Reversing brake lever function

mikeroebuck

Local time
12:20 PM
I have a new Lectric XP 3.0 and I have a partially disabled right hand. Is it possible to switch the brake lever functions so that my left hand lever operates the rear brake and right hand closes the front brake?

First ride out I instinctively used my dominant left hand to brake, locked the front tire and threw myself off the bike. (Yes, it hurt and I got a nice fat lip from the face plant). I'm 65 and recovering from back surgery, so I bought this to ge more mobile and help my recovery.

I'm not directly familiar with you Lectric but you can just switch your brake cables from right to left. I did a quick search and it looks like you have mechanical disc brakes, and it looks like the cables are long enough.

On your brake lever cable adjusters there is a split. Screw the adjuster all the way in then line up the split with the split in lever. Then pull the cable housing out of the adjuster and lever. Pull the lever enough that you can pop the cable end out. Do the same on the other lever then switch the cables over to the opposite sides.

If you have hydraulic brakes you will probably want to have bike shop do it for you as this will require bleading your brakes.

Thank you for the response. They are hydraulic (new with XP 3.0), so it looks like I will need professional help. I can attest, they stop abruptly!

Before you do, what kind of brakes are they? Some Magura brake levers are reversible with right and left levers identical. If you have them you can just switch them without breaking their hydraulic connection.

I will have to research. They were Tektro mechanical brakes, but Lectric just switched to hydraulic, and I don't see a brand name in manual.

Take a close look at the levers to see if they would be the same if they were flipped over. If not you will need to have the brake lines switched.

It is not a problem to switch the cable from one side to the other. Simply unwrap the brade to get the cables free and then just remove the cable from the levers align the slot on the barrel adjusters and with the casles.

I understand your concern. But the front brake is the one which offers the greatest braking factor. It is unfortunate you only discovered the breaking factor. Rear brakes are nice, but only offer about 20 percent of the braking in most cases when you need to stop suddenly.

I would practice panic braking using the front brake on dry roads and work on getting the feel of it. I mostly use front brakes, except when on a surface which the grip is poor (wet roads, sand, gravel). Then I use more rear brake, and expect to take longer to stop.

I understand your concern. But the front brake is the one which offers the greatest braking factor. It is unfortunate you only discovered the breaking factor. Rear brakes are nice, but only offer about 20 percent of the braking in most cases when you need to stop suddenly.

I would practice panic braking using the front brake on dry roads and work on getting the feel of it. I mostly use front brakes, except when on a surface which the grip is poor (wet roads, sand, gravel). Then I use more rear brake, and expect to take longer to stop.
↑ This, 100%.

Here is a Magura video on how to install their brakes without bleeding them. I know how to and have blead brakes, but I followed these instructions when I recently installed my Magura MT5e brakes a few weeks back, and they work fantastic. I see no reason to bleed them at this time.

The important step it to loosen the clamp on the hand lever and then point the line up while you switch the lines. You will not be shortening the lines.

You could also increase the rotor size in the rear which will give you some more breaking power. I run 203MM rotors both front and rear. Yes, front brakes offer a lot of stopping power, but remember for 100 years bikes used coaster brakes and they worked well. Increasing rotor size usually just requires a different mounting block under the caliper and a new larger rotor.

Back