Hello from Latvia.

Krixs

Local time
1:53 PM
Hello. I'm thinking about becoming an e bike owner and actually found a good deal, but it hasn't got battery. So I'm guessing here I can find more experienced e bike owners then me, who could give me advice. How expensive it is to buy new batter for used bikes? I found some offers around 1k, but then the bike cost closer to new one.

Welcome, from southeast Wisconsin, USA.

There is more than one format, voltage and connection style for eBike batteries, so in order to help, can you send us a link to the bike somewhere online? There are a lot of eBikes that use a common "Shark style" 48 V battery, but we can't know without specifics.

Enjoy your stay. If you live in or near a city, eBikes are just wonderful.

Welcome, from southeast Wisconsin, USA.

There is more than one format, voltage and connection style for eBike batteries, so in order to help, can you send us a link to the bike somewhere online? There are a lot of eBikes that use a common "Shark style" 48 V battery, but we can't know without specifics.

Enjoy your stay. If you live in or near a city, eBikes are just wonderful.
Thank you for welcome. Just getting my head around it. The bike is in the garage with no clue if the motor works :D
This one looks like. I found few other versions, but this one look like the one.

Thank you for welcome. Just getting my head around it. The bike is in the garage with no clue if the motor works :D
This one looks like. I found few other versions, but this one look like the one.
From that bike's page, it needs a "Battery: EnergyPak Smart Integrated 500Wh".

The bike's brand name is Giant, who is a huge global bike manufacturer based in Taiwan.

Looks like Giant hasn't forgotten about it yet, can you order one from here?

Do you need a charger for it too, or did you get the charger? I think I would write to Giant's support group for that. (there's a link at the top of the previous page I linked to) I'd prefer less than a 6A charger that they recommend for good battery life. Charging at that high of a current will reduce the lifespan of the battery pack. They do mention a simpler 4 A charger on this page:

Thanks for help. I found battery yesterday for about 500 dollars. I have charger. I guess previous owner had some problems with battery and he found some guy who could fix it, but instead of fixing it he just stole it. So I guess I got lucky, cous bike looks like brand new besides battery. I thought maybe there will be alternative seller, but found only giant. Had more experience, maybe made my own battery, but I guess 500 is good deal.

Thanks for help. I found battery yesterday for about 500 dollars. I have charger.
Sorry to pick at your English here, but I will, since it could be a safety issue.
Did you mean:
  1. "I have a charger", or
  2. "I have the charger"
It has to be the right charger (esp. re. voltage and current); if either is too high, you might overcharge the battery and burn your house down.

I guess previous owner had some problems with battery and he found some guy who could fix it, but instead of fixing it he just stole it. So I guess I got lucky, cous bike looks like brand new besides battery. I thought maybe there will be alternative seller, but found only giant. Had more experience, maybe made my own battery, but I guess 500 is good deal.
I think $500 is a good price for an OEM battery, I think. Coming from Giant, it will have quality cells and probably safety certification. (even if only CE, which is self-declared, but the mfr. must be able to support it with data when requested)

Please report back with how awesome the bike is when you find out! If you're like me, you'll find yourself wanting to take it everywhere, whenever possible.

Get yourself a good lock, if you haven't already. A U-lock or heavy duty lock & chain. Anything that is quick release, you may want to modify to "slow release" for example, the seat height adjustment cam lever and front wheel are common ones. Thieves in big cities here in the USA will steal bike seats and front wheels if it's easy.

It's ok. English is not my first language as you can see. The charger. The one that came with bike. I registered the bike in data base so if it gets stolen. Hopefully it would help against thieves. I have original anti theft lock, but need a solid chain as well. At start I will ride to work only. At the moment weather outside is below 0 Celsius and I got road rubber on, so got to wait a bit :D

Welcome Krixs! I think Smaug and the others gave you already very good advice so... nothing to add, except I visited Riga (and Vilnius, and Tallin) in 2021 during a pretty long road trip (13.400 km) and found it an amazing place, just perfect for riding an (e)bike.

Back