Battery carry device

Georgia Shelby

Local time
8:04 PM
Hello to all,
The wife just bought the Aerial X class regular frame and I had a question regarding the battery. We have been bringing the rather heavy battery in the house to charge it and was wondering if anyone has devised a carry strap. With it having a smooth case and old rough hands that don't grip as well as they used to, I'm afraid of dropping it on concrete. I see that there is no room between the battery and the cradle so would probably not be able to wrap something around it.
Thanks in advance,
Carl

How about a canvas firewood tote?

log-roll-main-1180x1480_1180x.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. What I am actually looking for is some sort of handle to attach directly to the battery. Being that the battery is a smooth case and quite heavy when you are taking it off the bike, I am concerned that my 70 year old hands are going to drop it. Since it fits very tight in the battery cradle, it doesn't appear that you can wrap anything around it such as a cinch type strap. Maybe a suction cup grab handle?! I will do some experimenting.

Sorry for the late reply. What I am actually looking for is some sort of handle to attach directly to the battery. Being that the battery is a smooth case and quite heavy when you are taking it off the bike, I am concerned that my 70 year old hands are going to drop it. Since it fits very tight in the battery cradle, it doesn't appear that you can wrap anything around it such as a cinch type strap. Maybe a suction cup grab handle?! I will do some experimenting.
I think that's The Wrong Approach, as there would always be a chance of it slipping out of whatever straps you have.

My recommendation is a small tool bag from the home improvement store.

However, as a side note, if it's in the garage and the inside of the garage stays above freezing (they usually do) then you don't need to even take it off the bike. Just bring the charger over to where the bike is charged (with extension cord, if necessary) and charge it right on the bike. There's no chance of dropping it if it stays latched to the bike, right?

Good luck!

What @Smaug said. So long as the bike is sitting in a room well above freezing, its safe to charge there. Also taking the battery in and out of its cradle introduces wear and tear on the mechanical connections. It creates an additional way for the battery to wear out. So long as the bike has an 'off' switch (the battery does not need one; usually this means you just turn the display off) its perfectly safe to charge the battery while its on the bike.

Myself, for dead of winter I put a heater in my garage. In the summer when heat here can take a garage well past 120 degrees fahrenheit, I roll the bike into the house. If thats not practical, that is the time to move a battery inside, as overheating a battery pack carries a genuine risk of combustion.

Back