Cargo bike kick stand/center stand?

DieselTech

Local time
1:26 PM
Guys & gals with cargo bikes, what do these bikes use for a kick stand? If your hauling a couple hundred pounds of cargo, what do the use to hold the bike up with all that cargo. I dont neccesarily have a cargo bike, but it's a 120+lbs for sure. I'm looking for some other options.

Thanks.

Which one is heavier, gas or electric heh heh :)
This bike is Heavy! It weighed 108lbs before I added anything to it. I would say this ebike is heavier than my gas bikes.
20231007_141653.jpg

Sidestand is designed to hold the bike upright, without cargo (& or rider).
Centerstand is designed to hold up the bike & cargo load.
Apply according to design.
For your particular bike, the suspension pivot is located at the ideal location for centerstand, you may be limited to sidestand application.

Sidestand is designed to hold the bike upright, without cargo (& or rider).
Centerstand is designed to hold up the bike & cargo load.
Apply according to design.
For your particular bike, the suspension pivot is located at the ideal location for centerstand, you may be limited to sidestand application.
Yeah I think if I want a heavy enough center stand to hold the bike & cargo, I'll will have to fabricate what I want. Im just afraid the way my kick stand is attached to the bottom wheel stay tube, it's going to bend it. Thanks.

The "higher" the weight of the Cargo - the dicier it gets - basic reason for front & rear Pannier Bags.

This is a righteous Center Kickstand - dependent on mount/frame with your eBike: CLICK HERE AMAZON DECENT CENTER STAND

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The "higher" the weight of the Cargo - the dicier it gets - basic reason for front & rear Pannier Bags.

This is a righteous Center Kickstand - dependent on mount/frame with your eBike: CLICK HERE AMAZON DECENT CENTER STAND
Yeah i use 1 very similar to that on my motorbike. I may need to look into pannier racks & bags for the front & rear of my new bike. Thanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Mid-Drives work particularily well for properly designed Cargo Bikes - that are designed to keep the Load Weigth low.

Tern HSD and Riese Muller Multitinkerr will give you the design direction for Pro Cargo/Expedition

I literally learned how essential a center stand is shortly after I took this picture, which was my first Costco run with my longtail Big Fat Dummy.

img_20200801_112028_cropped-1[1].jpg

I had upgraded the kickstand to the very beefy one PDW makes. I forget the name of it but if you google Portland Design Works you'll see it. Its a great stand but not good enough for a heavy cargo bike. I had no idea those 4 paks of soda totalled about 125 lbs of weight (after I survived the ride home I weighed a can and did some math).

For the Surly BFD and a number of other bikes, a company makes a stand known as a Rolling Jackass. Its the cat's meow as these things go, but it is colossally expensive. I modified my wideloaders - which use chrome steel marine railing elbow fittings - to T fittings to integrate a stand into the bike, using leftover tubing from the stand project. Additional cost was almost zero thanks to the leftovers situation. Here's what it looked like:

img_20200725_134854-e1611268231657[1].jpg

And it worked splendidly. Unfortunately you had to lift the front of the bike up and over onto it. Thats a task that got easier with practice, but its nowhere near as easy as a kickstand product made to raise and lower normally. After a few months, I bit the bullet and bought a Rolling Jackass and, like many other owners who use the thing across many different cargo bike models, I never regretted its convenience. Only its price.

I wrote up the kickstand build story, details and parts here in case anyone wants to try and do something similar. I still use the thing for a first-class work stand. The description of the wideloaders which this thing builds off of is described in a separate linked installment.

For my Mongoose Envoy mid-tail, a bike that has a different frame structure with a central, more conventional single-screw mount, an Ursus Jumbo double leg kickstand is a common aftermarket buy. I didn't discover it but I was put onto it by the cargo bike community. You also see them as original equipment on a lot of manufactured cargo bikes. Amazingly, in 2023 they are only about 2/3 of the price I paid for mine in 2019.

PXL_20220129_151406854.jpg

The biggest deal about the Jumbo versus most center stands is its super-wide stance (the Envoy comes with a center stand, but its narrow footprint makes it very unstable). When I put on much bigger tires, I figured out how to extend the stand's length by about an inch. Its still in use today like this so its a permanent solution if its needed:

Something else that works for all center stands: You can use little furniture dolly thingies to make rolling the bike around a breeze. They let me get my bike into my at-work garage thru a twisty entrance that is a nightmare to get into without them. I have a pair in my garage at home as well.

PXL_20201021_230351733.jpg

If you can or must do a side stand, the king of the capacity wars is the Pletscher / Esge ebike rated stands. The Comp 18 Flex, the Comp 40 Flex or the Multi Flex. They have ratings of 50 kg which is an awful lot for a single kickstand. I use the Multi Flex on at least three different bikes that were my cargo bikes before I took the plunge and started building real ones.

IMG_20181008_113010.jpg

I have a few friends who use MassLoad/Taiwan "side folding center stand" with a real slick solid MassLoad mounting plate from Duluth Cycle

Himiway Big Dog comes with a center stand. That's one of the reasons I'm considering buying one over the Himiway Escape Pro.

Back