problem.

A cheap Chinese watt meter of any stripe on AliExpress is typically going to be off all by itself, in addition to your display being off. If you want a more accurate reading, buy a quality multimeter. No need to blow big money on, say, a Fluke. $35 will get you a decent Klein. $75 will get you one with True RMS for a slightly better answer. But really, once you check it one time and know how far the voltage is off, you never need to concern yourself with it again. Its not something you need to buy is what I'm getting at. A half-volt of error is typical and you can more than soak that up with an LVC change on your controller.

The fact that there are factors that can vary the battery voltage across dozens of cells and a half dozen cell groups in your pack is not something you can do anything about, and not really something you need to concern yourself with as an ordinary rider. The most likely thing to cause your pack to shut down on a routine basis is voltage sag. You hit the battery hard and the voltage sags low. Then you stop for a minute and you can see on your display the voltage level goes back up again. Sag it down far enough and it hits LVC. When you are nursing a low battery back home, you want to minimize sag by using less power, which may be uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as riding home with the power off.
I just had the sag battle on the way home today. Rode 110km and the final 15km I had to really modulate the throttle to avoid cutout. Being 113kg I was dropping from 33 to a smidge over 30 when under a decent load, and that's only a 25a/12a controller. Basically couldn't use the throttle until I was at 10-15km or it would shut down.

I'm a bit confused by the difference in display when comparing the LCD and the actual BMS display. I can drop to 35v, end up with 2 bars on the LCD but the batteries display is still on full. I can run the battery down until the controller is flashing but not shutting down (roughly 31v) and the battery display from the BMS is still 2/4 bars.

I wonder what the BMS is set to cut out at if 31v is showing half charge, but the LCD unit and controller are a volt away from shutdown.

Back