Controller and power problem

lucasdebiagi

Local time
4:06 PM
Hello! I've just bought my first eBike kit (https://www.bicimoto.com.br/kit-bicicleta-eletrica-500w-48v-bateria-litio).

But I started to have some questions regarding the power... in the website, it says that it's a 500w 48V motor, but I won't get more than 300w in the display information.

So after trying all the possible settings, I tried to open the controller and saw an information saying it's a 250w controller... is that correct? I could not find more information about this controller, but is it possible that is the controller that is limiting the power?

It uses a 48V 10Ah Hailong battery, a lishui controller (I believe, I coudn't find more info), SW900 display and a 500W gearless motor that I could not find information as well.

Thanks!

20230725_131325.jpg
20230726_233803.jpg

20230726_221418.jpg
20230726_221425.jpg

20230724_151320.jpg
Captura de tela 2023-07-27 075639.png

The display has a menu option for the amps.I set mine to 30.I believe factory settings are 26.That is really low wattage though.Full throttle I can hit 1200+

The display has a menu option for the amps.I set mine to 30.I believe factory settings are 26.That is really low wattage though.Full throttle I can hit 1200+
Yes, I think the problem is with the controller.
I am trying to contact the seller to solve this issue, because the kit that I bought came with a 500W motor and a 250W controller....

Look up the Shunt Mod.

Easy, simple, lo-cost, minimal risk.

However - a 250W controller will put out well over that for brief periods. The "500W" rating of your motor simply indicates it will absorb that amount of power for brief periods, without melting.

Different companies define "brief periods", in what are often dramatically different ways.

Your motor and controller were made by different companies.

About the shunt mod, I've seen it before, is it reaaly a minimal risk thing?
Maybe I can try that if I dont get a replacement.

But anyway, my concern is that the controller says "250w", and in the seller's website, it says "9 mosfets", but when I opened the controller, you can see that there are only 6 of them. That's why I am worried.

After searching in the internet, I could find 250w controllers with 36V, but not with 48V.... but I'm not sure if my controller uses a 36V or 48V power input. If I'm using a 48V battery in a 36V controller, couldn't that be bad?

1690822135149.png

(About the controller code MAC48-18-1S, I could not find any info in the internet)

Most controllers can be overvolted. It does state a 48V display, which IS a real thing, they also state a "48V MOTOR", which is most definitely NOT a thing. Motors do not have a voltage rating, just watts.

The description of a "9 mosfet controller", should have been in your original post. That is an actual mis-representation, and real grounds for a payment dispute. More mosfets mean more amps, which when the voltage stays the same, means more watts.

The shunt mod can be overdone, it is a judgement call. Tricks the controller into allowing more amps because it incorrectly reads the output level. Using a small amount of solder should be fairly safe. They will likely send you a new controller and let you keep the old one, so you will have a free spare to experiment with.

Most controllers can be overvolted. It does state a 48V display, which IS a real thing, they also state a "48V MOTOR", which is most definitely NOT a thing. Motors do not have a voltage rating, just watts.

The description of a "9 mosfet controller", should have been in your original post. That is an actual mis-representation, and real grounds for a payment dispute. More mosfets mean more amps, which when the voltage stays the same, means more watts.

The shunt mod can be overdone, it is a judgement call. Tricks the controller into allowing more amps because it incorrectly reads the output level. Using a small amount of solder should be fairly safe. They will likely send you a new controller and let you keep the old one, so you will have a free spare to experiment with.
That makes sense. Thanks fot the information! I'm waiting a reply from the store.

But in theory, it's not a problem to use a 36V (I think) 250w controller with a 48V battery and a 500w motor, correct?
At least so I can use the bicycle while this is being solved with the store.

If your current controller was not capable of handling 48V, it would have already popped. The model number contains a clue, not proof, but a clue.

In your picture of the controller, there are several round, silver components with printing on them. Some of these should be capacitors, and the writing will give a max voltage number they can handle. Hi-qualiy caps can usually exceed this number by a bit, lo-quality, inexpensive caps mean the number is an absolute Do Not Exceed limit. The caps set the voltage limit. Go over it, and they let out the magic smoke and do not work anymore.

The Fets handle the amps, and more indirectly handle the amperage limit. They come in different types, and their "limits" are pretty much a matter of how much current, and heat, they will survive. The "limits" are more of a guess and much more duration-sensitive.

Hi everyone! I just tried to programm my bafang new bbso2 and first of all saved the original settings. Then, in the basic setting doesn’t let me rewrite the current Limit over 18. The original setting was 30. I don’t know if this is gonna affect the function of the motor/battery. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!
The motor is 48V
Battery 20 A

Hi everyone! I just tried to programm my bafang new bbso2 and first of all saved the original settings. Then, in the basic setting doesn’t let me rewrite the current Limit over 18. The original setting was 30. I don’t know if this is gonna affect the function of the motor/battery. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!
The motor is 48V
Battery 20 A
I have a 1000W bafang and it is limited to 28 amps by the factory. It can go up to 30 amps, but i would have to get some sort of special code from the people i purchased it from to get it to be released. They put that limit on there to protect the motor from blowing the controller from accidental overload. I would suspect the BBS02 has a similar restriction. Maybe your motor's top amperage is 20A and they limit it to 18A at the factory? There are a lot of bafang programming videos out there on youtube. You should be able to find the answers you're looking for there

You would be better served to start a new discussion which is related to the issue you're looking to solve. The OP on this thread has an issue they are looking for help with which is different from yours.

Hello fellow Brazilian, I recently bought the same kit from Bicimoto. I've noticed the website says now 6 mosfet instead of 9 mosfet as you claim. Can you give us a follow up to your complaint with Bicimoto? I knew for the price they were saving somewhere.. the controller tucked inside the battery "tray" was a dead give away it was not a bigger dedicated expensive one.

Back