Tires & Tubes Inner tube that you don't have to remove the tire to replace?

After my last flat which was the first one I’ve had on a fat tire, I pushed that baby about a mile before it kicked my butt. Then I called my wife to come get me. I didn’t try to patch it because I was so close to home.
So now I’ve probably gone a little overboard. On both fat tire bikes I’m running Mr. Tuffy liners plus Flat Out. I’m not going through that ever again.

JET, I think your best bet is to treat your tubes with FlatOut and carry a patch kit as a back-up.

The FlatOut is like Slime, but better, since it lasts longer. When you get a puncture, the pressure in the tube takes some of this sticky fluid and fiber with it to the puncture and seals it up.

If you're aware when it happens, stop and spin that tire to make sure some of the FlatOut gets to the puncture. (since it's liquid, it will tend to roll to the lower part of the tube)

I use this in all my bikes with Schrader valve tubes. No flats that I've noticed yet. ;-)
Agreed... I'm using 16 oz of FlatOut in each tire as well as Tannus Liners together. I believe this is the most effective flat prevention methos currently available on the market. Bolton eBikes, which is now Area 13 eBikes did an objective comparison of many different flat prevention methods and the combination of FlatOut and Tannus Liners turned out to be the best.....

Attachments

• Capture Tannus Liners.JPG
    Capture Tannus Liners.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 47
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Those Tannus liners seem expensive IMO. I just couldn’t do it. So Mr. Tuffy liners for me for 60% less cost. If I was in Texas and had to deal with thorns then I could justify the Tannus liners.

If I may introduce some rain onto the parade: If those U-shaped tubes were any good, everyone would make them that way. Its not a complicated idea and there has been plenty of time to copy it (which is what Huffy did).

Those Tannus liners seem expensive IMO.
They are also known to flatten out to paper-thinness over time, which dramatically reduces its effectiveness. The problem was so bad that for a time at least Tannus recommended deflating your tires in between rides. Really. Now Tannus has a v2.0 material that is supposed to better resist that permanent compression, but I suspect that means the liners have an even bigger effect on ride quality (ordinary Tannus liners 'deaden' the tire's ability to flex).
The FlatOut is like Slime, but better, since it lasts longer.
It is also rated for holes double the size of Slime (1/4" vs. 1/2"), and based on some of my experiences, that claim is for real. Worst I have had happen is a strip of roofing nails from a nailgun putting six (!) holes in a row on a fat tire where I was using Flatout as a tubeless sealant (which it is fantastic at). The 10-year lifespan is a bonus.
Why add the extra weight of the liners, though?
With all of what I said about Tannus above still holding, I have used it in a combo with Flatout (and thicker tubes). I do it only when I have a tire without flat protection on its own. Since I ride bikes as an auto replacement reliability is supreme and things more important to recreational riders like weight don't really concern me.
Mr. Tuffy liners for me for 60% less cost

The Tuffy fat tire version is thinner than the original that has been around for decades (because of weight I am sure). Its nowhere near as effective. I used it on my fat tire commuter for a couple years and it never met a nail it didn't let thru.

If I may introduce some rain onto the parade: If those U-shaped tubes were any good, everyone would make them that way. Its not a complicated idea and there has been plenty of time to copy it (which is what Huffy did).
I guess the question is whether they're good enough. Good enough to finish the ride. Faster than patching with the wheel still on?

They would DEFINITELY be faster than removing the wheel to change the tube.

I think I'm going to buy some in the other sizes that the other brand makes. Try to carry two spares: one conventional and one double-ended. Hopefully, I don't "get to" try them both out any time soon, hehehe.

Can FlatOut be used through Presta valves?

The Tuffy fat tire version is thinner than the original that has been around for decades (because of weight I am sure). Its nowhere near as effective. I used it on my fat tire commuter for a couple years and it never met a nail it didn't let thru.
I’ve not encountered nails that I know of. Most common problem that I’ve had is small pieces of wire getting through. And also running over glass shards. Hopefully the liners will help. Haven’t noticed the weight really. When I add some flat out I might though. It’s an e-bike so no biggie. I don’t think I really want to add 16 ounces per tire like recommended, maybe 8-10 ounces.

I’ve not encountered nails that I know of. Most common problem that I’ve had is small pieces of wire getting through. And also running over glass shards. Hopefully the liners will help. Haven’t noticed the weight really. When I add some flat out I might though. It’s an e-bike so no biggie. I don’t think I really want to add 16 ounces per tire like recommended, maybe 8-10 ounces.
FYI, when I first got the FlatOut I called FlatOut Customer Service directly and spoke to the head guy there. He said they used to recommend 12 oz per wheel but have since changed and now recommend 16 oz per wheel. I've been running the Tannus Liners and 16 oz of FlatOut per wheel for 2 years now and no issues. I went away to work for 6 months and the bike just sat in one place in the garage for all that time. When I got back I just checked air pressure and charged the batteries and went for a ride. All is good. A lot of guys here are obsessing about this and that but at the end of the day the facts are that the combination of Tannus Liners and FlatOut together has been proven in different independent objective testing to be the best flat prevention there is currently.

We should acknowledge that the volume per wheel depends on the type of tire. On my bag of FlatOut at home, their tires are big ones: lawn tractor tires, motorcross tires, golf cart tires.

Are you talking about recommending 16 oz. for a 4x26" fat tire? That might be right, but on a 27.5x2.4" that's going to be a LOT.

Are you talking about recommending 16 oz. for a 4x26" fat tire? That might be right, but on a 27.5x2.4" that's going to be a LOT.
Yes, 26x4. That’s FlatOut’s recommended amount. 16oz
It’s pretty thick stuff so I can see why it could need more volume than the thinner alternatives.

I doubt it. The valve is not removable and not spring loaded, so when you start squeezing that thick stuff into it, it’s going to push the knurled finger nut down against the core opening and leave almost no space for the flat out to get into the tire.
The Alternative is to drill out and chamfer the rims for Schrader valves.

I guess the question is whether they're good enough. Good enough to finish the ride. Faster than patching with the wheel still on?

They would DEFINITELY be faster than removing the wheel to change the tube.
Yeah, but flats that are so severe you can't patch the tube with the wheel still on have been very rare for me. With the advent of Flatout, they are a grand total of one time over the last 2 1/2 years... I can say that cuz I have only had one flat in that span and it was a complete blowout. Still, removing the front hub motor'd wheel was just two bolts on the axle, two more on the torque arms and unplug the motor. Off it comes. The real saga was cleaning all the goo off of everything so I could try to patch it (turned out I didn't have a spare tube on the bike, which is because I am an idiot).

Awhile before that, I took this pic while I was doing a patch job on one of my hub motor'd wheels. Note the tire and tube are still on the bike. As an aside, this tube got to 7 patches before #8 was on a seam and I finally had to put in a new one.
img_20180623_123127-e1606776572737[1].jpg

Its not about doing a tough job so much as it is reconciling yourself to doing it, and getting on with it.

Its been a very rare thing for me to have to completely remove a wheel because I couldn't patch a tube. Its actually pretty easy to find the spot where the air is leaking out. In addition to the usual look-for-the-nail stuff, you can (preferably without witnesses) run the tube in front of your (ahem... closed) mouth. Yes really. Your lips are vastly more sensitive than regular skin and you will feel air coming out of a tube even coupled with a light outdoor breeze.

Yes it can, no problem. I use Presta on all of my tubes and of course my tubeless wheels, and even the tubeless use Flatout as a sealant, always put in thru the valve.

Yes, 26x4. That’s FlatOut’s recommended amount. 16oz
It’s pretty thick stuff so I can see why it could need more volume than the thinner alternatives.
If you are really up $hit creek, you'll be happy you have 16 oz in. I have had 6 holes in a tire from a line of nailgun nails still on their strip that took three tire refills (riding a block in between each refill) before Flatout finally sealed the tire permanently (years later I still run on the same tubeless Snowshoe XL). Another time I almost blew out a tire beyond redemption. Never did see what holed it, but there was a ton of sealant on the bike and that took a few air refills to limp home. Remember Flatout is meant to seal holes up to 1/2" wide and a whole lot of goo can blow out that big of a hole before it seals up.

Like ozzie21, I also gave Flatout a call and spoke to possibly the same head guy (he was their product manager for their bicycle products) and they had just completed working with Backcou, who did their first bicycle tests. The confirmed the 16 oz to me on the tires, and for say a 29x2.5 I was quoted 12 oz. Scale down from there depending on your tire size. They had never tried it as a tubeless sealant and we discussed what I planned to do and I passed along how it went after the fact to them.

The valve is not removable
Oh yes it is :) There is a hack for presta valves with non-removable cores which you can google ... but forget that, because nowadays only the cheapest tubes have Presta valves with non-removable cores. You just unscrew them with a little tool and poof you have an open hole that Flatout or any other sealant goes right in thru. All of my tubes from small and skinny to big and fat have them. Here's a pic that shows the component parts.

611UZ1oS3HL._AC_SL1200_[1].jpg

And before I figured out the removable core thing on presta valves, I did what you see in this video. It seems completely crazy but it works *perfectly*. If you have a supply of Presta tubes as I did, you can keep using them and just use this method to load them all up with Flatout. Since Flatout dries to a hard nub, the repair is permanent once it is filled with air. Even so I patched the hole with a Rema patch.

I had no idea that presta cores were removable. I always assumed they weren’t since the diameter was so small. And I’ve never seen a core removal tool that small.
Learned something new today! Thanks.
And I guess I’m adding 8 more ounces of flatout to all my fat 26x4 tires.

I had no idea that presta cores were removable. I always assumed they weren’t since the diameter was so small. And I’ve never seen a core removal tool that small.
Learned something new today! Thanks.
The tool for removing the cores is often tiny. BUT there are valve caps that have an integrated core remover in them. I've learned thats the way to go as when you need to remove a core, hunting down the damn remover is a PITA. I just put on one per bike. In a pinch you can use a small needlenose pliers to remove them as the cores have wrench flats.

And I guess I’m adding 8 more ounces of flatout to all my fat 26x4 tires.
embrace the horror :D For me the payoff has been zero unrecoverable fat tire incidents. The one where I got a more-than-half-inch slit and blew everything all to hell was a 20" x 2.4" front tire on my Bullitt. That pretty much sucked.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back