Trouble Finding Sprocket Guards

Hoggdoc

Staff member
Local time
11:34 AM
Some time ago I changed the front sprocket on my Himiway Cruiser to a 52 tooth. This seems to be a common mod these days. My issue I have looked everywhere and have been unable to find a guard for the larger sprocket. I believe this is because the 104BCD bolt spacing is typically only used on mountain e bikes and they use much smaller (less teeth) on the drive sprockets.

I think this maybe a opportunity for someone with 3D printing and CAD knowledge to make a small cottage industry providing these guards. Unfortunately I possess neither of these talents.

So the question is does anyone on the forum know of such a person or have they found a source for guards for the larger sprockets.

Heya doc how've ya been?

Would anything in here work?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeah, there’s not much out there for 104bcd chain ring guards. That’s why on any e-bike that I decide to change chainring tooth count I just purchase these 130BCD cranksets. They are very inexpensive and all of the chainrings for them have integrated guards. If in the rare situation that you want a double chainring you can always add a normal 130bcd inner ring to them with longer chainring bolts. One of my e-bikes is running a 38/47t double configuration with this crank set. I have used several of these cranksets and they look and perform well. I’m not sure if the chainrings themselves are hardened or not. The cranks are 6061. I did drop a chain once when shifting and jumping off a curb and it bend a couple chainring teeth, but I was able to bend them back straight without cracking and am still using it today.
This is a pic before I added the inner ring.
942CE170-FF78-4A20-907F-91E2D4DCA995.jpeg

Yeah, there’s not much out there for 104bcd chain ring guards. That’s why on any e-bike that I decide to change chainring tooth count I just purchase these 130BCD cranksets. They are very inexpensive and all of the chainrings for them have integrated guards. If in the rare situation that you want a double chainring you can always add a normal 130bcd inner ring to them with longer chainring bolts. One of my e-bikes is running a 38/47t double configuration with this crank set. I have used several of these cranksets and they look and perform well. I’m not sure if the chainrings themselves are hardened or not. The cranks are 6061. I did drop a chain once when shifting and jumping off a curb and it bend a couple chainring teeth, but I was able to bend them back straight without cracking and am still using it today.
This is a pic before I added the inner ring.
View attachment 9804
I hear you idea is a the better way, but I wanted to test the change before spending a lot of $. It has worked well except for losing the sprocket guard. That hasn't seemed to be much of an issue at this point and I like the look of my new red 52 tooth sprocket.

Back