ENVO Flex Urban Cargo Bike Review

bigdeaner14

Local time
3:31 AM
A quick review on this bike since I struggled to find any independent review before purchasing.

For the price it isn't bad, definitely the cheapest option I found for a cargo ebike that carries kids. It does the job.

I haul two kids with it using Polisport seats attached to the large rack - gets them to and from daycare, barely. I live in Nelson, BC - we have a ton of steep grades and the battery can sometimes struggle. I would definitely recommend going with a 48V bike if you have a bunch of hills.

I like that both a front and back rack, as well as foot pegs, were included as part of the purchase price. ENVO also seems to have a ton of dealers in Canada, so service options should be available if it comes to that. We were also heavily considering an Aventon Abound. Chose ENVO because it was quite a bit cheaper, but you always get what you pay for :).

Setup was simple enough, they have an online video on youtube.

My main issues with the bike are:

- Mechanical brakes are stock. For a bike that's supposed to carry kids, this is a truly headscratching choice from the design team. You absolutely have to spec hydraulic brakes on a cargo bike. Even the D35 has hydraulic brakes.
- Battery range is nowhere near what they advertise! I have never achieved more than 30km before running out of juice, and when you get to around 30% charge remaining the bike starts to struggle with power up hills.
- Fender stay was broken when shipped. Customer service was fairly responsive and sent a new part right away, props to that. They've been fairly responsive on the whole.
- Chain rubs against tire in 2 lowest gears. I have a strip all the way around the tire where you can see the rub. This was a setup issue from factory that I fixed.
- Fat tires. Not a huge fan of the 3" tires on the bike. I emailed and asked if I can decrease the tire size, they stated only a 3" tire would fit. That's unfortunate.
- External battery looks a bit silly compared to bikes with integrated.
- No child containment systed (ie. MonkeyBars). We have two seats for now but my 5 year old will be too big for them next year. This would be a huge seller for ENVO so not sure why they don't have a simple containment system. When I asked ENVO they said one might be in development.

Even with the mixed experience on this bike I am still considering other ENVO Bikes like the D50. It's just tough to find independent reviews of ENVO bikes to help when researching bikes. Hope this helps future customers.

Just for a reference:

fat-tire-electric-bike-flex-urban-side-view_700x.png

Update:

I tried to publish the above review on both the ENVO bikes website, as well as the EbikeBC website (which distributes ENVO) multiple times and they keep deleting the review.

Just a heads up, seems to be some shady behaviour.

When I scan all the other reviews there are nothing but positive, 5 star reviews.

Thanks for posting an honest review. One of the best places to find real reviews is from real people on forums.

A quick review on this bike since I struggled to find any independent review before purchasing.

For the price it isn't bad, definitely the cheapest option I found for a cargo ebike that carries kids. It does the job.

I haul two kids with it using Polisport seats attached to the large rack - gets them to and from daycare, barely. I live in Nelson, BC - we have a ton of steep grades and the battery can sometimes struggle. I would definitely recommend going with a 48V bike if you have a bunch of hills.

I like that both a front and back rack, as well as foot pegs, were included as part of the purchase price. ENVO also seems to have a ton of dealers in Canada, so service options should be available if it comes to that. We were also heavily considering an Aventon Abound. Chose ENVO because it was quite a bit cheaper, but you always get what you pay for :).

Setup was simple enough, they have an online video on youtube.

My main issues with the bike are:

- Mechanical brakes are stock. For a bike that's supposed to carry kids, this is a truly headscratching choice from the design team. You absolutely have to spec hydraulic brakes on a cargo bike. Even the D35 has hydraulic brakes.
- Battery range is nowhere near what they advertise! I have never achieved more than 30km before running out of juice, and when you get to around 30% charge remaining the bike starts to struggle with power up hills.
- Fender stay was broken when shipped. Customer service was fairly responsive and sent a new part right away, props to that. They've been fairly responsive on the whole.
- Chain rubs against tire in 2 lowest gears. I have a strip all the way around the tire where you can see the rub. This was a setup issue from factory that I fixed.
- Fat tires. Not a huge fan of the 3" tires on the bike. I emailed and asked if I can decrease the tire size, they stated only a 3" tire would fit. That's unfortunate.
- External battery looks a bit silly compared to bikes with integrated.
- No child containment systed (ie. MonkeyBars). We have two seats for now but my 5 year old will be too big for them next year. This would be a huge seller for ENVO so not sure why they don't have a simple containment system. When I asked ENVO they said one might be in development.

Even with the mixed experience on this bike I am still considering other ENVO Bikes like the D50. It's just tough to find independent reviews of ENVO bikes to help when researching bikes. Hope this helps future customers.
We just got an ENVO flex urban and are very excited to bring our kids (4&3) out on it. Would you mind sharing which child seat you got from polisport? Are there other options that might be compatible with this bike? TIA!

There have been dramatic changes in affordable - or luxury - or industrial cargo bikes over this poadt year.

1. Affordable quality non-eBikes Cargo's are the Mongoose Envoy and the Tern Short Haul D8 - both about $1100 ea this year

2. Quality affordable Cargo eBikes include the Aventon Abound - Rad Power RadWagon4 - Lectric XPedition = about $1600 ea

3. Better - Specialized Globe Haul LT N$3.5K , Tern GSD S10 - $5K

4. Luxury - Riese & Muller : Load 90 $12K

Back