DD motor Regen is it bad for the battery?

J

James340

I take 3 or 4 mile rides multiple times a day with out using the motor but it's on and ready.I have seen the display add a bar to the battery level so I know the motor is creating electricity.I wanted to know if it is bad for the battery.Thanks for your time.

No. The BMS on the battery will prevent overcharging, and generally speaking regen is not going to add a whole lot to the battery pack. With that said, I would not personally want to be riding a bike with a full battery where you have turned the motor on but aren't using it - which has to be the case if you are getting regen, right?

I don't keep it charged up.I charged it when it was new 150 miles ago.It is to hot to do any real riding but I read it is bad for the battery to charge on the discharge connection.I tried to Google Regen but only breaking Regen came up nothing on actually riding.

Actually, most BMS have no overcharge protection on the output ports, which is how most of these are wired. This is the only downside to charging thru the output ports, also balancing function may not be active. Regen current usually very minimal, but repeat that a lot of times on a completely fully charged battery could be a problem.

Takes a rare situation to encounter a problem with this, but the OP is maybe doing exactly that. Run a bit of juice out of the battery before using regen.

The battery is usually 50 to 75% charge.I have only occasionally used the motor so Regen has kept the battery from dropping from my occasional use of the motor

I hadn't thought of the fact that regen would be charging thru the output port but of course it would have to. So there is no BMS protection.

Luckily Regen is of minimal use in terms of putting power back in, but its something to look out for if you are up near full charge on the pack.

Back