Front sprocket upgrade to 52 tooth. Has anyone tried it?

otev893

Local time
1:50 AM
The samebike co5 has a 48 tooth front sprocket and can only do 18 mph in PAS4. In PAS5 the bike will do 27mph but you can't paddle to extend the battery life. Has anybody changed to a 52 tooth sprocket?

The samebike co5 has a 48 tooth front sprocket and can only do 18 mph in PAS4. In PAS5 the bike will do 27mph but you can't paddle to extend the battery life. Has anybody changed to a 52 tooth sprocket?
I did that exact update on my Himiway, it made a major difference in being able to help pedal at higher speeds.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 99
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
is going up 4 teeth make that big of difference? I have a Tesgo hummer pro and free wheel in pedal assist 5 I want to chang out my front sprocket also. Do you need to get a longer chain when doing this?

Check the length of your chain, once installed 52T chainring, rear derailleur might be over extended when chain is on the largest rear cog.

As commented on above, and if front & rear ‘upgrades’ are available for your particular bike, do both. Increase number of teeth on the front and decrease number of teeth on smallest cog on back. This site has a great calculator to show the differences:
https://bikes.fan/bike-gear-calculator/

It has made the world of difference on my fat tire cruiser, extending the range of the bike and at a higher avg speed to boot!

It doesn't matter, because at those speeds, your pedaling is a very small percentage of the power needed to move the bike along. On bikes that have a current or power display, you can clearly see it.

Many people get obsessed with this idea that an eBike should be geared high enough to pedal along at the power assist's top speed, but what they should REALLY be concerned with is that it should be geared low enough to limp back in case we run the battery down miles from home.

Back