Yamaha 11Ah 400Wh Battery Sitting for 2-3 Years

TitanFlyer

Local time
1:52 AM
Hi, brand new to the forum. I have an almost new (use wise) Haibike SDuro Cross 4.0 that has the 11Ah 400Wh battery on it. When I got it I rode it a few times and was loving it, but I injured my back and had to have surgery, so it sat in the garage without really any thought till now. My surgeon has told me I can ride a bike again so I pulled the cover off it and am taking a look. My biggest concern is obviously the battery and its condition and ability to be used and its safety.

I stored it at 60 percent and it’s still at 60 percent. The bike had been used for about 65 miles of riding before it went away, so it wasn’t in new hibernate state. My question is, what is the procedure to bring it back up to full charge, if any. I was going to just plug it in and let it charge up to 100 percent and then take it for a ride. The big reason I am asking is that it looks like a new replacement is between 800-1200 dollars, and thats about what I paid for the bike on sale when I bought it. I want to do what I can to give it a fighting chance, so looking for any hints on what I might be missing for charging in this scenario.

Thanks and looking forward to getting on an e-bike and getting some damn exercise after 3 years of recovery and weight gain.

J

I would charge to 80%, then ride, observe, then give it a full charge.

Look for a replacement battery, should be much cheaper than factory, though the spec you are giving is not right. 11ah, ok, but there are no watt-hours and 400 seems way low.

IMG_2417.jpeg

Shoulda thought of 36V, that makes more sense. Batteries DO have watt-hours, I was focused on motors.

Just bought a 36V, 16AH battery for $225, with TWO chargers. Generic, red and black wires only, no mount.

I am amazed it sat for over two years with no reduction in charge voltage. That is damn near impossible. You may want to store it outdoors for the first several charge cycles.

Ya, sort of surprises me, but I haven’t tried riding it so it could just collapse on first use. The storing outside is great advice. Thanks.

Best wishes on your continued recovery ! I had some "Yamaha" eBike experience in Europe. #1 The PASB4 battery series is a very/very well engineered eBike battery that uses Japanese Cells - and Yamaha engineered BMS. A "step-up" from China designed batteries/BMS #2 with that battery - frankly you can go out and ride today - recommend actually - and run it down to 20%/no-less-than 15%. #3. The Charge Connector a on your Charger - and Charge Port on your Battery - are those the "matching 4-pin/tab type I used in Euro model. Like I say you have a very solid battery and tech with your bike - RESPECT !

The connector for the charger is round and snaps in with a locking ring automatically. I didn’t have a chance to go out and ride today but it is charged to 80 percent or so, and I can only hope it stays healthy. The bike itself is a Haibike, which I think is very similar or made for Yamaha with its line of bikes. Hydraulic brakes, frame routed cables, etc etc. Mid grade mostly, but for what I paid for it, and if this battery will work, its going to be a great experience.

A Yamaha dealer could probably test the battery. I would start there or Yamaha technical support.

IF YOU CAN - PLEASE CHARGE TO FULL 100% BEFORE YOUR 1ST RIDE - preferable Overnight - o prevent Battery Memory Effect afterlong term inactivity. Battery Memory means the 80% Voltage/Current you have now - the Battery "will think" and reset its thinking to where that 80% inow - will be seen as 100% going forward (which it is not).

If you already had your 1st ride - and the Battery is now 70%/60% - DO NOT RECHARGE UNTIL YOU GO DOWN TO 20% (or a bit under THEN do a full overnight or full day charge from 15/20 to 100% which "resets" and balances your battery.

All to ther good !

There is no memory effect in Li-ion batteries. This is a false statement.

There is no reset. The "balancing" which does happen is done by the BMS, and state of charge at the beginning of the cycle does not matter, balancing happens as the BMS bleeds off full parallel groups while allowing lower groups to continue to charge. A small number of BMS can be set to start this process at an 80-90% state of charge (SOC), but these are rarely if ever found on commercial bikes.

I have seen Memory Efffect "Common" on Li-On battery packs - I believe as a result of the absolutely DUM{B chargers this space uses.

Using that same DUMB charger tech - yes - - "reset" cycle (my term) can be leveraged in eBikl/eScooter Language - "Go-Low-20%-Or-Below" - followed by Full 100% Charge.

The fact the chargers are DUMB - and don't allow charging prile choice (80% or 100%) and are not selectable for different current ramp s- is incredibly costly to the Community - when $500-$800_$12oo cell packs have accelerated current dimenishment - and acclerated degradation of usefull life. The $359 Grin Satiator is the only Even-Semi-Intelligent-Charger i have found.

Clearly you have failed to do your research.

There is no memory effect.

Selectable chargers have been around for a long time, 5 years or more. Several other than the Satiator, one was recently discussed on this site.

Never below 20% has been the rule for over a decade.

I don't have any relevant information other than I was gifted a 2013 ebike and the battery sat for years and still working pretty good.It has Samsung cell.

Back