Cheapest Full Suspension eMTB Review: 750W Ecotric Tornado $999

ADDvanced

Local time
2:24 PM
hey guys, full disclosure, Ecotric sent me this bike to do a review, so it did not cost me anything. That said, this bike is currently $999 and with full suspension and a 750w motor, it's kind of a crazy amount of bike for your dollar. I did a full review here:

Pros: $999
Full suspension
750 watt motor
Samsung battery
26mph top speed
30mph range
Well made frame

Cons: Fork is pretty budget, okay on street but not great for single track, but gets job done
Heavy, 63lbs
Pedal assist comes on late and stays on like half a second too long
Grips are awful lol

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer it. I've put 60 miles on it now and had a lot of fun!

Deleted misunderstood poorly worded version of why I don't like beginners getting ripped off but sounded bad. I am dumb.

For anyone paying attention, and I have not watched the video, THIS is how you present a review. You announce the compensation, and do not just post a link to a company ad for a couple dollars.

I watched your vid. I didn't hear you address anything about why it was so great for large people. Are there different frame sizes? What's its weight capacity? Where is your annoyance for large people and beginners coming from? You're actually a beginner in this situation too! A lot of the issues you were talking about could have been fixed if there was access to the peddle assist and other motor controls. What's the deal with the rear suspension? Is it adjustable? What's the travel on it? That 500$ off promotional link is pretty sweet. That's real savings. There's a market for that bike, I don't know if large people is the right one though. Kids for sure.

As a large person I don't know why you are upset with me.I bicycle multiple times daily.Full disclosure I am retired.I ride with out motor most of the time.

For anyone paying attention, and I have not watched the video, THIS is how you present a review. You announce the compensation, and do not just post a link to a company ad for a couple dollars.
Thanks man. I am not trying to mislead anyone.

Honestly, until they approached me I never even considered an e-bike; I don't live in the city so the step through/basic ones don't do anything for me, and all the e-mtbs I had seen until now were like $5-6k, which.... when compared to even a 125cc dirtbike, are a total joke from a performance standpoint. That said, at the time I didn't really understand the real purpose behind e-bikes.

Now that I have some seat time in this thing (just crossed 60 miles), I think I am starting to get it. I definitely would NOT want a e-road bike; road biking is all about your body and going much faster just seems like getting more dangerous for no reason. For single track stuff near me, with jumps, well... I don't know. I had a ton of fun riding this thing lately, and it sure takes the suck out of climbs. That said, it's less of a workout, and the bike is noticeably heavier. I feel like overall I cannot ride as aggressive, as my body mass to bike mass ratio gets worse, and it's becomes a bit more like riding a dirt bike. Again, this is an entry level e-mtb, so it weighs 62lbs.

Where it DOES excel tho.... is being a f***ing hooligan, boys! Most of my channel is fast cars, boats, sleds, etc, but I find myself taking this thing for short local trips instead of my 911. Because I'm not worrying about 'slowing down' by cutting into softer surfaces, I find myself just riding it like a 12 year old that just discovered energy drinks; I'll jump curbs, cut across culverts, go through parking lots and behind buildings, jump small stairs, just generally drive it like I used to ride bikes when I was a kid, when I didn't have a car.

In this aspect of riding, they are so much fun! I'm enjoying it immensely, and looking forward to throwing a few mods at it; new front fork, drop post, and new chainring so I can get some more pedal on the top end.

If you're riding single track, all the time, I get why people spend so much on these, but at the same time, that is so much money. I really feel like one of these $999 bikes with a few upgrades would be plenty bike for 90% of the riders I see out there.

I watched your vid. I didn't hear you address anything about why it was so great for large people.
Lower stepover height, mtb frame geomtry, kind of like my 07 specialized XC bike, full suspension. I see a lot of larger people wanting full sus emtb compared to the lighter duty city bikes. So this bike should be on their radar.
Are there different frame sizes?
Nope, just the one. Feels like a Trek large, ish, to me.
What's its weight capacity?
265lbs.
Where is your annoyance for large people and beginners coming from?
Large people, I see them often on crazy high end 5k+ e-mtbs. They are just getting into the sport, and they're not doing huge drops, they're not tackling crazy terrain, they're just riding single track and exercising. That's awesome. But the bikes I see most of them riding are like way more bike than they actually need; the expensive name brand ones are far better for more extreme riding with the mid mounted motors, more travel, slacker head tube geometry, more downhill and jump focused, which is NOT what these people are doing.
It's their money, they can buy whatever they want, but I don't like seeing people getting tricked into spending way more than they need to spend. I have known some bikeshops to be rather predatory when they find a naive customer.
You're actually a beginner in this situation too!
Yeah, and I'm riding a $999 bike, not a $6k one. It's not going to hold me back for a long time.

A lot of the issues you were talking about could have been fixed if there was access to the peddle assist and other motor controls.
Right? I am looking into this. I'm wondering about changing pedal sensors, or controllers in general. What's interesting about these chinese emtb components is that a lot of them seem to be interchangable.
What's the deal with the rear suspension? Is it adjustable? What's the travel on it?
Honestly, I have no idea lol. Imho the front fork needs more of an upgrade than the back. For now.
That 500$ off promotional link is pretty sweet. That's real savings. There's a market for that bike, I don't know if large people is the right one though. Kids for sure.

Definitely NOT for kids, it's an adult sized bike. You don't have to be large to enjoy it, again, I just hate newbies being scalped at retail stores for more than they actually needed, and I have a feeling a lot of that is going around right now.

As a large person I don't know why you are upset with me.I bicycle multiple times daily.Full disclosure I am retired.I ride with out motor most of the time.
Sorry bro! That came out wrong, and I think you misunderstood me. Please read my previous post. It's great your riding, love it! Just don't like seeing people get ripped off. Cheers!

For under a thousand dollars, it's really cheap enough to get an ebike like that, I'm going to get an emtb

anfork: if you get the Ecotric would you please post your results. We've owned/rode our Aventon Levels and added knobby front tires for better traction on green mtb trails but recently rode some NW AR Oz trails=spectacular. I think the duel suspension and hopefully longer wheel base will make for a safer ride so very interested in the Ecotric. Thanks

Thanks for the NWA compliment - especially from a a Colorado guy ! We are forunate in our area to have continued funding for the OZ system..

It does say full suspension, but I would be skeptical about taking it to some of my local Colorado mountains.
But, on the other hand, for a price like this, it could make a nice XC tool.

I have owned this bike for close to a year. At the price it's being offered for now it's going to be tough to beat this bike. The bike seems to be well-made, it doesn't squeak or rattle on bumpy terrain. The suspension components appear to be decent although one of the forks on the front is little noisy, and there are signs that the suspension could be rubbing or something. It makes noise on one side and you can see where the fork gets dirty a lot quicker than the other side. The remote Front suspension lockout switch seems ridiculous, especially since this bike could really benefit from an adjustable suspension. Nevertheless, it has great battery life and plenty of power. So far it has been a reliable ride for errands and recreation. Based on my experience with this bike for the past year, I can recommend it, especially at it's current price.

Back