Velowave Ghost E-bike - Unboxing, Assembly, Add-ons, Tips and Review

jcr6502

Local time
2:03 PM
During the black Friday sales we'd decided it would be a good time to purchase an E-bike for me. I'd chosen the Velowave given height and weight requirements, also it was a company that had parts and after market support The battery size and motor power is more than sufficient. I'm documenting the entire experience here right from the unboxing, which I heard is extremely well packaged, and its true. I'm not looking for speed. I have motorcycles for this. I'm looking for something to get me back into cycling.

Assembly was straight forward. There were two sections missing or wrong in the manual that were affixed as labels to the bike as corrections or additions to the instructions. Tools and some spares were provided for the build. I attempted to use these tools for assembly.

I charged the battery fully to 100% to balance the cells, though its a good Idea to never leave the batteries stored above 80%. I'd planned on testing the bike shortly thereafter. Charging the battery outside the bike only indicates a full charge. Partial should be done on the bike.

An included headlight was also installed, quite bright, and its control is integrated with the LCD display. Since there was a headlight though, there was no place for the included front reflector, also the pictures on the website did not show a front reflector on their bikes.

The brakes did work out of the box but required some adjustment for my preference, I took some slack out of both sides so the pull on the handles were even and the throw was reduced. There is no specific tire pressure so I took the middle of the rated value of 40psi.

With the battery fully charged it was time for it to be installed, this required the key for installation and removal for added security. Now having the battery installed the LCD screen can be reviewed though I don't go into too much detail yet I go through a few basic features.

Though not on camera I took the bike for a ride and now Ive collected a list of items I need to made some ergonomic modifications. That's for the next video.

After finishing assembly and a test drive in part one, I knew I needed to purchase some ergonomic upgrades before I continued. With everything now here and life getting in the way I continue. This includes a water bottle mount that I already had, though they only provide a down-tube location for it which is not ideal. I also added riders to raise and bring my handlebars back. They provided a free bell by mail but I did not install it.

The seat that comes with the bike is really bad, but I have a gel cover that I use at the gym so I put it right on and it fit just fine. Next came a handlebar phone holder which I bolted on.

Also, a test was done, at 80% four weeks ago it only lost 2% of the charge which was very good. At this point I go through all of the menu settings foe the video. This also includes password protection to turn on the computer which is a nice security feature. I also go through the advanced setting though I do not recommend any changes there.

My Apple airtag arrived, Ive removed the speaker and purchased a watterbottle airtag holder, as well as a lower profile water bottle holder that can fit on the bike with the airtag holder. Id discoved earlier that my old waterbottle is too tall and doesnt fit so ill need to order a shorter one.

Yes, I do at this point conduct a live evaluation of the bike with a chest mount go-pro. Not too long, just a few minutes.

The front suspension was evaluated for different adjustment. There are future plans for a seat suspension and road tyres.

A smaller bottle fit, and in the evening I was able to test the headlight which was way overkill, but I finally reach the point where it was ready for a charge around 40% and I was looking to get it up to 80% as I dont keep it above 80% till just before I ride it. Since the status doesnt work while it charges I have to do some testing to determine that it takes about 2 hours to get from 40 to 80%.

But thats it until suspension and type upgrades.....

I have the same bike except in green which I've had for 9 trouble free months. Didn't get a head light with mine but after seeing yours I'll probally go ahead order one from Velowave. I changed my handlebars out to a cruiser style so I had a more upright riding position to relieve some pressure on my back and wrists. I also changed out the seat to one made by Boss which is alot more comfortable than the one that came with the bike. Thanks for showing how to reset the trip odometer.

Back