Tool batteries as power source

Radler

Local time
12:08 AM
Hey all, I would like to explore the possibilities of using tool batteries to power my bike. Here's the scoop:

I have a Heybike Race with a 48V 12Ah battery. Nothing wrong with it, I get around 40mi out of it as long as I pedal a bit.
I also have some 62V (really 58-60, I think) 4Ah batteries. They came with a chainsaw I bought for very little money, and now that there are no more trees in 10mi radius the batteries are just wasting away (Just kidding about the trees, okay?).

So I am wondering if there would be ANY way to throw one of two of 'em into the backpack and plug 'em in at some point.
I see two main challenges... the voltage, and the connection.

As for voltage, they are fully charged at 62V. The Hey battery at 54V. So quite a bit of difference. On the Hey-panel, I can dial in voltage, but I am not sure that does anything as far as protecting the motor, most likely just some calibration for the screen stats itself.
So, the question is... assuming it is NOT safe to run the Hey-motor at 62V, would it make sense to look into some sort of DC-DC converter that brings the voltage down some? I know we're dealing with quite some amps here, so losses and heat might be an issue.

Second challenge would be how to connect the two. My chainsaw batteries are somewhat off-brand, so there are no existing adapters that might adapt it from one tool to another, as you find with the big names. I guess I could rig up something, but it needs to be removable in case any of those trees pop back up. :p

Any thoughts? This isn't a life/death thing so if it is just mostly a stupid idea, not all is lost... The batteries have a USB port so I can still use them to recharge stuff when on the road.

usb port is the answer,do not know of any voltage converters that go that high,had one that would step 36-48 volts to 12 could find no use for it finally gave it away

Intrigued... can you elaborate on your "usb port is the answer" statement? I think the max a regular USB port (not USB-C PD/QC etc) can output is 5V and maybe 1.5A, so not useful for powering a bike nor charging the bike batteries.

Back