Tested bike range

BrandonEffort

Local time
5:22 AM
My home made ebike has a 52v 40 amp battery, a 48v 2000w motor. The bike has a top speed of around 35mph.
Decided to see how far I could really travel over 2 days on one full charge. I decided to stick to an average of 20mph, motor power only.
First day I did 53 miles.
Second day I did 51 miles.
At the end of the test I had one bar left.
Which leaves me with the question. 40amp hour means at full speed I should get 40 miles at 35mph. So how did I manage 100 miles.? Have I figured this out wrong?

My home made ebike has a 52v 40 amp battery, a 48v 2000w motor. The bike has a top speed of around 35mph.
Decided to see how far I could really travel over 2 days on one full charge. I decided to stick to an average of 20mph, motor power only.
First day I did 53 miles.
Second day I did 51 miles.
At the end of the test I had one bar left.
Which leaves me with the question. 40amp hour means at full speed I should get 40 miles at 35mph. So how did I manage 100 miles.? Have I figured this out wrong?
My store bought ebike a freego f3 pro is 48v with a 20ah battery & a 35ah battery for a total of 55ah of battery. My bike in eco mode PAS2 which is 20mph will get 108miles & i have 1 battery bar left on the display. Hope this helps & I would say is your mileage is about right.

There is a power squared function required relative to speed. It is not a one for one linear relationship. The jump in power required from 20 MPH to 35 MPH is quite significant, and well more than double the electrical drain, even though the difference is only 15MPH.

"40amp hour means at full speed I should get 40 miles at 35mph."

No, it does NOT, nor does it mean anything remotely resembling that.

You get one hour of whatever job 40 amps will achieve on your bike, with your load, your pedaling, your hills, your headwinds, etc.

Does a gallon of gas do the same job on a semi truck and a mini Cooper?

Back