Bopzin Ridstar

penndan

Local time
9:10 PM
A couple of days ago I ordered from Amazon a 1500 watt Bopzin Ridstar for $999 plus $200 shipping. This morning I saw that the price now advertised is $1099 plus $100 shipping. Very clever pricing, in deed!

When I was looking at any bike for my stepdaughter‘s boyfriend, I noticed that the magic cycle commuter was $650 with free shipping.

I put it in my wish list to keep an eye on it. Then a week later, it was on sale for $400 plus $200 shipping. Whatever, it was a $50 discount all in all. But yes, you do have to watch Amazon with their tricks.

All right! Fedex came through and delivered my new 1500 watt Bopzin Ridstar 26 inch fat tire step through ebike. I should maybe stop saying Bopzin because nowhere on the bike or the box or the user manual does it say Bopzin. The manual says it was made by the Huizhou Xingqishi Sporting Goods Co., Ltd. in Schenzchen, Guangdong, China. So here it is.

IMG_1917.jpeg

I did just enough assembly to get it rideable. No rear rack or front basket. It's cold here in Minneapolis, so I took a short ride to test the power and see if it really does 35 mph and it does! More later!

For anyone thinking about buying this bike, the ads say that this bike will fit someone 5 foot five inches tall. Thats crap! I'm 5-10 and when I'm mounted on the bike with the stock seat as low as it will go, I can't touch my toes to the ground. Here's why.
IMG_1919.jpeg

The seat post has about 2 inches of spring built in and the seat has a mechanism to rotate the seat forward so that the battery can be removed. Nice touches but they increase the height of the seat by at least four inches.
As you can see in the first photo, I've changed the seat and post which can be lowered to a height that fits me. Even with it set as low as possible I can just touch my toes to the ground.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

This afternoon I installed the rear rack,
IMG_1920.jpeg
front basket and front fender.
And lastly, with the free saddle bags.
IMG_1921.jpeg

I'll probably never use the saddle bags, but who knows.
Took another ride in sunny 40 degree weather and I like the bike more this time. So far nothing wrong with the ride and the speed.

But still this bike is slightly too big for me. This is a big boy bike. When mounted, I can only touch my toes to the ground. That's not ideal. And I'm having to put in extra effort to get my 86 year old foot up and over the step thru. That will just get worse as I age more.
My favorite ride was my Himiway Escape Pro 20 inch fat tire moped. It's like your first serious girlfriend. You don't remember whether she dumped you or you dumped her. But you kind of want her back.

The grass is always greener and other folky lies.
I wanted just a little more acelleration and top speed. So I toyed with adding a 1500 watt rear wheel kit and bought one from a noted seller. Couldn't get it to turn on. Returned it to the seller. Then talked about adding a 1500 watt front wheel kit but got talked out of that idea by Elhegpah talking about the possibility of the motor tearing off the axle flanges and digging into the pavement resulting in my front teeth also digging into the pavement. So I decided to sell the 2 year old Himiway and buy a bike that came with a 1500 rear wheel motor. And somewhere I picked up the idea that 27 inch wheels were the way to go. Don't know where or why this would be true. So here I am wanting my old girlfriend back again.

Maybe another eMoped is in your future. The HyperScrambler 2 would give you the same inseam issues. Maybe a Ride1Up Revv 1?

Give it some time to adjust to the bigger, heavier bike though.

I think one thing we do is think about a typical 20” wheeled mechanical bike and forget how much extra diameter the fat tires add. 20” wheels + 4” x 2 is more like a 26” wheeled mountain bike, in the mechanical world.

And a 26 inch fat tire comes out to about a 30 inch wheel. If bigger is supposed to be smoother, I'm not feeling that with the new big bike.
I won't do very much more riding in the Minnesota winter and we will be gone on a world cruise for the first four months of 2024, so maybe next summer I'll look around at what is being sold in the moped category. Maybe with a big motor and 20 to 24 inch wheels with 2 1/2 inch street tires.
Or maybe go to a private builder to do a custom bike for me.
Many ebike dreams while I'm soaking up sun on the cruise ship deck.

Just ordered the bike. Can’t wait. Just put my speedrid up for sale. Can’t get my leg over the seat to get on and at 72 plus I don’t want to fall. Here is a couple of photos of my speedrid with total upgrade. Added Bafang 48v 750 W rear hub with 48v 17.5Amp battery. Added a 12V Dc to Dc converter running complete lighting system (turn, running, headlight, brake lights and scooter horn (loud). 4usb ports, and 12V ACC outlet with lighter for character. This was DIY e-bike 5 for me. All done now and just want to ride. Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 25
I will receive my bike tomorrow and will post my review later. The question I have is about the controller. Is it under the battery dock or in the battery? After a short while I want to add a second battery with dual battery balancer. Pretty easy on past bike with simple Y adapter but don’t know about this one. Any help would be appreciated.

I will receive my bike tomorrow and will post my review later. The question I have is about the controller. Is it under the battery dock or in the battery? After a short while I want to add a second battery with dual battery balancer. Pretty easy on past bike with simple Y adapter but don’t know about this one. Any help would be appreciated.
Both!

There is a controller in the battery (or there SHOULD be) called the BMS: battery management system. It should keep the battery pack within temperature and current limits, as well as prevent overcharging and over-discharging.

Then, the motor controller will be under the seat. This is what takes the DC current from the battery pack and commutates it into 3-phase AC that the motor can use. It changes the wave shape to make more or less power, as you demand.

Both!

There is a controller in the battery (or there SHOULD be) called the BMS: battery management system. It should keep the battery pack within temperature and current limits, as well as prevent overcharging and over-discharging.

Then, the motor controller will be under the seat. This is what takes the DC current from the battery pack and commutates it into 3-phase AC that the motor can use. It changes the wave shape to make more or less power, as you demand.
Thanks, very familiar with controllers but couldn’t see where the motor controller was in the photos. If under the seat then second battery will be easy.

For anyone thinking about buying this bike, the ads say that this bike will fit someone 5 foot five inches tall. Thats crap! I'm 5-10 and when I'm mounted on the bike with the stock seat as low as it will go, I can't touch my toes to the ground. Here's why.
View attachment 12381
The seat post has about 2 inches of spring built in and the seat has a mechanism to rotate the seat forward so that the battery can be removed. Nice touches but they increase the height of the seat by at least four inches.
As you can see in the first photo, I've changed the seat and post which can be lowered to a height that fits me. Even with it set as low as possible I can just touch my toes to the ground.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I’m getting mine tomorrow. Is the motor controller under the seat? If not where? Thanks

I’m getting mine tomorrow. Is the motor controller under the seat? If not where? Thanks
There is an access plate under the bottom bracket left side where the controller is. Removed the access plate and the controller wires are easily accessible. The XT60 connector is right there for using a y cable and/or battery balancer for second battery. Closed it up getting ready for first ride. Later.

Back