buying first bike

woodytwoshoes

Local time
12:53 AM
Hi im new here, looking at buying first bike this spring. want to ride both pavement and gravel, trails and logging roads. so a mountain bike with fairly knobby tires but not a fat bike. would like to be able to do 100 kms roughly on a charge. fenders would be a plus as well. throttle or no? please recommend brands and models.
Thank you
Dave

A few questions to help us help you:
  1. Hi Dave, where do you live? Your local market will decide what is available. I see you mentioned kms instead of miles, so not USA.
  2. What's your budget?
  3. How much exercise do you want?
For 100 km (62 miles) on a charge, you're either going to be buying and carrying an extra battery or you'll want a lightweight bike, so that when the battery dies, you can reasonably pedal home. It's a delicate balance between having enough electrical power for that range and ending up with something REALLY heavy that doesn't ride like a bike any more, or having something lightweight, and without as much power, but which is more pedal-able.

You have a AWESOME riding area - one of the Top BC destinations - one of the best ways for you to research - do you know the people at Gerick Sport's ? . Rent a eBike from them over a couple of weekdns (when warmer) - BEST to 1ST FIND OUT what style eBike you feel best about riding. The eBIKE RIDING SHOOT-OUT COMPARISON is worth way more than the tech-talk-speak . The Mountain Bike's that gobble up in your area are Top Tech Mountain Bikes - my main MB Steeds are 23lbs-26lbs - understand a eBike is a entirely different animal - and my fav eBikes weigh in 75-85lbs - my MTB's are 1-thrill - my eBikes are a distinctly different thrill

The advice to rent bikes for a few days is excellent advice. This will give you a real feel for the ride and how much range you’ll get.

Hello, ya im in the Kootenays and it looks like a great riding area! I will definitely rent a few different bikes and see what happens. I have ridden motorcycles most of my life so I have no idea what to expect. One shop I went to doesn't sell bikes with throttles because its illegal in Canada to ride public trails with throttle. However a throttle seems like a good idea to me? Can't wait tilll spring!

what about brands of online ebikes? any recommendations ? do I really need to spend 6K if im not a serious mountain biker?
What brands are AVAILABLE to be shipped there? Can you get Aventon? I have four eBikes and had two others besides and my Aventon is the best quality in the sub-$3k price bracket.

The serious eMTBs are all mid-drive for better balance while airborne, but if you're not jumping it doesn't matter as much. They have quality suspension, but it's the same with that.

Go poke around in the General Discussion forum; there's at least one recent thread where one member asked for the collective experience in a concise way about what we had, what we liked, do we recommend it, etc.

There's also a site I read frequently called Electrek.co. They do pretty good reviews and they point out downsides. (they don't STRESS the downsides too much...) I've found their advice to be on-point.

Last thing: Over on the south side of the border, there's a saying that's often attributed to Canadians: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing." I've spent some money getting cold weather clothing for my road bike. Clothing for most eBikes doesn't even have to be bike-specific. For example, my ski helmet replaces my bike helmet. Wynd glasses replace regular sunglasses. Ski mittens replace regular riding gloves. Add a balaclava for the REALLY cold days. A ski jacket is plenty warm enough, if you're doing ANY of your own work.

Over in Scandinavia, they ride in snow and ice; just have to buy studded tires. They do have better bike infrastructure than most of this continent, though.

What brands are AVAILABLE to be shipped there? Can you get Aventon? I have four eBikes and had two others besides and my Aventon is the best quality in the sub-$3k price bracket.

The serious eMTBs are all mid-drive for better balance while airborne, but if you're not jumping it doesn't matter as much. They have quality suspension, but it's the same with that.

Go poke around in the General Discussion forum; there's at least one recent thread where one member asked for the collective experience in a concise way about what we had, what we liked, do we recommend it, etc.

There's also a site I read frequently called Electrek.co. They do pretty good reviews and they point out downsides. (they don't STRESS the downsides too much...) I've found their advice to be on-point.

Last thing: Over on the south side of the border, there's a saying that's often attributed to Canadians: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing." I've spent some money getting cold weather clothing for my road bike. Clothing for most eBikes doesn't even have to be bike-specific. For example, my ski helmet replaces my bike helmet. Wynd glasses replace regular sunglasses. Ski mittens replace regular riding gloves. Add a balaclava for the REALLY cold days. A ski jacket is plenty warm enough, if you're doing ANY of your own work.

Over in Scandinavia, they ride in snow and ice; just have to buy studded tires. They do have better bike infrastructure than most of this continent, though.
thank you for the great info! Im probably gonna be a fair weather rider as im getting older and have put my time in on snowmobiles and motorcycles in all kinds of weather. I will try out some bikes locally here and see if I even like it. Then I can determine what type of riding I would do. No one here sells a bike with a throttle so I would have to order one without test driving it which I don't really like. Anyway, thanks again for the reply and info.
Dave

Back