What's out there for $600?

Smaug

Local time
7:29 AM
My stepdaughter's boyfriend is looking to get a moped or eBike. His mom said the budget is $600. I don't think they can push it, the family is of modest means and has four boys (young men) living at home. This will help him be independent and get a job locally, but outside of the usual walking distance.

I asked if they could raise their budget to $800, then the Lectric XP Lite is a good option, but they can't.

The Sailnovo I had previously is good quality and price is down to $370 on Amazon, (I bought one for $500 last year) but he's 5'11 and it is a crash waiting to happen in terms of steering geometry. It's also not really pedalable past 10 mph with its low single gear.

I see that Amazon has a basic Magicycle for $600; belt drive, single speed commuter. This might be just the thing, as we don't live in a hilly area. How's Magicycle quality? It's a brand name I've seen mentioned here and I haven't seen anything bad, but I have no experience with them. I really like the belt drive and single speed for simplicity and low weight. It has a 52 V, 7 Ah battery:

I had a heybike before, it was OK, but with screechy brakes.

What else is out there?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
How far is he riding? Maybe a just a multi speed regular bike instead of ebike? If they're that strapped for cash......easier and cheaper to maintain as well......my two cents.

How far is he riding? Maybe a just a multi speed regular bike instead of ebike? If they're that strapped for cash......easier and cheaper to maintain as well......my two cents.
He's got an old mountain bike that fills that role, but when he comes over to our place in the summer to visit my stepdaughter or goes to work, he doesn't want to arrive sweaty.

Maybe the thing to do is to buy a hub motor conversion kit, then. Put it on his existing bike. Considering the compromises involved, I wouldn't trust a bike that cheap. But for under $600 you can get a pretty good wheel kit... maybe buy the battery someplace safer though.

This, btw, is what I'd call a quality wheel kit. Unfortunately its still out of your budget but that MTX39 rim is going to take ANYTHING you can throw at it in stride. I use them on fully custom wheel builds.

The thing is, $600 does not buy anything even remotely safe batterywise on a China kit. This is the USA seller and builder where I'd buy the battery from.

At a $600 price point ... I'd counsel to save some money over time and forget about the kind of risks you are asking for by going so cheap.

He has the bike, like m@ said though..the battery..or any decent battery (over 20ah) will cost about as much as they have to spend.

So, help him out like take some donations or somethin..i'm sure we can all afford to donate 20 bux or so..

Voilamart comes to mind

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
My advice so far is for him to do anything needed to raise the budget by $200 to $800, and then buy a Lectric XP 2.0, which are being blown out. He'll have a Class 3 eBike that can be folded if needed, but probably not daily. (when he moves out of his folks' house for college or whatnot) I told him I have chores he can do at my house to help make up the difference. Lawn-mowing, car washing, scrubbing the bathtub, etc. He's got a better work ethic than my stepdaughter.

Meanwhile, I'm going to watch the YouTube reviews of the Magicycle Commuter tonight.

For an only eBike, I like the idea of having mechanical gears, so he can limp home if he forgets to charge it and needs to limp home. Even if it means adding 10-15 lbs. and unnecessary fat tires. He DOES live right by the trails leading to the Kenosha Dunes on Lake Michigan...

Yooperlite collecting on lake michigan then selling on ebay or other platforms sounds like a plan ;)

Not alot of money to be made i think, but it seems like it'd be fun/enjoyable and could turn out to find other stuff like agates or if you haver the equipment there are people finding gold on the beaches but you have to look for the signs ;)

It's a fun idea, but I just don't have the time. I have a 17 year-old girl about to start her senior year, and she is a constant headache. I have an 11 year old girl that I spend a lot of time with and a wife who likes a lot of attention too. Mom has dementia, living with brother who is bipolar.

No time to be a rock hound, unless I give up biking!

The stepdaughter's boyfriend's parents had to buy a new car the other day, so the eBike is out for awhile. He understands (great kid).

I tuned up his mBike for him and he is young and able-bodied, so he can sweat for awhile yet. ;-)

I guess prices will continue their descent for the entry level bikes.

He's got an old mountain bike that fills that role, but when he comes over to our place in the summer to visit my stepdaughter or goes to work, he doesn't want to arrive sweaty.
I would encourage him to become creative and earn the extra $200 you mentioned for the Lectric bike. Mow some yards....collect bottles.....knock on some doors and offer to pull some weeds.....I bet he could come up with the money in no time if he wants to.

I would encourage him to become creative and earn the extra $200 you mentioned for the Lectric bike. Mow some yards....collect bottles.....knock on some doors and offer to pull some weeds.....I bet he could come up with the money in no time if he wants to.
He's doing it already. He'd doing odd jobs for the neighbors and said he'd do just about anything for me.
He said he owes me 45 minutes worth of labor for the bike tune-up I did on his bike. (I won't call that in; I'll pay him)

He's doing it already. He'd doing odd jobs for the neighbors and said he'd do just about anything for me.
He said he owes me 45 minutes worth of labor for the bike tune-up I did on his bike. (I won't call that in; I'll pay him)
He should have that extra $200 in no time.......wish him the best!

My stepdaughter's boyfriend is looking to get a moped or eBike. His mom said the budget is $600. I don't think they can push it, the family is of modest means and has four boys (young men) living at home. This will help him be independent and get a job locally, but outside of the usual walking distance.

I asked if they could raise their budget to $800, then the Lectric XP Lite is a good option, but they can't.

The Sailnovo I had previously is good quality and price is down to $370 on Amazon, (I bought one for $500 last year) but he's 5'11 and it is a crash waiting to happen in terms of steering geometry. It's also not really pedalable past 10 mph with its low single gear.

I see that Amazon has a basic Magicycle for $600; belt drive, single speed commuter. This might be just the thing, as we don't live in a hilly area. How's Magicycle quality? It's a brand name I've seen mentioned here and I haven't seen anything bad, but I have no experience with them. I really like the belt drive and single speed for simplicity and low weight. It has a 52 V, 7 Ah battery:

I had a heybike before, it was OK, but with screechy brakes.

What else is out there?
Look at the Sondors Smart Step refurbished bike.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back