Batteries, rain, and UL-certification

KB's_ebikes

Local time
1:34 AM
What is your experience with ebikes and rain (I'm not talking about drizzling-type of rain you may find in Europe or maybe some parts or NW etc, but talking about the Southern-US type of rain where you might actually drown if you can't get inside fast enough :) I bought a neopren protector to mitigate the risks a little bit.

While we are at it, water and electric bikes, especially batteries and UL-certifications. One of the reasons I bought the Wallke ebike was an UL-certified battery. Wallke claims that their F1, F2 and H6 all have UL-certified batteries...BUT..after ordering and looking at the battery there is no UL-label on battery or charger. Also didn't find anything in the UL-database:

I have since learned that this is a common issue with certain ebike impoerters that import the cheaper ebikes from China. Many claim UL-certification but is is basically an advertising lie. I just saw that Jasion, another Amazon Chinese brand sort of, claims that their new collection of ebikes is UL-certified. Same thing, nothing to be found in the UL prospector.

However, I am not quite sure if I have the correct resources and/or use the UL database in the correct way.

Did anyone ever try to contact UL-solutions directly?

You can always improve the seal of any battery and mount via Silicone sealant on stationary seams, and a felt/foam gasket on the space between the battery and the mount.

I would not ride during our local monsoon season (and yes, they have one in Southern Arizona. It surprised me the first year I moved here).

I think I found the answer to my own question about UL-certification (maybe someone finds it useful). It gives some interesting insight into how the logic of Chinese companies' works. No that this is anything new, tho :)

I couldn't find the battery manufacturer nor the battery in the UL-database. However, a clue came from the sign on the battery (C RU US) which, and I didn't know that, means: The mark is called certifcate of compliance seen as “UR / RU” is UL's mark for certified products that are intended to be used inside of other devices, and as a single component is not equal to that of a final UL Listed marked product.

So the claim of "UL-certified battery" stems from the UL certificate of compliance MH64861 for another battery model TRCRFD031305YY from the same battery manufacturer (Guangdong Tianchi New Energy Technologyy). I assume that whatever part inside the other battery UL had certified is also used in the F1/F2 batteries. However, as stated on the certificate it does NOT authorize the use of the UL mark or is eqivalent to the UL 2271 certification for ebike batteries. I guess Wallke and Guangdong Tianchi went out on a limp to come to the conclusion that the certifcate of compliance (C RU US) for one battery can be used for another battery, and actually means these batteries are UL certified. While they are UL certified... in a sense... they are NOT UL 2271 certified as required for instance by NYC law, and can't be advertised using the UL mark as seen in their ads! This will will put the ebike importer at risk for a law suit from UL for trademark infringement.

Attachments

• MH64861.jpg
    MH64861.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240207_173710344.jpg
    IMG_20240207_173710344.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 25
Fake UL certification is an unfortunately common issue. A Far Eastern importer is under no real risk of a lawsuit, unfortunately. They just shift to another label and who are you planning on serving papers to if the company is located in Guangdong? Some of the marks are also self-certifications that carry no weight.

As for riding in torrential rain, I've always relied on a mix of slit-open plastic baggies, cling wrap, velcro and rubber bands to seal up my handlebar gadgets. Thats where the real water risk is. I've always protected my batteries in battery bags (treated with silicone spray) or box them in on my frame, and HIGO/Julet connectors are waterproof. Moreso when you add a little dielectric grease to the connection.

We just got thru an enormous series of storms here the media likes to hype as an atmospheric river - power was knocked out at my house for four days. I charged thru my solar system which was still able to mostly top back up despite the clouds. The only issues I had were my damn chain and drivetrain were a mess, and the bike became a sand trap from all the grit that came up off the road.

img_20181002_073623[1].jpg

Fake UL certification is an unfortunately common issue. A Far Eastern importer is under no real risk of a lawsuit, unfortunately. They just shift to another label and who are you planning on serving papers to if the company is located in Guangdong? Some of the marks are also self-certifications that carry no weight.

As for riding in torrential rain, I've always relied on a mix of slit-open plastic baggies, cling wrap, velcro and rubber bands to seal up my handlebar gadgets. Thats where the real water risk is. I've always protected my batteries in battery bags (treated with silicone spray) or box them in on my frame, and HIGO/Julet connectors are waterproof. Moreso when you add a little dielectric grease to the connection.

We just got thru an enormous series of storms here the media likes to hype as an atmospheric river - power was knocked out at my house for four days. I charged thru my solar system which was still able to mostly top back up despite the clouds. The only issues I had were my damn chain and drivetrain were a mess, and the bike became a sand trap from all the grit that came up off the road.

View attachment 13292
Cool...I hadn't yet thought about the display. I have a Kingmeter digital II so a small ziplock in my tool bag will come in handy I guess.

You can always improve the seal of any battery and mount via Silicone sealant on stationary seams, and a felt/foam gasket on the space between the battery and the mount.

I would not ride during our local monsoon season (and yes, they have one in Southern Arizona. It surprised me the first year I moved here).
Yeah, it really is the huge amount of water coming down within 10-15 min that worried me a little bit. But I think the simple neoprene cover for $7, at least if it fits snuggly, will do the job for the in-frame battery.

Back