Tires & Tubes Converting to tubeless

1. On tires you don't need advise from US owners. In 29'ers Euro has a much wider and deep tire selection than the US. Using Amazon/ES as a reference point - if that works for you - much wider selection in Michelin, Schwalbe, Continental, even a great selection from Maaxis.

2. Liners - Mr Tuffy liners are available in ES.

3. Sealant different Euro chemical restrictions means by and large US top performing sealants like FlatOut are not available Euro. You do have Continental Revo which is a decent - should have haved Joe's available (look for Joe's Super Sealant), etc.

4. I have CO2 - 2x32Gr - but I have switched over to rechargeable pump - wide selection $30E-$50E - the Next Gen rechargeable Mini-Pumps will hit ES early next year - think the size of 3/4 Marlboro pack

Well I was going to recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB for sure. It's a good tire on & off road for me. I'm running the 26" version on my motorbike. Never had a flat in over 2years.

There is another Scwhalbe Marathon Plus that's not as aggressive tread & it's a great tire too.

He said 29 x 2.4” in the original post.
Thanks, I confirm. This is the original Bontrager size

When you get a flat, how big is the hole? If it’s not too big, I think tubeless and Flat-out is a good idea. Then carry a tube in your tool kit in case you get a puncture too big for the sealant to address.
Wait a minute: I understand that the valve of a tubeless tyre is sealed on the rim. How can I fit an inner tube to a tubeless tyre on the fly? Wouldn't it be difficult?
Schwalbe makes good puncture resistant tires, can you order those?
I can try... it is not available here but there is a distribution in the mainland (Spain) selling them. Any particular model to suggest?

Well I was going to recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB for sure. It's a good tire on & off road for me. I'm running the 26" version on my motorbike. Never had a flat in over 2years.

There is another Scwhalbe Marathon Plus that's not as aggressive tread & it's a great tire too.
I can try... it is not available here but there is an online seller in the mainland (Spain) selling them. Any particular model to suggest?

Thanks, I confirm. This is the original Bontrager size

Wait a minute: I understand that the valve of a tubeless tyre is sealed on the rim. How can I fit an inner tube to a tubeless tyre on the fly? Wouldn't it be difficult?

I can try... it is not available here but there is a distribution in the mainland (Spain) selling them. Any particular model to suggest?
You have to remove the tubeless valve when you use a tube in an emergency. That shouldn’t be a problem.

Tubeless doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get a puncture that will not self heal. It is still best to be prepared. Even if a puncture does heal itself, you still might lose enough pressure where you might want to add some air, so you should still ride with some type of inflator.

I
You have to remove the tubeless valve when you use a tube in an emergency. That shouldn’t be a problem.

Ok. My plan is to have a spare tire with me.
Tubeless doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get a puncture that will not self heal. It is still best to be prepared. Even if a puncture does heal itself, you still might lose enough pressure where you might want to add some air, so you should still ride with some type of inflator.
I usually like to ride on the side of caution. There are a lot of places on the island that are off the telephone network and difficult to get to, although I always carry an emergency Spot3 GPS locator in case I am seriously injured and unable to move.

I will definitely bring a small pump. The only problem is that carrying a pump and some patches is much lighter than carrying a pump and a full spare tubeless tyre. Plus, you are unprotected if you pinch your tyre twice... Mmmhhhh.... Maybe removing the valve would be much easier.

You need to be careful NOT to have your head chase this too far - REASONABLE flat prevention and REASONABLE on the trail repairs should be your guide. You don't want to become a Doomsday Survivorist (unless that is your thing)
For my Explorer/Trail bike - (1I I choose to Decent Tubes in Tubeless Tires no reason not to (2) I use Mr Tuffy tire liners (3) liberal amounts of talc between tube & tire for install (4) I use FlatOut Sealant (here in US) or ANYTHING better than Slime.
I do carry a spare tube - tools for front or rear tire removal>
I do carry Radial Tire patches and a C-Clamp for Sidewall Gash repair (from the inside of the tire) - from my Moab MTB days - but a 80lb eBike doesnt get "jumped" like I jump my 27lb MTB
If you have a C02 inflator - MAKE SURE you have at least CO2 practice fill BEFORE you go on the Trail so you are familiar with the process/handling and that you know how many cartridges to carry for fill.
I choose rechargeable pump - its handy dandy

What are the advantages to a tubeless tire? I guess on a road bike or race bike I could see tubeless being a good thing, Less overall weight.

But I guess I cant see tubeless being better or a advantage with offroad type riding.
I would think a kevlar reinforced tire & a heavy duty tube with Sportsman FlatOut would be the best option. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm asking this cause idk the answer & would like to learn something along the way as well.

Pros of Tubeless Bike Tires:
  • Puncture Resistance: Tubeless tires can seal small punctures instantly as they often contain a liquid sealant
  • Ride Quality: They can offer a smoother ride since the tire can absorb impacts better without a rigid tube inside
  • Lower Pressure: They can be run at lower pressures, improving traction and comfort without the risk of pinch flats
  • Weight Savings: Removing the inner tube can reduce the weight of the wheel, aiding in acceleration and climbing
  • Reduced Rolling Resistance: The absence of friction between the tire and an inner tube can reduce rolling resistance
Cons of Tubeless Bike Tires:
  • Setup and Maintenance: The initial setup can be complex, and they require periodic refilling of sealant
  • Air Retention: Some tubeless systems may not hold air as well as tubed systems, requiring more frequent inflation
  • Compatibility: Not all rims and tires are compatible, and conversion can be tricky or unreliable
  • Mounting Difficulty: Some tubeless tires can be very tight and difficult to mount, possibly requiring special tools
  • Cost: Tubeless systems can be more expensive upfront compared to traditional tire and tube setups

an update: I found a(nother) company that could make the conversion in a day here for 15$ on top of the cost of the components.

Now I have to decide what kind of tires to choose from.

BTW, it's a german company recently installed on the island that offers a lot of services, including gravel and downhill training, hiring of protective equipment, passage up to the mountain, multiple-day travel support, etc. They respond pretty quickly. I will give them a try after the conversion.

Back