Old fogey just starting into eBikes (Aventon Level.2)

OneEyedCat

Local time
2:53 AM
Hi, everyone! I was out riding my 1972 Peugeot PX10E and fell twice, had difficulty getting my leg over the top tube and decided to try an eBike with step thru design. Local dealer sells Aventon's and test ride on Level.2 sealed the deal for me. I don't have it yet, it's on layaway, but my wife is going to help pay for it as a Christmas gift. I'm happy to connect to this community and get some information and advice as I go forward, so thanks everyone for being here! I live in central Ohio, so a lot of snow in winter. I'm retired now (just turned 70) but was a mental health therapist in my working life. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you as I peruse these forums.

Welcome from SE Wisconsin. I used to ride my sport-touring motorcycles through Ohio on the way down to the southeast in search of nice twisty roads.

I'm a Level.2 owner myself. Maybe you will find some of my information in this thread useful?

The riding posture of the Level.2 is pretty committed, but nothing like your old Peugot. This is the nicest of the 4 eBikes I have, and nicer than two that I got rid of as well.

Enjoy your stay.

Welcome.....you will love your new ebike. I have a step thru as well.....mine is a Lectric XP 2.0....love it. I ride for some exercise in PA 1 95% of the time......with a new knee and hip.....the step thru is perfect. Have fun.....be safe.

"I'm retired now (just turned 70) but was a mental health therapist in my working life. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you as I peruse these forums." - Many of us here are also up in age so you're not alone....in a couple months I'll be 64....don't have an eBike yet but maybe sometime down the road....you're in good company.....

Hi, everyone! I was out riding my 1972 Peugeot PX10E and fell twice, had difficulty getting my leg over the top tube and decided to try an eBike with step thru design. Local dealer sells Aventon's and test ride on Level.2 sealed the deal for me. I don't have it yet, it's on layaway, but my wife is going to help pay for it as a Christmas gift. I'm happy to connect to this community and get some information and advice as I go forward, so thanks everyone for being here! I live in central Ohio, so a lot of snow in winter. I'm retired now (just turned 70) but was a mental health therapist in my working life. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you as I peruse these forums.
Welcome to the forum, my wife and I have aventon’s you will love yours

To everyone who has replied, many thanks for the encouraging words! I've now picked up the Aventon Level.2. It was modified with a adjustable stem and swept back handlebars - changes which allow me to sit a little more upright. I've had it out daily, even though it is cold & windy. I'm lucky because there are some trails nearby. I'm trying out the AllTrails app which includes these trails (as far as I can tell). As you've all predicted I really love this bike. I'm a little nervous that I will fall and unfortunately I fell a couple times -- once at an intersection when cars came into the intersection and I didn't have time to stop properly; another time when I suddenly and unexpectantly went down a steep part of a trail and lost control, banging my head hard on the ground. I'm OK and the bike is OK (scratched the rear rack), I will keep trying and practice stopping/getting off the bike. Once again, thanks for the wonderful comments from everyone!

Glad you've okay. Hope you are wearing a helmet. I hated the thought of wearing a helmet on a bike but after a pretty serious accident my wife convinced me to get one. I still don't like wearing it but like you I'm not young any longer (72). Enjoy your bike, they are a lot of fun.

I was given the opportunity to test ride an eBike thanks to @Orcasprout and seeing how fast they can go gave me cause & reason to give it a 2nd thought about getting one. Not because I wouldn't be able to control or handle it but the possibility of having to stop suddenly depending on the situation. I haven't given up on the idea of maybe converting my conventional bike to an eBike but there are more important issues to consider when going battery-powered than you do on a conventional bike. Speed and braking distance chief among them. Conversion costs also played a factor.

I turn 60 next yr, I've been riding ebikes now for 5 yrs. I cobbled together my first bike, a hybrid frame & a 1000w rear hub. After riding it for a few years, I decided I'd like something newer, so I bought a lankeleisi md740plus & I love it. In the uk we're restricted to 250w & a top speed of 15.5mph. The lankeleisi is a 2 x 1000w hub driven ebike but it comes restricted to the legal UK 15.5mph. It can easily be deristricted for off road use via the display. It came with a 48v 20ah battery & in restricted mode the range is pretty good, I purchased a rack & added a cycle box so I could carry a spare battery. I'm able now to visit friends 30 plus miles from my home & it cost pennies to charge. Good luck with your purchase, someone isn't going to be getting any sleep come Christmas eve all the best Rob uk

Hey there. You probably did well with the Aventon as a first e-bike. If you don't mind the cold, try studded tires for the snow. They're awesome.

Welcome.

You made a good choice. There's an Aventon shop less than 2 miles from my house. It'll be nice having a shop that can repair your bike, or sell you parts if anything happens.

Glad you've okay. Hope you are wearing a helmet. I hated the thought of wearing a helmet on a bike but after a pretty serious accident my wife convinced me to get one. I still don't like wearing it but like you I'm not young any longer (72). Enjoy your bike, they are a lot of fun.
Yes, I am wearing a helmet. One of the falls caused my head to pound into the ground, causing a temporary headache, so I'm glad I had the helmet. I've upgraded to a Bern Hudson helmet which is NTA 8776 and MIPS rated for max protection, although they are quite expensive.

You made a good choice. There's an Aventon shop less than 2 miles from my house. It'll be nice having a shop that can repair your bike, or sell you parts if anything happens.
Yes, I also have a LBS that sold me the Aventon. One of the selling points was free tune ups the first year, although I've always maintained my own bikes since the 1970's. What's new since then are hydraulic brakes, non-quill style headset, and the front suspension fork in addition to rear hub motor and in-frame battery.

Welcome!
My Dear Wife and I are in our 60s and we each got an Aventure.2 step thru last year.
The pedal assist allowed us to get back out there and enjoy long(ish) rides without having to live on ibuprofen afterwards.

Back