Lectric XP Trike

Mayhem56

Local time
4:00 PM
I had a Below the knee amputation last november. Now that I have my prosthetic. I am now using the electric XP trike to get around town to run my errands and also go to work. My only problem with this trike is that I do not like the ghost pedaling that I'm encountering when at max speed.

My question to this forum is has anyone ever tried putting on a larger crank arm set? I believe it's got a 36 tooth on there now. Can a 42 or even a 52 fit on there or has anyone tried or does anyone have any idea whether it would work or not?.

Michael

Welcome to the forums! :cool:

Yep it'll help stop ghost pedalin, at least it did for me :)

So here is the first pic without the 52th chainring,

1618602042903.jpeg

Then with the 52th chainring

IMG_20221106_094726 - Copy.jpg

That little bit will certainly be noticeable by you :)

I have the Electric XP Trike, it looks like there is not enough clearance towards the back where the red arrow is. I don't if I can put in a wider bottom bracket or not. I just need a half inch of clearance and I'm golden.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_171422.jpg
    IMG_20240404_171422.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 20
  • trike_e977c240-1985-4b1d-9e1a-87fc9aba492e.png
    trike_e977c240-1985-4b1d-9e1a-87fc9aba492e.png
    466 KB · Views: 17
As long as the cranks can spin freely, and your heels are not striking the frame (or chainguard), you're fine.
Wider bottom bracket may cause knee issues, maybe with prosthetic it's fine.
You can swap the bottom bracket for a longer spindle, as long as you have the proper tool to remove the original.
And you may need to mess with the cadence sensor.

You can fit a larger chainring with original crank, that would allow the gearing to be taller, may need to adjust the chain tensioner or even add a few links to the guide chain on the trike.

I think you should leave it alone. If you ghost pedal at top speed, that is a small price to pay for actually being able to pedal it home in low gear if you run it dry. They can only provide so much gear range, but on a heavy trike like this, low should take precedence.

Also: at higher speeds, your pedaling is not contributing much to the overall power. Want to confirm? Go to a PAS setting where you're NOT ghost pedaling in top gear. Press the Power button to cycle through the parameters displayed until you get to current. Now get going at that speed with throttle only and make a mental note of the current. (Amps) Then, start pedaling and see how much that motor current decreases. Hardly at all, right? The bottom line is that the motor's doing most of the work. Your not ghost pedaling may make you FEEL better, but it doesn't make a practical difference. Lectric knew what they were doing.

You may want to consider just going slower most of the time, where you are NOT ghost pedaling. You'll get more exercise AND more range on a charge.

Back