UPP/Unit Pack Power "Dangerous and Unsafe"... Forced to Withdraw from UK market

m@Robertson

Local time
5:23 AM
The actual UK government web site says
The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) is taking enforcement action and warning consumers about a brand of e-bike battery – UPP – that has been linked to a number of fires across England. Four online marketplaces have been issued with Withdrawal Notices which require them, in their roles as distributors of the product, to stop supplying the UPP battery. OPSS has also issued a Withdrawal Notice to 20 sellers directly and has also issued a Withdrawal Notice to the China-based manufacturer.

Consumers are being advised not to use the battery and contact the seller for further redress. Batteries can also be disposed of in local household recycling centres, however consumers should check first with their local centre if they accept this type of battery.

Graham Russell, Chief Executive of OPSS said:

"We consider these UPP batteries to be dangerous, and that is why we are taking this action to stop them being supplied. Consumers need to be aware of the risk of these batteries failing, and the potential fatal consequences that can occur. If anyone owns one, they should not use it and contact the seller for redress."
Here is a screen shot of the mobile phone version of the Product Safety Report that is linked in full from the link I posted above.

Note the Risk Description. If you have been around the DIY builder community for awhile, this sounds mighty familiar and not just for the two batteries OPSS tested. I have seen private tear-down reports from battery manufacturers who were appalled by what they saw inside. But the company has fans who always found excuses to shoot down the criticism.
422234761_10168708240045387_6903276640020221352_n.jpg

Amazon UK is sending out recall notices as they are being posted online in FB user groups. They are still for sale on the USA Amazon but I have to wonder if the liability Amazon may incur for leaving the product on the market in the USA will get them pulled here too.

I believe these batteries are now banned by the UK Govt.

I hope these measures prompt OEMs and end-users to adopt safer, higher-quality battery standards.

That was a pretty well-written article.

Re. the part from the group that says the government is not doing enough, they almost certainly have not stopped with the ban. They are going after the manufacturer for documentation that backs up their CE or UKCA declaration of conformity to the regulation cited. They will look at it with a fine-toothed comb and find that they did not do the right things, and they will end up being hit with a huge fine. (or rather a small fine, on each unit sold)

Then, the Chinese manufacturer will just close up shop and move down the block and start a new company. They will make something very similar and do a slightly better job and make a few million more bucks.

At my company, whenever we source an alternate cell for an existing battery pack, it costs us $60-80k to redo all the testing. It would be even more for a new battery pack.

That pack mentioned in the article is a particularly big risk for the seller, as it's marketed to DIY-ers, who learn from experience.

... it's marketed to DIY-ers, who learn from experience.
Or don't and remain fanboys. The Facebook groups are still filled with apologists who come up with all kinds of excuses as to why the test was unfair or really didn't apply to the real UPP etc. etc. etc.

Its more of the same behavior from people who found ways to justify to themselves how buying the cheapest batteries on the market wasn't any kind of risk.

Back