shipping ebike from seattle to hawaii

dmcmillin75

Local time
9:01 AM
I have a cube kathmandu that I need shipped from seattle to hawaii and am not sure if it's even possible. I would think it would be but again, I am not sure. anyone have any resources in regards to this? this isn't for vacation, I normally live over there and the bike cost 5k and isn't easy to replace.

Just rent a bike in Hawaii, probably able to try something different.. or better.

The only time I would travel with my bicycle is when they can fit inside a Samsonite suitcase with me.

If I can't check the bike in during flight, plan to bring along a disposable bike.

Renting bikes in Hawaii is easy.

There are services that specialize in acting as freight forwarders for bicycles. One is bikeflights.com

You will need to box the bike but they take it from there. You can get a bike box at little or no cost from a local bike shop that will include packing blocks.

Generally speaking, most airlines will allow you to check your electric bike as long as the battery is removed and packed separately in carry-on or checked luggage. Some airlines may also require that the battery be placed in a fireproof container or bag before being taken on board.

But if the wattage exceedes TSA rules, try this article

Why go through the hassle when you can just rent a bike in hawaii?

Hi,

I am very interested to any suggestion regarding international shipping of ebike, in my case one of the main problem with them. There maybe many reasons for needing that. For instance an international relocation, the need to spend a couple of weeks in a place with short trips to other destinations with our own bike and well tested accessories and setting. Or maybe an emotional reason (we don't want to sell our beloved bike), etc. Other times the supplies, brands or models are limited in some places (I experienced the issue personally here too), and want to bring our personalised ebike with us when we relocate for work.

I believe that the difficulty of traveling by plane (but, I believe, not by ferry) with an ebike is one of the obstacles to its widespread use everywhere, especially for avid travelers such as I am. I hope safety will increase and this will change in the future.

Any suggestion or first-hand experience is welcome, as I will need too to relocate soon or later and the options to sell here are limited. Thanks.

The OP never said WHY he wanted to ship an eBike to Hawaii. Recommending he rent one is assuming it's for vacation.

What do you say, dmcmillin75?

It's great that you can ship it. Can you tell me if that is with or without the battery installed? I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from the airlines. I'm told the battery cannot be installed when it goes as luggage, but not whether I can take the battery as carry-on. . .

From what I have read the maximum battery wattage of all lithium batteries you carry with you onboard is 150 watt hours, that includes your phone plus your laptop plus what ever else you have. My 48v 7ah bottle battery is 336 watt hours. I believe I can ship my bigger batteries by surface. Has anybody successfully taken their standard hailong 12-17.5 ah battery with them on a plane, or been able to ship it say UPS? I am moving permanently to Italy, have been living in Italy on and off for three years and have e-bikes in both places. I brought two bikes in suitcases, and electrified them here. All my Italian bikes have batteries I bought here. I will likely bring the rest this year. Also vacation travel around Europe interests me. It might be okay on a train, I am sure I can do it on a bus.

From what I have read the maximum battery wattage of all lithium batteries you carry with you onboard is 150 watt hours, that includes your phone plus your laptop plus what ever else you have. My 48v 7ah bottle battery is 336 watt hours. I believe I can ship my bigger batteries by surface. Has anybody successfully taken their standard hailong 12-17.5 ah battery with them on a plane, or been able to ship it say UPS? I am moving permanently to Italy, have been living in Italy on and off for three years and have e-bikes in both places. I brought two bikes in suitcases, and electrified them here. All my Italian bikes have batteries I bought here. I will likely bring the rest this year. Also vacation travel around Europe interests me. It might be okay on a train, I am sure I can do it on a bus.

Then I wish you will enjoy my country...

Having said that, it's a nightmare to move an ebike from one place to another. In Barcelona, for example, it is not allowed to bring ANY electric vehicle on board the metro, not only ebike. It's a pity, although understandable, considering that internal combustion engines have never been allowed on board civil transport aircraft. But I hope this will change in the future with the advent of safer batteries.

Then I wish you will enjoy my country...

Having said that, it's a nightmare to move an ebike from one place to another. In Barcelona, for example, it is not allowed to bring ANY electric vehicle on board the metro, not only ebike. It's a pity, although understandable, considering that internal combustion engines have never been allowed on board civil transport aircraft. But I hope this will change in the future with the advent of safer batteries.
I definitely am enjoying Italy. It feels like home to me. Biking around the hilly backroads of Abruzzo is a true joy.

Great choice! I do not know what you do for a life but I spent a lot of time in Abruzzo, hiking in the Parco Nazionale, watching bears (at a distance...) and wolves.

I actually worked in Civitella Alfedena, training young kids to safely hike and spelunking in the mountains nearby.

May I ask you what are going to do there? Then I promise I will stop going off topics.

For a while... :LOL:

Building e-bikes and riding them to the nearby towns and villages to hang out in the cafes, working on my old house, getting others to buy the rest of this old frazione, and then rebuilding those. I need to get over to the national park with my e-bike Mtb or just to hike. Been a happy homebody with my little shop. Basically sort of retired.

Back