controller with selectable power modes

gutnj

Local time
11:49 AM
Hello. I am building a commuter ebike that will be offroad capable. I am trying to source a 48v to 72 v controller that will allow me to change power profiles on the go. In Nj we are limited to 48v and 750w with a top speed of 20mph. I want to be able to swap from a legal profile to a more powerful profile for offroad use. It needs to be a physical button or switch. I need to be able to change it if i get pulled over. COPS in my town are bothering riders even off road.. my budget is pretty tight.

There is no simple or efficient way to do what you are describing by changing the voltage, however in some displays you can set up a speed limit as an option. Depends on your local laws whether a programming option is acceptable as a hard limitation, existing case law says if it can be done on the fly, then it is illegal ALL the time.

Generally, cops don't bother you unless you are doing something stupid.

48v to 72 v controller
Grin's controllers are the gold standard in my book.

A switch is still not gonna shield you. If the cop happens to be a guy who hangs out here and knows whats what, they can push your switch and charge you accordingly.

Generally, cops don't bother you unless you are doing something stupid.
Totally agree. If you are not flying through intersections and racing on the sidewalk, you should be ok.

Its an open secret that even the "legal" eBikes will go over 750W. I volunteer with my local bike co-op and we run after school "bike club" for the elementary kids with our local police. I'll bet the cops here are unaware that their eBikes exceed this limit.

Bottom line, don't be "that guy" on the roads.

To clarify on the above, there are controllers that will allow both 48V and also a range up to 72V, but they do not magically change the voltage output from your battery. This is wasteful anyway you do it, but you CAN rig up a button-selectable step-up transformer and run a higher voltage thru a compatible controller, sort of like a "Turbo-mode", but this is much less efficient than just making a 72V battery and using a speed limiter.

Again, the case law is if you can perform the change while in motion and on the road, it is illegal ALL the time. Similar law on ebikes is not yet settled, but that is the vehicular precedent.

Repeat, just don't be stupid. I realize this is very hard for some folks.

Frankly - if I understand correctly - your question is probably a "Marking or Sticker Issue" - over 18 - helmet wearing - auto/truck drivers license - insurance ? - with that I thought you could ride Class III in NJ - right ?

Frankly - what others have done - is to change stickers - go Class II - eliminate battery sticker )replace with decorative - plate over motor markings !

Showing a class 2 sticker on an oem class 3 ebike is a crime. Cops in the nj/ny area bust people all the time. All they need to do is clock you over 20mph with a class 2 sticker. My build is 48v diy so being able to limit my tip speed is key. It all depends on the area and how you ride. A lot of nice towns are pretty strict on ebikes. Way to many kids flying around like lawless animals.

I found a Fardriver controller that will let me do what I need.

You can operate class 3 ebikes in nj but they require license registration and insurance like any automobile.

1. If NJ/NY police clock you for speed - that's that - for Speed...

2. Anyone can sticker their eBike anyway they want - like a guy who puts V8 emblem on a V6 automobile - or changes a S500 Mercedes emblem to S550,

Kind of funny this discussion has tgaken a turn into Soprano-Land - on what constitues a "crime" - maybe as criminal as going 75mph in a 65mph zone.

Back