What's out there for $600?

For $800, I think his best bet would be a quality (lightly) used ebike that originally sold for $1600. Buy junk, and it will end up being a coat rack in the garage.

Do just a bit of research before you buy, and you can easily get 10 years and over 20 thousand miles of use out of a well-spent $600.00.

It's not really difficult at all and only requires a bit of reading, maybe an hour or two of simple wrenchwork, like changing a tire.

He just let me know he had the money together and I ordered the Magicycle at $400 + $150 shipping.

Should be here by next Tuesday and I’ll report after I get it together.

I recall a conversation with him after I tuned up his mBike in which he said he likes to put it in the highest gear and just mash away on the pedals. The multi speed feature might not be used, so I think this was a good choice.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

My stepdaughter's boyfriend is looking to get a moped or eBike. His mom said the budget is $600. I don't think they can push it, the family is of modest means and has four boys (young men) living at home. This will help him be independent and get a job locally, but outside of the usual walking distance.

I asked if they could raise their budget to $800, then the Lectric XP Lite is a good option, but they can't.

The Sailnovo I had previously is good quality and price is down to $370 on Amazon, (I bought one for $500 last year) but he's 5'11 and it is a crash waiting to happen in terms of steering geometry. It's also not really pedalable past 10 mph with its low single gear.

I see that Amazon has a basic Magicycle for $600; belt drive, single speed commuter. This might be just the thing, as we don't live in a hilly area. How's Magicycle quality? It's a brand name I've seen mentioned here and I haven't seen anything bad, but I have no experience with them. I really like the belt drive and single speed for simplicity and low weight. It has a 52 V, 7 Ah battery:

I had a heybike before, it was OK, but with screechy brakes.

What else is out there?
OCEAN STATE OR EBAY. CHINESE JUNK. ENJOY!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Where did you get a Magicycle for $400 and what model is it? I did a quick search and they were all over 1K I found this though for $550 after $50 coupon. https://www.amazon.com/Speedrid-Electric-Powerful-Removable-Professional/dp/B08D3G3R2R/ref=sr_1_5?crid=BLHLD1POTVO2&keywords=Magicycle&qid=1689611398&sprefix=magicycle,aps,184&sr=8-5

The Amazon link says Magicycle but the bike is called Speedrid.

There are some pretty inexpensive ebikes out there.
Amazon. It's the Magicycle Commuter, from the link in the first post:

Does costco carry anything besides those jetsons? They have a great return policy
Costco carries the Sondors Smart Step. Thats where the Smart Step refurbs are coming from that @Rich Ruiz mentioned above. Some of those are nearly perfect, but some have lingering issues that were missed by the refurb process based on user reports in the Sondors FB user group.

Well there's Costco who has Jetson haze. Small folding 350w 48volt 3 spd. Very nice and at my location in 4 days they Sold 32 of them. I got girlfriend one before they was out of them $499. Well I'm now not with her so I'm just going keep it now. Fits in my back seat area of my escape suv I have. It does about 15mph and range they say is 15mlies little more with pedal assest. My 15 1/2 old grandson is flying in to visit, so I'll have the 2 e bikes for us. Nice folding little e bike but still weighs 48lbs. It's like a mini version of my Engwe engine pro my bike.

Attachments

• 20230704_191547.jpg
    20230704_191547.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230625_115513.jpg
    20230625_115513.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230623_010146.jpg
    20230623_010146.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230623_100019.jpg
    20230623_100019.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230623_004356.jpg
    20230623_004356.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 73
Well there's Costco who has Jetson haze. Small folding 350w 48volt 3 spd. Very nice and at my location in 4 days they Sold 32 of them. I got girlfriend one before they was out of them $499. Well I'm now not with her so I'm just going keep it now. Fits in my back seat area of my escape suv I have. It does about 15mph and range they say is 15mlies little more with pedal assest. My 15 1/2 old grandson is flying in to visit, so I'll have the 2 e bikes for us. Nice folding little e bike but still weighs 48lbs. It's like a mini version of my Engwe engine pro my bike.
That looks VERY similar to my old Sailnovo: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sailnovo-Teenagers-Removable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B08W1WC29S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=153FV606CBYCR&keywords=sailnovo+electric+bike&qid=1689861672&sprefix=sailnovo,aps,213&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

(except it folds in the middle, not just at the handlebars and is 48 V instead of 36.)

Before you let your grandson ride it, try it carefully with one hand steering. With those smaller wheels, my Sailnovo was quite unstable at speed if I let go of one hand grip, for example to turn and do a shoulder check. My 17 year old crashed it twice and my 12 year old niece crashed it too. Too bad, it was a fun little bike.

It's nice to have a spare eBike around for visitors. My Lectric XP Lite serves that role now.

That looks VERY similar to my old Sailnovo: https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sailnovo-Teenagers-Removable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B08W1WC29S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=153FV606CBYCR&keywords=sailnovo+electric+bike&qid=1689861672&sprefix=sailnovo,aps,213&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

(except it folds in the middle, not just at the handlebars and is 48 V instead of 36.)

Before you let your grandson ride it, try it carefully with one hand steering. With those smaller wheels, my Sailnovo was quite unstable at speed if I let go of one hand grip, for example to turn and do a shoulder check. My 17 year old crashed it twice and my 12 year old niece crashed it too. Too bad, it was a fun little bike.

It's nice to have a spare eBike around for visitors. My Lectric XP Lite serves that role now.
Thanks, my grandson will have helmet gloves knee pads, maybe air bag system. Just getting excited seeing him and my daughter. Been few years since I got back up to Washington. Surgeries.

Back