how to carry a spare battery?

I think it could be strengthened. If you could get or make a second set of struts like the ones it has and support the rack better.

The thing I don't like about it that it increases you un-sprung weight on your rear suspension. Your suspension goes up and down with every bump and dip so that you don't. Putting an extra 10 or 20 pounds will really over work your rear shock and it will shake the hell out of the rack.

Your bike has a range of acceptable weight of rider and gear but putting a bunch of weight on the rear suspension is another thing entirely.

I really think your best options are a either a really good back pack that is as long as you torso and with a waist belt and then secure the battery low in the pack so it doesn't shift around on you. The other would be to have someone fabricate a couple of brackets that mount to your top tube or down tube that you can strap the battery to.

Thanks for the info, but I think that along with Antarctica and some remote villages in the Amazon [sic] Basin, the Canary Islands are among the few places where Amazon does not deliver most items.

Anyway, good news! I found out that the local shop where I bought my ebike can actually have it... and at a much lower cost than other online shops: 99 € including the two frames! :giggle:

Ordering was not that easy, but in the end it worked. I should receive it in the local shop in a few days. I will let you know my impression with it, as I am also doubtful about the reliability of the item. My plan is to eventually improve the design with something I made.
Yeah I just put that amazon link so you could see the pics and reviews.

Do you have any friends or family that could purchase it for you and ship it to you?

Something like this pack.

It's long enough to have a waist belt and chest strap, it's well padded and fits your back so it's comfortable.

I can carry 10-15 pounds in this pack while riding and barely notice it's there after a while.

Of course it would also probably be as hard for you to find something like this as the Thule rack is.

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 57
I think it could be strengthened. If you could get or make a second set of struts like the ones it has and support the rack better.

The thing I don't like about it that it increases you un-sprung weight on your rear suspension. Your suspension goes up and down with every bump and dip so that you don't. Putting an extra 10 or 20 pounds will really over work your rear shock and it will shake the hell out of the rack.

Your bike has a range of acceptable weight of rider and gear but putting a bunch of weight on the rear suspension is another thing entirely.

I really think your best options are a either a really good back pack that is as long as you torso and with a waist belt and then secure the battery low in the pack so it doesn't shift around on you. The other would be to have someone fabricate a couple of brackets that mount to your top tube or down tube that you can strap the battery to.
Thanks for your comments, @munirider, but actually this rack can be mounted on the rear and/or front suspension. Also, because the rack is mounted about halfway from the joint when mounted on the rear suspension, the vibration level is better than with any rigid-suspension rack. It's counterintuitive, and it took me a while to figure it out, but it's true.

Unfortunately, the battery doesn't fit in the frame triangle.

I will consider the idea of just putting it in a (good) backpack, although this will not solve the problem for longer trips where I need to carry a lot more stuff.

The real issue is that actually this item is on the catalogue of many online vendors, but once I order they "discover" it is not available. The local supplier told me "we may have it in a couple of months". I told them to let me know and I will eventually order it once is available. Probably Thule needs to manufacture a new stock, that takes time. Maybe I will be faster and produce one by myself with (good) nuts and bolts.

pretty large: 625 Wh, 4.4 kg, 415 x 84 x 65 mm. I usually put my spares and tools below the seat post
How about a small rack up front? Mount a length of PVC tubing to it lined with high density foam. Glue one end cap on and have a screw off cap on the other.

On a side note, it would be great if you could install the batteries such that when you were low on one, you could switch to the other.

Sorry, but I did not fully understand your suggestion, @I81ICU812 . Where should I attach the PVC tubing? To the frame?

Regarding putting them online all time, I would like to, actually, but it would need to intercept the contact inside the frame, that may not be that easy and safe... I am thinking about that. Maybe using the same connection used by the Trek range extender, if I understand how it works.

I Would Try To Fit The Battery Into The "Bottle Cage" Mounting Area
Then Design Something To Use The 2 Screws To Mount It
Good Luck
Screenshot_20230906-083112_Chrome.jpg

Back