Vevor controller concern.

imagineer

Local time
5:51 PM
First time poster, somewhat new to DC electronics… I’m working on building a 48v yard cart for helping Mrs. Imagineer with toting water to her gardens and various planting beds. What I’m building will be similar to this:

For a motor, I purchased a Vevor 48v 1800w kit. This past weekend, I bench tested it and it works fine, short video here:

My concern is when I attached the battery, there was a large spark. The throttle was connected. The plug for the power switch was not jumpered. With the battery connected, I twisted the throttle and nothing happened. I jumpered the power switch plug, twisted the throttle and the motor spun as expected. That tells me the controller is probably fine.

The big spark tells me that even with the throttle closed and the power switch disconnected, the controller is still pulling significant current.

Anyone have experience with these Vevor motor kits who can suggest what/why it might be pulling current?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This is common. XT90 or XT60 anti spark connectors will solve this, or just leave it plugged in. Spark not terribly harmful.

I believe what happens is a momentary current draw as some components in the controller absorb a lot of power. There is very little draw from a controller plugged in with no motor usage, after this initial rush. The anti-spark components just slow this down, not clear on any long term effects.

Below 60V, spark not real dangerous or harmful, and again, just leave it plugged in.

Also, controller should be turned OFF when plugging in battery. May not be the default with switch not connected. It should be, but China.

Thanks for the input. I'll order some of those anti-spark connectors.

Regarding the on/off switch; the kit I purchased didn't come with a switch so I plan to borrow an idea off my mower. I plan to add a "proximity switch" lever to the left side handgrip that will when squeezed, closes a micro-switch, thus turning on the controller. This way, the operators will need to have both hands on the handle bars to operate the cart.

Do you seen any problem with switching the controller like this?

Well... First, I have never seen or heard of anyone doing such a thing, or having a need for it.

Second, that sounds just like an ebrake switch, and those are a very regular source and cause of problems.

For your application, which is fairly unique, this might work. Actually could maybe use the standard e-brake lever, maybe ?

Back