Carbon Wheels for Trek Allant 8?

TrekAllant

Local time
7:29 AM
Hello other ebikers. Forgive the silly question.

I am a traditional cyclist who enjoys riding lots of miles of all different kinds on different bikes. I would not have spent this much money but this year a Trek shop was closing and offered "it shall not pass this way again" it was so cheap so I pulled the trigger on an Allant 8 with various accessories given the eye popping discounts.

I know the ebike has its own power but there's method to my madness. Its just about maintaining momentum with this bike especially downhill or with groups and make it easier for her as this bike has very nice heavy duty wheels/tires but they are heavy that it doesn't roll like a normal bike, never mind one with nice wheels. When you get off the power it slows down quite a bit. Uphill she flies, but downhill I have to brake and its frustrating as I have to stop pedaling and brake all the time to avoid losing her (my bikes have very nice wheels they roll fast). Also eventually want to bring her into group rides and she needs that rolling smoothness and momentum so this would make it easier for her.

Looking at some decent models to give her that "zing". I do not want to spent $4,000 on some Tour de France winning specials that weigh less than most gnats. But I don't want cheap chinese carbon wheels that are garbage either. I have looked, there are services but nobody will warranty an ebike wheel. I know almost nothing about ebikes until this point am I out of my mind or is there a reasonably priced carbon wheel for ebikes that might be compatible and rated for ebikes with the Allant 8?

The drag of the motor retards speed coasting. Tell the spouse to downshift and pedal faster. Next shot would be to change those 2.4" tires with 25mm @110psi. Last resort would be to teach her a really compact aero tuck for downhill spinning. Wheels on her new bike are not the reason you brake on downhills.

No experience with the wheels, but I ride in a road club. There are a couple older members that bought road eBikes. (Domane) and they have a hard time keeping up with the faster riders downhill too.

It’s not the wheels.

They accept it and just catch up on the climbs.

Back