Controller or motor malfunctioning on Sondors ebike?

The Panda

Local time
9:01 AM
I own a 2014 Sondors ebike. Custom 36-volt battery. BaFang 350 watt hub motor. After market controller (KT36 36V/48V 20A). When I bought a new 36 volt battery last year. It worked for about a month before I noticed a loud scratchy squawking sound, during takeoffs. I checked, and the controller was hot. Sounded like the sound was coming from the controller. The bike also got jerky on the takeoffs

Bought a 25A controller from Electrobike world. Didn't work. They told me i needed their display to complete the circuit, so I bought that. I hooked everything up and took a ride. Everything worked for about 10 minutes before I heard the same sound. As before, it sounds like it’s coming from the controller (rather than from the motor). Electrobike world's controller has not gotten hot yet, but it was between warm and hot, I'm fairly sure it will get hotI, if I keep using it.

I mailed Electrobike world the above info. Here's what i got: "The controller is all digital inside and has no moving parts. You might be over stressing yourself electrical system which is making the controller overheat. We recommend you tune down the power output via the display by going into the setting mode and change the C5 to 6. Are you sure the noise is not coming from the motor? The controller has no moving parts so we do not know how it can make any noise. If you hear a metal scratching noise from takeoff and it gradually goes away, that is the sign your motor magnets are loose inside and need to be replaced soon."

Is Electrobike world giving me the straight scoop? My bike is eight years old, but has not been used very much during that time. However, it was used vigorously during the last approximately 50 miles during which I rode it (i.e. riding in sand, while riding uphill, with a new 36V/22A battery, etc...). Would it be typical for a Bafang 350 watt motor, or the magnets inside it, to come loose or wear out under these circumstances? If so, what’s my best course of action? Should I try to replace the magnets in the motor, or spend big bucks on a new hub motor?

Any ideas? Please advise. Thank you!

I have the same bike. Your problem is probably loose magnets. It's easy to fix once you get the magnet shell off. I used gorilla glue for the repair. All of them will be loose. Before you remove the magnets use a marks a lot to number each magnet so you can glue them back in the same order, and orientation they came out.
Loose 750 magnet.jpg

Hah I forgot @biknut was on this forum when I posted up on your other thread on this. He knows this subject well.

I saw a step by step with pics for this job on the Sondors Facebook group. But I never had the problem so I never did anything to save the article.

You are running over double the wattage your motor was designed to handle, and doing it for extended periods of time.

It will not live long.

Back