Best Brand Of Fat Tires?

MilanMaldiniFan

Local time
11:51 PM
I'm new to the e bike world. I currently have a fat tire e bike. I was wondering what is the top brand for fat tire e bikes? The tires that came with my bike work great, just thinking once I wear these things out should I try and deck out my bike even more than it is. I ride on mostly city terrain, but a lot of hills. I live in San Francisco so the weather is usually dry.

m@Robertson

Local time
No such thing as a top brand. There are good tires from reputable brands. Like the Maxxis Minion fatties, but those are not for any kind of city use. There are the various Vee fat tires, and they are good, but they wear fast. The Speedster is a good smooth street roller albeit a bit small. Surly Edna is a fast rolling knobbies made for them by Innova that are really tough and good for mixed pavement and gravel use. Same goes for the Chaoyang Big Daddy and its many clones. But quality is not consistent. The Origin8 Supercell is an excellent street tire so long as you buy the 30 tpi version and keep it pumped up to max psi, or it self-steers. Arisun Big Smoothy is a good street tire. Arisun is the Chaoyang North American brand label. And BTW The Origin8 tire is also made by Chaoyang for Origin8. Go look at the Chaoyang Sandstorm. Same tire different label.

Then there's the Duro tires... And Schwalbes but they are dirt only.

See where I'm going here? There is no best. Only alternatives each with plusses and minuses, and many of them are actually made by the same factory.

MilanMaldiniFan

Local time
No such thing as a top brand. There are good tires from reputable brands. Like the Maxxis Minion fatties, but those are not for any kind of city use. There are the various Vee fat tires, and they are good, but they wear fast. The Speedster is a good smooth street roller albeit a bit small. Surly Edna is a fast rolling knobbies made for them by Innova that are really tough and good for mixed pavement and gravel use. Same goes for the Chaoyang Big Daddy and its many clones. But quality is not consistent. The Origin8 Supercell is an excellent street tire so long as you buy the 30 tpi version and keep it pumped up to max psi, or it self-steers. Arisun Big Smoothy is a good street tire. Arisun is the Chaoyang North American brand label. And BTW The Origin8 tire is also made by Chaoyang for Origin8. Go look at the Chaoyang Sandstorm. Same tire different label.

Then there's the Duro tires... And Schwalbes but they are dirt only.

See where I'm going here? There is no best. Only alternatives each with plusses and minuses, and many of them are actually made by the same factory.
Makes sense, thank you. That's helpful.

hsdrggr

Local time
2:51 AM
I'm new to the e bike world. I currently have a fat tire e bike. I was wondering what is the top brand for fat tire e bikes? The tires that came with my bike work great, just thinking once I wear these things out should I try and deck out my bike even more than it is. I ride on mostly city terrain, but a lot of hills. I live in San Francisco so the weather is usually dry.
I’m looking at going to the CST Big Boat 26x4 tires on my fat tire bike for the same application. Plus I’ll do some hard pack beach riding. Been looking for a while and that’s what I’m gonna try first. Aliexpress only sells them with tan sidewalls. But CST USA sells them with black sidewalls. 60TPI, 30PSI, 1300g. Per CST: “The CST Big Boat Tire features a built-in puncture resistant Aramid layer to hold up to the demands of e-bikes. The tire has a smoother tread designed to be fast rolling on pavement.”
1686357369956.png
7FAD28C8-01C2-4698-A7A3-597CC91BB0CA.png

m@Robertson

Local time
Something I didn't mention in the post above: If I had to buy tires for a street bike and I was looking for a smooth-ish but tough street tread, I'd do the 30 tpi Supercells. I still have one on the back of my fat commuter. You can lean hard into corners at speed and they stick. Dead silent. I have used them in the rain and still have all my teeth. But of course I'm careful when I do that.

Also... Something I have decided to avoid is 4.0" tires on 80mm fat rims. Fat tires in the 4.5"+ range look like fat bike tires. 4.0" tires make the bike look like a pretend-motorcycle. I've got 4.0's on right now and I've noticed a distinct difference in perception. Plus if you have a fat bike... embrace the horror and go fat. Take advantage of the ability. Nimbleness on city streets is not needed like it is on a trail bike. 4.8" tires at 15 psi can soak up some nasty potholes at speed and are still plenty firm.