Bontrager Flare RT switching ON autonomously?

pagheca

Local time
10:49 PM
This has little to do with ebikes, but I have Bontrager Flare RT rear light--great lamp--that has been turning on by itself for some time.... :oops:

It has been happening since it connected to my Garmin 645 wristwatch during a bike ride. At that point I occasionally get a message on the watch that says something like "light connected" and the light comes on.

The last time it happened tonight. The light is bright and even though I keep the ebike in another room it looked like the Secret Service entered my home to arrest someone.... Quite creepy. Plus it constantly drains, so I'm never sure if I can use it.

Hardly anything like this may have happened to someone else and can help me, but ... I'll give it a try anyway. I am trying to remove it from the devices connected to my watch but cannot understand how. These lights can connect via ANT+ and BT to a Garmin EDGE, not to a generic Garmin device like a watch.

It sounds like they have not refined the wireless connection very well and it is mixing up "connection" with "toggle power" functions.

I think I would disconnect it from my watch and just use it manually. Maybe report it to Bontrager and see if they have anything to say about it.

The problem is I NEVER tried to connect the light to my watch. And now I do not know how to remove it... sometime (just minutes ago while I was fiddling with the watch setting) it started flashing after a message "Network forming" show up on my watch. Immediately after a "Battery light is low" and "Error 1"... Misterious...

I found some functionality able to control the lights on my ebike on my Garmin 645:

1700075806537.jpeg

1700075827821.jpeg

1700075840612.jpeg

It may be helpful with the tail light but it acts autonomously... Apparently one can create a "network" of lights and control them together with a single command, configure the light model (pulsating, high beam, low beam) and even the colour of the led... When I purchased these things I didn't read the manual and wasn't aware of this...

I'm going crazy with this. The lights keep connecting to my watch and turning on every time I get into bluetooth range, so I end up with dead lights when I need them.

I looked at the documentation for my watch-a Garmin 645-but couldn't find a way to unpair the lights...

Contacting Garmin now...

Months went by, but I could not find a solution for this problem. Apparently it is a s/w bug. The lights on my bike turn on randomly when connected to my Garmin watch bluetooth. I put them in a metal cookie box overnight...

Back