Drop bar conversion

AdrianKe

Local time
12:17 PM
I need to either purchase an ebike or do a conversion of my existing Cannondale Topstone 4 dropbar gravelbike.

In terms of budget, there is nothing on the market that is within my budget and can climb 10 deg hill on my daily commute. My budget is 1800eu max. This is based on the fact that I sell my gravel bike.

I am considering a Bafang BBS02 or BBS01 and convert my gravelbike. The bike is being used for commuting and I bought it for a huge discount.

I have 3 concerns which I need advice with.
1. I know the drop bar is harder to convert but in terms of ride experience, does it cause alot of issues? I imagine a straight bar being easier to operate.
2. I have a carbon front fork, is that a risk in terms of strength?
3. If I decide to reverse the conversion to a normal bike in the future, does the Bafang damage the frame in any way? I'm thinking in terms of how you tighten it down at the BB and where is presses against the frame to counter the force applied by the motor.
4. Based on point no.3, should I consider a hub motor? If so, please make a suggestion.

This is the bike. I feel guilty to convert is because I think it looks cool.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-22 at 14.48.33_9e57d919.jpg

IMG_20240222_183144011.jpg
IMG_20240222_183240457.jpg
IMG_20240222_183115253.jpg

I need to either purchase an ebike or do a conversion of my existing Cannondale Topstone 4 dropbar gravelbike.

In terms of budget, there is nothing on the market that is within my budget and can climb 10 deg hill on my daily commute. My budget is 1800eu max. This is based on the fact that I sell my gravel bike.

I am considering a Bafang BBS02 or BBS01 and convert my gravelbike. The bike is being used for commuting and I bought it for a huge discount.

I have 3 concerns which I need advice with.
1. I know the drop bar is harder to convert but in terms of ride experience, does it cause alot of issues? I imagine a straight bar being easier to operate.
2. I have a carbon front fork, is that a risk in terms of strength?
3. If I decide to reverse the conversion to a normal bike in the future, does the Bafang damage the frame in any way? I'm thinking in terms of how you tighten it down at the BB and where is presses against the frame to counter the force applied by the motor.
4. Based on point no.3, should I consider a hub motor? If so, please make a suggestion.

This is the bike. I feel guilty to convert is because I think it looks cool.

View attachment 13413
I installed a Bafang bbs02 in a 1990's MASI.It does not require any modifications to the bike.For dropbars you order brake sensor instead of the lever.It attaches to the brake hood to cut off the motor when you pull the brakes.I use it when shifting so there's no load on the drivetrain.Mine is set up for single or dual battery.

Back