Allow Myself to Introduce . . . Myself

I would really like to get rid of our truck and use ebikes....we try to drive the truck as little as possible and use the bikes as much as we can for errands. It's not always possible depending on where we are, we now look for places that are close to shopping and bike friendly.

I would really like to get rid of our truck and use ebikes....we try to drive the truck as little as possible and use the bikes as much as we can for errands. It's not always possible depending on where we are, we now look for places that are close to shopping and bike friendly.
I'm with you.

I've been using my eBike for all commuting and small shopping trips lately. I was disappointed yesterday evening when I had to take the car to make a Costco trip. Tonight, I need to use the car to go the 20 miles to pick up my daughter, as my ex would raise perfect hell if I tried to pick her up on an eBike. (and rightfully so; there are not safe roads in that suburb for her) Just the dangerous "stroads" we have in so many American suburbs.

that't the way to go. You have all my appreciation!

The Lectric XP3 is a good bike at $999, 76 pounds, folding, plenty of power on hills—good service from a Company of young people out of Phoenix. My wife and I have one and she just bought the Lectric XP Light at just 46 pounds for $799. which she likes allot.

Welcome, from Wisconsin!

Get rid of that old VW before it costs you more money. Germany no longer makes cars that are good to keep past about ten years. They will break you on parts cost alone.

If you want to avoid Chinese junk, you should avoid Velotric and Fiido. Rad costs more because they have US-based support that will actually help you in case of problems. Rather than save money on a cheaper brand, how about getting an older model of Rad that is still current? Rad 3s aren’t a good value.

In your situation, you might find a folding bike like Lectric XP 3.0 to be handy. You can easily bring it up to your apartment and fold it for easy storage. (Though they ARE heavy, at 65 lbs) It comes with a sturdy rack and fenders and a powerful electric system. This is often cited as the best value eBike for under a grand. Good American company.

Ride1up just introduced a competitor model, which is on sale for $900 right now. It’ll most likely go back up to $1k after Thanksgiving. This brand has a good reputation.

Either of the above two models had multiple mechanical speeds, so hill climbing isn’t out of the picture. You can downshift and help the motor out.

If you really are going to avoid hill climbing, I recommend the Lectric XP Lite, which only weighs 40 lbs. It’s a single speed, so it’s simpler. Doesn’t normally come with the rack and fenders, but I believe the current promotion does include them all for $750. On mine, I replaced the knobby tires with street tires, replaced the stock seat with the comfort seat + shock seat post and added the fenders. Great Bike.
I agree with this recommendation, mostly because of the features and price. A few other comments: virtually every bike in your price range is from china one way or another. The fact that a company has its own web site instead of using Amazon doesn’t mean much for better customer service. A big plus of buying on Amazon is the ability to return it if it doesn’t work.ebike sales are a Wild West market especially at the lower prices. You do the best you can and hope for the best. P. S. Don’t cheap out on the helmet.

<snip> A big plus of buying on Amazon is the ability to return it if it doesn’t work.ebike sales are a Wild West market especially at the lower prices. You do the best you can and hope for the best. P. S. Don’t cheap out on the helmet.
Amazon isn't much help in this regard. The seller will insist you return it in original packaging, but who's keeping that around?
Also, the chances of getting it back in the original packaging are pretty slim unless you have someone take a video of your unboxing.

When you buy an eBike online, it's important to accept that (even with a good company) you're on the hook for doing some of the work yourself. They may support you with replacement parts, but most bike shops don't want to work on the bikes at all, and if so, they usually opt out of any electronics issues.

From their point of view, you would have gone for a cheaper product from their competition, then you show up and want service from them. So they will only do it if it's profitable. (and you can't blame them for that, either)

Back