Issue with EBike

Torahlover613

Local time
9:15 AM
Hey there!

I am new to the community and the EBike world so if I make any stupid mistakes please forgive me.

I am building an EBike on my own with an 1800W motorkit from VEVOR. I bought a 48v 20ah battery off Amazon and when I try to connect them I get a big spark(as you can see, I already had a blow twice). I will try to attach some pictures of my setup and if someone can give me some advice that would be great. Thanks!
20230913_170216 (1).jpg

Hey there!

I am new to the community and the EBike world so if I make any stupid mistakes please forgive me.

I am building an 1800 EBike on my own with an 1800W motorkit from VEVOR. I bought a 48v 20ah battery off Amazon and when I try to connect them I get a big spark(as you can see, I already had a blow twice). I will try to attach some pictures of my setup and if someone can give me some advice that would be great. Thanks!View attachment 10713
Well if you are trying to stick them bare wires in that xt60 connector. You are going to have some arching. There is a lot of amperage in that battery pack. Also why is power+ wire looked melted, was it from soldering or was it from repeated touching of the controller wires to the battery.

Well if you are trying to stick them bare wires in that xt60 connector. You are going to have some arching. There is a lot of amperage in that battery pack. Also why is power+ wire looked melted, was it from soldering or was it from repeated touching of the controller wires to the battery.
Hey there! Thanks for your answer.

Do you recommend then that I cut the other wires below the XT60 and that will work? Also the melted one was from the repeated touching and the sparks.

Thanks again!

Hey there! Thanks for your answer.

Do you recommend then that I cut the other wires below the XT60 and that will work? Also the melted one was from the repeated touching and the sparks.

Thanks again!
Buy the corresponding xt60 connector then solder & heat shrink the corresponding connector together.

Buy the corresponding xt60 connector then solder & heat shrink the corresponding connector together.
Hey there!

Unfortunately, I do not have a heat shrink or a solder. Would I be able to just cut off the XT60 and connect it that way? I want to make it as simple as possible that´s why. If this is not viable, is there anything else I can do? Thanks!

Hey there!

Unfortunately, I do not have a heat shrink or a solder. Would I be able to just cut off the XT60 and connect it that way? I want to make it as simple as possible that´s why. If this is not viable, is there anything else I can do? Thanks!
Go to a auto parts store & get some heat shrink 10gauge butt connectors. It's not the right way but should get you by. You need that corresponding xt60 connector & them 10gauge butt connectors to move forward. Also if there is a R/C shop in town they should have xt60 connectors. R/C = radio controlled cars, trucks, planes, boats hobby shop.

Go to a auto parts store & get some heat shrink 10gauge butt connectors. It's not the right way but should get you by. You need that corresponding xt60 connector & them 10gauge butt connectors to move forward. Also if there is a R/C shop in town they should have xt60 connectors. R/C = radio controlled cars, trucks, planes, boats hobby shop.
Okay. I am not sure about the corresponding XT60 connector though, I have seen a couple and not sure which one to get. Can you maybe send me a link to one so I know what connector you are reffering to. Also, what do I have to do with the connector, do I put it in to the XT60 directly?
Thanks again for your help.

Okay. I am not sure about the corresponding XT60 connector though, I have seen a couple and not sure which one to get. Can you maybe send me a link to one so I know what connector you are reffering to. Also, what do I have to do with the connector, do I put it in to the XT60 directly?
Thanks again for your help.
Let me verify you have the xt60 connector, which I'm fairly sure you do. Do you have a R/C hobby store in town?

Hey there. Yep I am pretty sure that´s an XT60. Yes I do have a hobby store near me.
If they sell R/C stuff they should have some xt60 male connectors. You need these connectors & some perma-seal butt splices. 12-10awg or 10-10awg butt splices. Also make sure your xt60 connectors you get are 10awg or 12awg wires. Here is a couple pics.
Screenshot_20230913-184503_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230913-184628_Chrome.jpg

B4 you go any further, can you get us pics of the speed controller specifications & your battery specifications. Should be a label on each item with specs. Or specs might be in the owners/ installation manual for the controller & battery. Thanks.

Does that battery list the maximum constant discharge amperage rating. That's what we need. It's the BMS specs for the battery. Was the battery & ebike kit sold separately?

I'm trying to get all the info so you can make sure everything is compatible. Trying to protect your investment. Thanks.

Does that battery list the maximum constant discharge amperage rating. That's what we need. It's the BMS specs for the battery. Was the battery & ebike kit sold separately?

I'm trying to get all the info so you can make sure everything is compatible. Trying to protect your investment. Thanks.
Hey there!

Sorry I did not see your message before. No that happens on quite a few chinese battery's. They put some crazy number on it but it is not the actual amperage. Yes the Ebike kit and battery were sold seperately. Also I have no idea the BMS specs.

Thanks!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The way that you burnt the plug I would replace both ends and use an XT90S connector these,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L3S2ZK...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

They don't arc when you connect them, well worth the extra couple of dollars.

Then get yourself a kit like this, to make the connections.

Be super careful not to accidentally short out you battery when you replace that end (or KABOOM) and use the female connector on the battery.
Munirider what did they do different from the xt90s plugs over the xt60 plugs. I'm curious as I'm just getting into ebikes. Thanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hey there!

Sorry I did not see your message before. No that happens on quite a few chinese battery's. They put some crazy number on it but it is not the actual amperage. Yes the Ebike kit and battery were sold seperately. Also I have no idea the BMS specs.

Thanks!
Do you know the brand/ name of your battery you bought? Was it from amazon? ebay? Thanks

Munirider what did they do different from the xt90s plugs over the xt60 plugs. I'm curious as I'm just getting into ebikes. Thanks.
For one they are larger and have a higher rating. The anti spark feature they have is in the positive side of the female receptacle it has a green separation in the middle of the brass. I think all that it is doing is making the negative connection first then the positive, but maybe it's more than that. I'm not sure.

I bought a package of the bare plugs and use a soldering gun to solder them on rather than use crimp connectors and I clamp them in a small bench vise and use an abundance of caution when soldering the battery side to not short out the battery.

For one they are larger and have a higher rating. The anti spark feature they have is in the positive side of the female receptacle it has a green separation in the middle of the brass. I think all that it is doing is making the negative connection first then the positive, but maybe it's more than that. I'm not sure.

I bought a package of the bare plugs and use a soldering gun to solder them on rather than use crimp connectors and I clamp them in a small bench vise and use an abundance of caution when soldering the battery side so as to not short out the battery.
Thanks. I'll have to check them out. I wanna see how they are, so to say isolating 1 side when connected & disconnected. Thanks.

Back