Older Bike E

Detectorguy

Local time
7:09 AM
I have a older Bike E recumbent and was wondering can I make it a Ebike mid drive ? One of my friends told me I could convert with a Hub drive but I wanted to do mid drive.

A picture or a link to the model/year that you have would help to see if one would fit. If it is like this one I found doing a quick search https://www.ebay.com/itm/175752368152?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338678874&toolid=20006&customid=s%3AGS%3Bgc%3Ac9c203bb4572108d6e6866b159da5ce0%3Bpt%3A1%3Bchoc%3A1&customid=s:GS;gc:c9c203bb4572108d6e6866b159da5ce0;pt:1;choc:2&msclkid=c9c203bb4572108d6e6866b159da5ce0

no it wouldn't work with a beam frame like that with the bottom bracket welded into it. There is no where for the motor to hang. But maybe you have something else?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
It would cost a fortune to put chain on a bike like that. I did not realize them bikes used that much chain.

Yes that is what I have, but I could not figure out how to do a mid drive on it. So I got a used bike on Craigslist on built a Ebike :) Yeah
I'm not trying to mess up your thread or nothing. But are you by chance on 1 or more metal detecting forums? Thanks.

I have a older Bike E recumbent and was wondering can I make it a Ebike mid drive ? One of my friends told me I could convert with a Hub drive but I wanted to do mid drive.
I saw an example of someone doing that to a BikeeE2 nearly 10 years ago. I think they sold a kit, but it was very expensive back then. They are much cheaper, more powerful, and more reliable now. I bring it up because - if I recollect correctly - they hooked the motor to the rear crank. That means that you could hook a similar kit to either a 2 chain or single chain Bikee.

As an irrelevant aside, I ran a 35 cc Honda 4stroke on the back of our BikeeE2. It connected to a NuVinci Developer's kit hub, with auto trans and a 3.8 turn down ratio. I used a tiny 12 volt battery, and an alternator and controller from a micro wind turbine kit, along with a $4 Radio Shack bridge AC/DC converter, to supply the auto trans shifter with the 12 volts and up to 60 watts required. Top speed, ~20 m/h, and it climbed steep hills with 2 aboard. But it bounced too much with 1 aboard, so I took it apart. If I hadn't thoroughly worn out my Bikee Rx I would have definitely converted it to mid drive. Rode it several days/week for over 20 years and couldn't get parts when they finally failed. Bikee's are not the fastest recumbents, but the toughest...

Would have helped if you had posted make year and images !!!!
They're both long gone. And - as I said - I never actually installed a mid drive on either bike. Anyone interested can search for the 10+year old installation kit as easily as I. But since the only point of my post was to affirm that it was possible/practical to do so, anyone can find the best modern kit available. An obvious tip - these bikes had 20" rear wheels, so that needs to be kept in mind when sprocketing. Or not - they shouldn't be taken above 18-20 m/h.

Any particular reason you specifically want a mid-drive conversion on the BikeE?
With smaller wheel diameter on the BikeE, a hub motor can likely have enough torque to propel most riders and offer good amount of power for assisted pedaling.
Why make it more complicated than need be?

Back